Vibes at 65+mph caused by struts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibes at 65+mph caused by struts?

Since I got my Protege in September 2003, there is some vibration at speeds over 65 mph. So far I have just lived with it. I have had new tires installed, had an alignment done and the vibes were still there.

This past weekend I installed new hub bearings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. The vibes were still there. I had the tires balanced today. Vibes are still there. I plan to install new ZX2 struts sometime in the next few weeks.

Could the vibrations at higher speeds be caused by the struts? Maybe they have lost enough of their damping ability and I get the shakes. I figure new struts can't hurt, but until I install the new ones, I won't know. I'm just asking for some of your experiences. If new struts and an subsequent alignment don't fix the problem, I'll be back looking for some more ideas.

Thanks!

"Mazderati"
    91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
    Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
    Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
    AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

have you had your wheels checked to see if they're bent at all??

93' 5spd DX
    R.I.P

Comment

have you changed the rotors lately? I changed out mine and i got rid of the vibration
      NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

Well, when he got the tires balanced, hopefully the tech was looking at the wheel. It's pretty easy to see a bent wheel that way.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

for me, a wheel balance and alignment got rid of the vibes....
          Last edited by whistler; 07-23-2004, 02:33 PM.

Comment

The wheels are aluminum and I would hope the tech would have checked them, but who knows.

As for the rotors, they are all less than a year old. I thought that the vibes when braking was due to a warped rotor, so I bought a new front rotor and swapped in on, but the vibes were still there. Since replacing the hub bearings, I have no more vibrations when braking, so I solved that problem.

I suppose the shaking could be the rotors and I know the pads are always in slight contact with the rotors, but the rotors shouldn't cause shaking when there is no pressure applied to the pedal/caliper/pads.

"Mazderati"
            91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
            Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
            Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
            AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Working...
            X