33 Mpg!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

33 Mpg!

I just drove home from Wisconsin and decided to check my gas mileage. I filled up in Cambridge, WI, then again just now in Cottage Grove, MN, a distance of 271 miles. It only took 8.2 gallons to fill which works out to a tick over 33 miles to the gallon, all highway driving with speeds anywhere from 55 to 80mph.
    I love this car...
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

must be nice... I got a bad O2 sensor....seems like about 15mpg.

Comment

I have an 03 Protege with a 5-speed, and when I bought the car new, I rarely got over 26, but now that I've got a few miles on it, I seem to hit 33 or 34 once in a great while. I hope we both keep getting mileage like that.
      Last edited by Breiland; 07-25-2004, 09:50 AM.
      2003 Protege LX 5-speed

Comment

FIXED

Comment

The 3rd gen has been rated at an official 30-34 mpg on the freeway if you have a manual. If yo have an auto, well, that's the price you pay for your pansy convienence.
          I'm glad you're pleased, but getting 33 mpg is not that impressive.
          Top 10 tips for the poor guys who can't even get close:
          1. Driving style:
          Quit flailing the car. Drive like you're on the track and you'll get track-like mpg.
          Ease off the gas and coast more, like to stoplights. Time it so you don't have to stop. Brakes are the devil.
          Draft semis...a couple car lengths is enough to see improvements. Careful though.
          Shift early, before 4000 rpms. Avoid WOT like a STD
          2. Air up...take the oem recommended psi and add just 2-3 more lbs per tire
          3. Run a 0- or 5- weight synthetic oil. I prefer a 0-30 Amsoil.
          4. Stay on top of maintenance items...air filter, spark plugs, o2 sensor, fuel injectors cleaned.
          5. You MS guys need to stay out of boost.
          6. Improving intake/exhaust efficiency is not just for power...it can net more mpg if driven softly.
          7. Highway is good but watch the top speed...mpg typically drop like a rock over 70mph.
          8. Nice even throttle input, no passing squirts.
          9. Avoid idling for more then 2 minutes. Shut the car off. If the engine is running and the car is not moving, you're getting 0 mpg.
          10. Plan driving times around traffic patterns. Stuck in rush hour not only sucks, but it really sucks.

I've only had my 02 LX for a few weeks...I'm typically getting 33-35 and not even really trying. It helps that I live just off the interstate and commute 50 miles to work each way.
          Last edited by davens; 07-26-2004, 02:31 AM.

Comment

The EPA rating on my sticker was 25 city and 31 highway. Best MPG before this was 31.5. For the first 10,000 miles the average was more like 28. That's why I was impressed with 33. Most other cars I've had do worse than the EPA rating, not better.

On the daily commute, in stop-and-go (unavoidable fact of life), the average is around 26, up from 23-24 when it was new. This also makes me happy.

FYI, the car has 28,000 miles, tires are at 35psi cold, oil is 5w30 Valvoline synthetic. It's proabably due for new plugs, but other than that the maintenance is all up to date. I've been driving manuals for 15 years, and I know how to be smooth and not treat the throttle like an on/off switch. I do cruise a little fast on the interstate (75 or so) but I don't hammer it to get there.

If you're doing better on mileage than I am, well, good for you. I was just expressing my happiness that the mileage is steadily improving as the car wears in.
            ~Mark.
            2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

As long as you're happy with your mpg, that's all that matters...I was posting the tips for the guys who will always pop in and say, "I get 17 mpg and I don't know why."

Comment

Originally posted by sLoPrO2k
                must be nice... I got a bad O2 sensor....seems like about 15mpg.
                I knew why.

Comment

Was my post that accusatory? Everybody got all defensive...

Okay, the tips were for the people who will typically reply to a thread like this that get less then optimum...you know what, just forget it.

Comment

went i wetn 2 buffalo lats week i filled up before i left, i get like 35mpg ... :D

Comment

typical i full up on the 92 octane stuff and i fill it up all the way... yeah with the 3rd gen proteges you can put like two gallons in. and i can go 500 miles on one tank.

if i fill it up all the way i can go 140-150 miles without the gas niddle to budge off the full line.

you may think it's bs but i dunno... thats just how my car runs i guess. i think i got it to 35-38 mpg but thats is completely freeway miles too..
                      sigpic
                      1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
                      1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
                      2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

Comment

Cambridge, WI is a nice little town. Ever see a red Shelby Cobra reproduction car driving around there?

"Mazderati"
                        91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
                        Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
                        Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
                        AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

i get around 30 mpg in my PGT with 180K miles on it, i'm happy , very suprised, but happy at the same time... i just got 25 mpg city driving, but i was driving like an ass the whole time with it way up in the rpm's :p:...
                          2003.5 Protege - Project Car
                          1993 Probe SE - Daily Driver

Comment

Yeah, I just took a trip down to Myrtle Beach from MI (~830 miles) and got about 32 both directions. I only filled up once and coasted in with just under a quarter tank on the return trip. Definitely awesome on the milage though and only 17k miles on the car itself.

2003 Sunlight Silver ES 5 Speed
                            www.cardomain.com/id/bigwoo23

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Comment

My normal city driving MPG is 30-33...highway is 35 on up, once I even hit 40 on a long road trip. 2.0L, 5-speed, Injen CAI, AWR header and Racing Beat cat-back. Works great. And I wouldn't say I drive my car easy by any means...

Comment

Working...
                              X