My test drive day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My test drive day

So in celebration of my 18th birthday last friday, I went and test drove 4 cars today (3 5 speeds and one manumatic). First car I drove was actually my first encounter w/ AWD and turbo, drove a silver Subie WRX wagon (2002 I think), and damn, it was stupid fast, and the sound. . . wow, nothing quite like a horizontally opposed turbocharged engine, needless to say it was one of my favorites. Second on the list was a new Mazda3 5 door (only one on the lot that was stick), it was a blast to drive, almost as much fun as the subie. I accidentally hit the rev limiter (redline is about 500 rpm lower than my proty), the sales man said that the computer controls the rev limiter and that it's different for each gear. The 3 reminded me a lot of my protege, in a good way. Seemed like an evolution of the protege, shift feel was awesome, throttle felt good (electronic throttle, very cool). Third was a Saturn ION redline, had good feel, instant power (205 hp s/c) , the shifter was very well designed and placed, but I didn't like the center mounted gauge cluster. Last (but most definitely not least) I drove a black BMW 330ci SMG, two words: holy ****. The car was incredible beyond words, took it on the freeway, pressed the 'sport' button and punched it, using the paddle shifters, I actually had to slow down before getting on the freeway because I was going faster than the rest of the traffic, ****in incredible. But yeah, if I had to rank them, it would go like this: 1. Subaru WRX, 2. BMW 330ci, 3. Mazda3 2.3L, 4. Saturn ION redline. Some of you may be wondering why the hell I put an $18K subaru ahead of a $45K BMW. . . thing is, the Subaru felt more down to earth than the bmw, it had a little bit more feel to it, the bmw handled incredibly, overall performed incredibly, but it felt insulated (I know I know, that's the point), I just liked the way the subie felt. Realistically for me, purchasing a new car, I would probably be between the Mazda3 5 door and the Subaru WRX wagon, they were just about the same price, but the wrx was used, but still under warranty, so I dunno, it would be a very difficult decision. Needless to say, today I had the most fun I've had in a long long time, I think I needed it, because I can't wipe this stupid grin off of my face
Working...
X