GB: 1st Gen E-Spec Headlight assembly kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GB: 1st Gen E-Spec Headlight assembly kit

This Group Buy is for New E-spec LHD Glass Headlight Assembly for 1st Generation Proteges.

The quality of the North American Protege headlights have always been an issue. Now that plastic lamps lens have hazed and faded, the problem can become a safety issue.
    E-Spec lighting uses the better designed H4 bulbs combined with a sharp light cut off to keep the light pointed to where you need to see, on the road. North American Protege's use DOT standard lamps. DOT spec lights point power into the sky in order to light signage overhead . This results in the loss of the lights intensity and cast. This is what gives that "tunnel" effect in snow and heavy rain conditions. The poor design of our stock 9004 bulbs doesn't help either. Properly aimed, E-spec headlights should not bother oncoming traffic using higher wattage bulbs.

The kit comes complete with all you will need to convert your DOT system over to E-spec. Both 90-92 "Square" and 93-94 323 "slant" styles are available. Note, these are the proper Left Hand Drive versions of the E-spec lamps, unlike JDM Right Hand Drive version that will aim the lights the wrong way, attracting blue and red lights.
    The optional High Output kit let you run bulbs up to 100/130 watts!
    New JDM Clear Corners are also available.

The basic kit includes:
    - New Glass Lens Headlamps (please specify "square/slant")
    - New Orange Corner Lenses (required - to fit the assembly)
    - Corner Harnesses
    - 9004 -> H4 Adapters
    - H4 Bulbs
    - Corner Bulbs
    - Shipping in North America

High Output kit includes:
    - relay kit
    - upgraded Headlight bulbs

As many of you may know, the original group buy posted on the ProtegeClub forum was postponed, pending the outcome of legal issues regarding North American sales. The additional shipping and travel cost have to be reflected in the price of the product.
    Pricing:

Basic E-spec headlight Kit - $470US (9+ orders $425US)

High Output kit - $45US

JDM Clear Corners - $155
    Expect delivery of the lamps late October, early November.

*Note: These are E-spec lamps, not DOT approved, you should be aware that in some States these are illegal. In Canada and in the North Western States, I have read that they are legal. Check your local state laws if you have a concern. Using anything over 80 watts is considered "off road use only"
    *minimum 6 orders required.
    Last edited by rkives; 09-24-2003, 01:40 AM.

90 Protege GT(x)

Maybe you should post up the list of participants in this GB that you had on the other forum. Let's get a head count and see if these people are still in since most everybody posts over here now.
    Scott
    '94 Protege LX - gone, but not forgotten
    '96 Volvo 854T Platinum Limited Edition
    '98 Volvo V70 T5
    '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

I'm sorry, but I will probably not be interested in the GB anymore, I was on the old board.

I'm still debating if I'm even going to keep my 323 anymore, so there's a good chance I won't want the lights anymore. Sorry, guys
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

i know in canada they are legal. also this G/B would have awesome results if you let it grow for say 2 months. let people recoup their losses from tuition and books. (
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
          i know in canada they are legal. also this G/B would have awesome results if you let it grow for say 2 months. let people recoup their losses from tuition and books. (
          The situation with the supplier is that he has to Travel to Taiwan, to take delivery of the lamps and make arrangement to ship the extra boxes back. He is only able to fly there at certain times as this is not his full time gig (time off work). I know it would be easier if we could let it grow a while, but its just not possible at this time.
          I hope you might still be able to get in on this. With all the "issues" that had to be resolved, I don't think this supplier will be doing the lamp sale again in the near future.

Rick

90 Protege GT(x)

Comment

so what is the word about the G/B?? Could you restate the payment deadline? is it still a go? how many people are participating??
            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
            So his engine he goosed
            With much too much boost,
            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

The deadline I thought was October 10th. I paid the guy yesterday and he replied that I was #1 and he needed 9 more. Didn't everyone get the email from Rick a couple weeks ago?
              Scott
              '98 Volvo V70 T5
              '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

I emailed/PM'd the original people in the both forums plus a couple of more folks that expressed interest in the group buy. I have only heard back from 3 of the original 10 from the Protegeclub forum. The original date of purchase is for the 10th of October.

Please post if you are in or out.

I am not sure if the timeline can be extended to allow the buy to occur closer to the end of the year. But this may be a possibility.

For the base Espec Lamp kit, the price is $400. If 10 or more kits are sold, the price is $350.
                Last edited by rkives; 10-09-2003, 01:22 AM.

90 Protege GT(x)

Comment

C'mon guys, something like this may NEVER happen again - if you're on the fence, then allow me knock you off, onto the BUY THEM side of course . I want my lights dammit!
                  Scott
                  '98 Volvo V70 T5
                  '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

Originally posted by rkives
                    For the base Espec Lamp kit, the price is $400. If 10 or more kits are sold, the price is $350.
                    So, is this the new and improved price? And not the $470/$425 listed above. Strange that $75 would make a difference, but in mine, it does. Same with my friend (not on this list).
                    David Avard
                    '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                    '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                    '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

I emailed/PM'd everyone that said they were in the following message; based on the extended delivery date the price was revised:

Here's the scoop.
                      I just heard from the supplier, he has arranged an alternate ship method. He will be shipping back the lamps by some rented space on a sea container. This will save on shipping vs air. So that saves an additional $25 on the lamps. The price is now $400.
                      The plan is, he will book a flight by Oct 17th to fly 2 weeks later, to spend the weekend flying there, picking up the lamps, packing the shipment for the container, and flying back to Toronto. The container leaves on the 11th of November. He receives the shipment 21 days later, and re packs with wiring, and ships it out. Arriving to you around the 8th of December.
                      Orders are now being accepted and payment due by the 10th of October. The payment info:

International Postal Money Order "MUST BE INTERNATIONAL" 400USD to:

George Davies
                      PO Box 98022
                      2150 Burnhamthorpe Road West
                      Mississauga, ON L5L 5V4
                      Canada

or
                      Paypal to george.davies@chaiofangimports.com 400USD + 12USD for paypal charges.

- I just found out that the timeline can be extended to allow the buy to continue. But a "deposit" to show intent may be required.

Rick

90 Protege GT(x)

Comment

I may be able to swing $400 early december... possibly earlier if I can pickup a couple side web programming jobs.
                        2002 Ford Focus ZX3
                        1987 Mazda 323
                        1993 Protege LX (coming soon)

Comment

I forgot to check this thread before protege club went down. Did he say that he could get me a set of MX3 lights? If so, i'd be in on this groupbuy. Let me know!
                          93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                          02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                          05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Oh ya, if you can find info out about the MX3 headlights, I could probably find you 1-3 more buyers as well, since I know a few guys are interested in espec's.

Also....find out the price of the MX3 conversion. We won't need any kind of corner lights, just the headlight itself, since fitment isn't an issue with these. I'd imagine they'd be substantially cheaper if we don't need the two harnesses and two new corner housings
                            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Originally posted by rkives
                              I emailed/PM'd everyone that said they were in the following message; based on the extended delivery date the price was revised:

- I just found out that the timeline can be extended to allow the buy to continue. But a "deposit" to show intent may be required.

Rick
                              How much of a deposit? And when is the remainder due? I have no problem with putting half down, and the other half in a month or so (by the time they arrive in North America).
                              David Avard
                              '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                              '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                              '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

Working...
                              X