After tune up, rough idle, lack acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After tune up, rough idle, lack acceleration

Before I head back to the shop I had the car in, Ill describe my problems here, if anyone might have any ideas.
    Had a routine tune-up done to my '98 Protege, 1.5. Has round 81k miles, I bought the car used, and I dont have the previous maintenance records (if there are any )
    The tune-up consisted of a new timing belt, plugs and wires, rotor, oil filter, cam seals, water pump, transmission filter (this is an automatic also).

Right now, the idle seems a bit rougher, and acceleration is lacking. Buddy of mine said the timing could be off from the new timing belt, or the plugs/wires could be bad.
    Either way, Im taking it back in. Their parts and labor are guaranteed for 30 days, so I gotta take care of it pretty quick.
    After dropping a couple hundred bucks, I feel it should be running pretty top-notch.

Actualy, I suppose this is a rant, then a post asking for help, but either way, this is a useful forum
    '98 Protege (Sold at 125k miles)
    2006 Mazda3S Grand Touring, Heated Black Leather, Moonroof, Bose 6CD, Tow package (LOL)

Originally posted by skullone
    Before I head back to the shop I had the car in, Ill describe my problems here, if anyone might have any ideas.
    Had a routine tune-up done to my '98 Protege, 1.5. Has round 81k miles, I bought the car used, and I dont have the previous maintenance records (if there are any )
    The tune-up consisted of a new timing belt, plugs and wires, rotor, oil filter, cam seals, water pump, transmission filter (this is an automatic also).

Right now, the idle seems a bit rougher, and acceleration is lacking. Buddy of mine said the timing could be off from the new timing belt, or the plugs/wires could be bad.
    Either way, Im taking it back in. Their parts and labor are guaranteed for 30 days, so I gotta take care of it pretty quick.
    After dropping a couple hundred bucks, I feel it should be running pretty top-notch.

Actualy, I suppose this is a rant, then a post asking for help, but either way, this is a useful forum
    I don't understand it I'm just shy of 200k and I have barely any engine problems, mine all seem to be electrical.

For your problem I'd say check your plugs. Its soething thats pretty easy to do on your own and it doesn't cost all that much to buy new ones.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die" -Thomas Callaway

Comment

Also check your MAF sensor, I left mine off accidentally when I changed intakes and it felt about the way you're describing.

Comment

Forget what the above posts said. Its not your problem to figure out what the shop ****ed up. Take it back and let them deal with it. Thats what their guarantee is for right??
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

i bet the shop got the timing off a tooth or so.
          According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
            Forget what the above posts said. Its not your problem to figure out what the shop ****ed up. Take it back and let them deal with it. Thats what their guarantee is for right??
            whoa yea 100% Sorry man i didn't read 100% of your post. Take it back for sure, in fact I wouldn't even **** with it because they might try to pull some bull**** like you ****ed it up.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die" -Thomas Callaway

Comment

cam timing is off...or ignition timing. but yea take i back to the the guys
              sigpic

Comment

take it back, thats what warentees are for

Comment

I took it back, and hes all "Oh, its fine, just keep driving it more... bye"
                  So, screw that guy, gonna take a look at some things myself.
                  Someone mentioned the MAF sensor, and Im gonna look at the fuel filter myself, and check/recheck the plugs and wires, and lastly, check timing, since thats harder
                  '98 Protege (Sold at 125k miles)
                  2006 Mazda3S Grand Touring, Heated Black Leather, Moonroof, Bose 6CD, Tow package (LOL)

Comment

Better business bureau?

Comment

Someone mentioned the MAF sensor, and Im gonna look at the fuel filter myself, and check/recheck the plugs and wires, and lastly, check timing, since thats harder
                      Thats definately NOT FINE. Your car does not operate properly since the shop touched it last. MAKE THEM FIX IT. Or take it up with BBB, or local court.
                      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

**** that ****.
                        Take it back, demand that he look at it stating that his parts and labour guarantee has not expired yet (has it?) If he still refuses. Contact your local authorities. I'm not sure where you are from but for example in Ontario I would contact the Ministry Of Transportation Ontario (MTO).
                        Anyway contact the authorities and explain the situation.

Grow some ****in balls.
                        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
                        X