Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i adjust low idle speed?

1995 protege dx

my car has been suffering from a low idle for a while now and i know you can change the idle to be a little bit higher but i do not know how to do it. pics or diagrams would be very helpful...

never mind i found it. now the car doesnt shake as bad anymore

Comment

Yeah, but isn't the car now too high in idle. Please state what you did to correct the shakes and how.

Comment

actually i know what he meant manny the car was prolly like mine idling at 800 rpm and he adjusted the idle adjustment screw and idled it back up.

Mine shook really bad to the point of stalling when i put my foot on the clutch but now its fine.
        MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Jake, I'm hoping he's not talking about the idling problem that almost leads to stalling like yours. I mean the idling problem that makes the car tremble really badly but very evenly and w/o any stalling issues. It's a problem that exists in many (though not all) 1st gens and many other small 4 cylinder cars of the mid 90's, including Honda. Both my 94's had it and NEVER stalled or had any other problems, for that matter. For further reading on this, please read the following link on a site once called ProtegeClub.com Please don't make any further comments to that thread and instead, do so here.

1st Gen Protege/323/GLC - Bad Vibes - Hey everyone...as it says in my sig, I have a 1991 DX w/auto. It has the 1.8 liter SOHC motor. (yea its lame oh well) About a year or 2 after my mom bought the car new, it developed a major vibration problem. She always just ignored it, but it seems to have gotten worse over the...

Comment

The idle air control is the screw on the tb you can adjust the idle rpms. Its that simple for the most part turn the screw and the idle goes up problem solved. But even the trembling problem is what i had and every once and a while i could put my foot on the clutch at a stop light or sign and the car would start shaking really bad and the dash rattled then maybe 1 out of every 10 times the car would go dead.

Ive not had any problems since ive done mine and now the car doesnt stall or vibrate like hell..
            MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Originally posted by 95Protege View Post
              The idle air control is the screw on the tb you can adjust the idle rpms. Its that simple for the most part turn the screw and the idle goes up problem solved.
              I'm more than fimiliar with that idle screw. However, you're supposed to ground terminal 10 under the hood when you do that. You were lucky. That can get all out of wack. Also, it's not the same problem then because for my trembling to stop, I had to raise the idle so high that it was ridiculous. Whenever I went to a lower setting, but still too high revving, the trembling was back. You shoudn't have to raise it so high in order to stop the trembling. By the way, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy more evident with automatic trannys because the car is left in gear when stopped. The trembling is not apparent while driving. It's only a problem while stopped.

Comment

mines a 5spd and it was so bad i could sit a drink on the dash in a cup and the cup would shake til it was in the floor. i dunno then but if he said the idle is fixed i guess he did it right...
                MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Originally posted by 95Protege View Post
                  if he said the idle is fixed i guess he did it right...
                  Yeah but I wish he would read his email so he would respond as to what he did.

Comment

sorry i havent checked this in a while. but if you guys are still checking it then i will tell you what it did. i dont have a tachometer but i could hear and feel the car idleing low (felt like about 500 rpms or so). this only happend when the car was totally warmed up also. so i all i did to fix it was just turn that screw like thing on my tb. i heard the rpms go up a little bit and i turned it some more. now i was at 1 complete 360 degree turn, and the car is not shaking as bad anymore. but one thing i do notice its if i start the car up on a really cold morning it sounds like its reving almost 2500rpms. that prolly not very good but what can you do, its got 180000 miles on it and really low compression. so im just going to drive it till it dies.

Comment

Working...
                    X