86-87 GTX Rear tail lights on a 88-89 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86-87 GTX Rear tail lights on a 88-89 ?

Would rear tail lights from a 86-87 323 GTX fit on a 88 GTX ?

I prefer the lOOk of the 86-87 rear lights with the red / orange / white combo as they remind me of the rear lights off a 88 Mazda rx-7. The standard red / white is decent but there is something about the orange I really dig.

I have been researching but can't come up with any conclusive information.

Got my eyes glued to a Kat on ebay who's selling a pair

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1274208

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
    Last edited by admalt; 04-02-2017, 01:39 PM.

Sorry for the late reply, as I understand they're interchangable, although if you have that plastic piece between the lights you might also have to swap that.

I know of someone who put facelift lights on his prefacelift Ford Meteor, so the same idea should work for the hatch. He had to replace the plastic part between the lights though.

EDIT: If you're still looking, you can remove one taillight and take some measurements, then I can do the same on my '87 SL and post the results.
    Last edited by JKuhn; 05-08-2017, 04:22 AM.
    '87 Mazda 323 SL - daily driver, backup show car (being restored as I get time)
    '82 BMW 518i (E12/8) with 32/34 Weber and Simota cone - old show car (stolen)
    '70 VW 411L Auto - show/restoration project to replace 518i - sold
    '99 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - show project

Comment

Hey thanks for the information !

Actually I just went for it and bought them from a ebay seller in Japan a couple weeks after I put up this post. Crossed my fingers and can confirm that they are compatible with my 88 GTX which I was super stoked about !

Comment

Good to hear. So they were indeed drop-in replacements?

Comment

They were shipped straight to my mechanic as he is going through a list of repairs for my some-what recently acquired Mazda GTX. He told me they " fit fine ". Once I get the car back I will confirm if it was simply a drop-in swap.

Comment

I'll wait for the verdict then.

Comment

I can confirm they were a drop in replacement with no additional work required.

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

Working...
                X