No announcement yet.

My free Miata hard top!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got the 15" Miata wheels with Yokohama ES100s on the car. The '99 Miata they came off of does not run. It was a trade in last Thursday, the guy drove it in and my boss drove it to appraise it, and he said it drove fine. I asked my dad for the wheel lock key(he's got the whole set of em) and he gave me the set. Well, it didn't have the right one, but we found it in my dad's tool box. It was damaged and wouldn't grip the wheel lock. So then I had to hammer the remover thing onto each wheel lock, take it off, then hammer the wheel lock out of the thing, going back and forth 4 times from the building to the parking lot.
    Then I went home and my brother informed me that he couldn't help me with the tires until Saturday or next week. Not wanting to see the car towed away before I could get the wheels, I loaded my Miata wheels in the Protege and headed back to the shop. As my dad was locking his tool box, I asked him if he could help me even though I knew he wouldn't be happy about it. He said he could. Dropped off the wheels, drove home, drove the Miata back, and then got the key to the '99 Miata.
    It has 175,000 miles, not 140,000, and I could only get it to start by spraying starter fluid in the intake, and it would only run for a few seconds...when I would rev it it would sometimes rev, other time bog down, and die no matter what. I think it's the AFM as my Protege had the same thing when my 1st B-code died. Anyway, not wanting to change the wheels on the slope of the parking lot, I used starter fluid and was able to drive it down one row, spray some more, down the next row, spray more, into the shop. Hehe.
    Well take the '99 wheels off and head to the balancer. Removed the weights and put the first wheel on. It's bent on the back. Great...2nd one, bent as well. 3rd one good. 4th one bent as well. Just my luck. Well they aren't bent enough to cause a problem, so it's ok. We put the hammer weighs on the back and the sticky weights on the front of the wheel to make it look better(IMO anyway). 2 center caps broken but still fit ok.

Got em on the car and drove around the block. No vibration and they grip awsome in the corners, not so awsome for acceleration but it's not a fast car so it doesn't matter. For free it's ok. Pics soon.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Probably shoulda kept the straight wheels instead.

That's alot of work for bent wheels.
      My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
      - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
        Probably shoulda kept the straight wheels instead.

That's alot of work for bent wheels.
        Well, I drove the car on the highway to school today, up to about 95mph, and I didn't notice any vibration more than how the car was with the good tires, so I'm not concerned.

While my 14" Protege wheels are no longer mine, they're property of my dealership on the not-running NB, and I put them on the car not-ballanced at all and with no center caps. They still look good, actually makes the NB look a lot different.

I've still got my Miata 14"s if something happens to the 15"s. They're mint except for some curbature which is very slight. Let me go grab a pic of the 15"s on the car.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

As you can see they're stained pretty bad. I'm going to use solvent then wax them, and they should look a lot better. I didn't even have time to clean them at the shop, so today at work I'm going to wash the whole car then do the wheels.

And the stack of 14"s, the one on the top is the one in the worst shape:
          Last edited by MazKid; 02-10-2006, 12:40 PM.

Comment

those are the same 15s my friend got for free for me.... one of mine was bent to hell though... I got a new one off of eBay for like 85 bux shipped.

Looks good.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
              Well, I drove the car on the highway to school today, up to about 95mph, and I didn't notice any vibration more than how the car was with the good tires, so I'm not concerned.
              I hear ya, just thinking ahead. If you ever sell them, most will be turned off by the fact that they're bent.

Either way, looks good. Your Miata is damn hawt. Makes me want one.
              My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
              - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Ran out of work(actually never had any, unless you call a 25 mile dealer trade trip work) so I ran the Miata through the wash. Dried, then went to work on the wheels. Glass cleaner first, so that I could see the stains.
                Then Acrosol(solvent) to remove some of it and road tar.
                Then extra cut rubbing compound.
                Then more Acrosol.
                Finally a thick coat of wax, which is still drying as I type.

They look loads better already! Most of the stains came out except on the edges of the spokes, but they came out enough where you don't notice them unless you bend down right at em.

Comment

need after pics...nice grab if they're worth the bend....how much tred is left - looks like a bunch (u might have answered this...but im drunk, and lazy )
                  Last edited by EricM; 02-10-2006, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Alright.

I had to adjust the brightness as it is, well, dark outside. The 2nd pic is the front wheel, 3rd is the rear wheel, 4th is the front tire. The fronts from the NB are on the back of my NA now, because they have less tread, slightly. They are more stained from being on the front of the NB. Tread appears to be 75% or so on the front, maybe 65% on the rear. Hard to tell on these tires.

Comment

looks awesome - even at night....good find...

Comment

You've got sick connections man, getting the Miata, then the top and then the wheels.

I here you on the rigidity with a hard top. My friend's brother has an S2000 and he got a hard top for his. I took a ride in it after the hard top; much less wind noise, and the car corners better.

1994 Mazda Protege DX - Automatic - 47K miles - AM/FM/Cass - 13" Hubcaps

Comment

3 day time pics:

Comment

Working...
                          X