September 2004 RotM - Mino3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September 2004 RotM - Mino3

All votes are in and the winner for this month is Mino3! Congratulations on your nomination and for winning the September Ride of the Month. Now, on to the car!

1990 Protege SE
    "All I know is I love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's mine and I love to play with it and show it off."

Modifications:
    -Thistle metallic paint from a 1995 Mustang.
    -Custom tweed interior with Eclipse logo stiched into each seat.
    -Custom built speaker pods with RF logo that lights up when the doors are opened and aluminum grilles cut to match my wheels.
    -16" Aluminum wheels w/ BFG Euro TA tires.
    -SOHC motor w/ manual tranny.
    -Weapon-R cone filter.
    -Polished valve cover.
    -2" custom Cat-back exhaust with polished stainless muffler and 4" tip.
    -35% tint on door windows, 20% on rear and corners.
    -color changing LED pedals
    -LED shift knob.
    -polished aluminum front strut bar.
    -purple LEDs in headlights
    -purple LEDs and neon in trunk
    -competition Rockford Fosgate and Eclipse stereo. (154.9 db)
    -Weapon-R coil overs
    -Rockford Fosgate emblem in Front Grille

About the car:
    Michael says the car was purchased for an economical driver in 1995, and was the second owner. The original color was black with tan interior. It had bald tires with the steel belt sticking out and beat up aluminum 14" rims. He and his friends began tinkering with it and before they knew it, they were sanding it down, shaving the trunk lock, choosing paint colors and spending alot of time and money on a car that was suppose to be his daily driver. After the paint, he swapped out the seats for a set of DX seats and then decided to have them recovered. A friend of his covered the rest of the interior and built the stereo system for him (for free). He only had to buy whatever materials were needed. Three years later they ended up with what you see in the pictures. Everything on the car, was done by amateurs in their backyards and parents garages, and for the most part, you cannot tell. The car has won many awards at car shows and stereo competitoins in the past few years, and Michael says he plans to win alot more in the years to come. His future plans are to improve the suspension. Michael says he is leaning towards air cylinders because the roads where he lives are bad, and he loves how it looks lowered. Michael says "There is nothing cooler than pulling into a carshow or parking lot gathering, and hearing that long "woosh" as the car settles to the ground. Plus it'd be nice to get some kind of ride quality back into the Pro". Michael said he also plans on getting the car repainted (same color) but with graphics. A new motor is in the plans, but his current one still runs, so he is taking his time on that. New, more modern wheels are also planned. He is looking at 17"s, but is undecided as of yet.

About the owner:
    Well, my name is Michael Ingram. I live in Spokane, Washington. I just turned 30. I work in a machine shop where i am a CAD drafter / waterjet programmer (we use water and a little bit of garnet sand to cut through metal). I play the drums in a local rock band called "Beggerman-Thief".
    I have had this car for almost 10 years, and have no plans to sell
    it... ever. I have a passion for cars. I just can't leave them
    alone. I think a great day is working on my car and then taking it for a drive to check out what I just did. I am not the most mechanically inclined person. but I am learning as I go. I also have a 55 ford pickup that am gethering parts for so I can streetrod it. I have a 6 year old Great Dane / Lab mix that loves to help out in the garage and join me on my drives.
    I like to see other people as motivated by cars as I am and I like to
    help out when I can.

On behalf of the RotM Crew and the entire Moderator staff, Id like to say DAMN GOOD WORK! Michael has shown the hard work and dedication, not to mention the great pride in his car, that it takes to become the "Ride of the Month".
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

well congrats, nice car
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

congradulationssssssssssss

really love your stereo setup :D
      Visit My Garage

Comment

Congrats Michael!

Your car looks great and is definately worthy of this recognition. I hope you keep working on it as creatively as you have in the past!
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

very nice keep it up..~!!!

Comment

awesome car.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Congratulations!
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the votes!! This site is a great place to learn and get alot of info and ideas. Thanks for all the help and comments/sugestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx
                  Michael says he is leaning towards air cylinders because the roads where he lives are bad
                  LOL! I don't think the rest of the people on the forum could ever comprehend how bad.

Congrats on ROTM! I love that purple paint.

If you're looking to add any LX goodies to the car there's somebody here who has an ad under "Parts Cars" in Nickel Nik for a 92 LX 5 speed for $400 OBO that was hit on the drivers side but supposedly other than the door's exterior everything is supposed to be great. It's rare to come across an LX here that actually has a manual tranny. I've wanted to do the engine swap on mine but I don't have the cash, maybe you might be able to take advantage and make your ride even sweeter.

Comment

pictures are gone - can someone find them again?
                    92 DX - Wrecked on 1/6/08
                    2000 ES w/ MSP drivetrain swap
                    If you have a daily-drivable 5sp Familia (any gen) you want to trade hit me up

Comment

Prolly not for 3 years ago.

Comment

Good morning,

I still have the car. It lives in my garage while I'm collecting parts.. I haven't been on here in a long time. It's pretty much the same except for I added air ride and am redoing the stereo because I needed room in the trunk for the compressors... It's a pretty trick setup.. I'll get out there and post pics when I get a chance..

Michael

Comment

glad to see 3 years later; your stilll holding up to ur word that you'll keep the protege
                          | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

i like dogs but nice car ishhh....

Comment

Working...
                            X