Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Valve Position Sensor Open??????

Hi all,

I got a P1402 error code on my 96 protege 1.5L.

From the manual, it is EGR Valve Position Sensor Open or Short.

I checked the connection between EGR Valve Position Sensor and the PCM. The snesor keeps giving +5V output. It looks like the EGR Valve was stuck in the Open position. And the following symptom can confirm this. The engine has a rugh idle and sometimes stalls before the red light.

However, someone says it may be the leak of the vacuum hose connect to the EGR valve. I am confused. As what I understand, the vacuum hose is used to open the valve. If it is leaking, the valve can't be opened, right? Please correct me!

I am planing to uninstall the EGR valve and clean it first. Is there any suggestion?

It is hard to reach the EGR valve. Besides the air intake hose, are there any other parts I need to remove before I can get the EGR valve?

Thanks a lot!

if you're getting a 5v output its open... and you're right.. the rough idle can confirm that its open

a more ghetto way to ensure that its open at idle is to touch it extremely lightly and quickly... if its working correctly, it shouldnt be hot

if its open, it will be extremely hot

its not supposed to be at all open during idle
    there is a good chance that it is filled with carbon and it is stuck in the open position

what you should do is remove it, take it apart, soak it in paint thinner/brake cleaner... put it back together and spray it with some penetrating oil

then put it back on the car

if you have the time, let it soak overnight
    egr valves are very expensive from the dealership, and usually when they're just gummed up, cleaning it is all it needs

in order to remove it you'll need to undo the air intake hose, and it'll help if you remove the TPS sensor... just remember to mark its position before you remove it.... so you dont reinstall it incorrectly
    there is a vaccuum hose that would help if it was disconnected if i recall correctly

it should take you only around 10-15 minutes to get it iff the first time
    and you'll be able to do it in a few minutes afterwards

Comment

I cleaned the EGR Valve yesterday. The check engine light was gone, and the engine is running smoothly now.
      Removing the air intake hose is not enough, I had to remove the throttle also to reach the EGR Valve.

Comment

glad it worked out for you

i was able to do it without moving the throttle body, it was just awkward

Comment

Working...
        X