Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS: BP DOHC Solid Lifters, Rev higher! Gain lost powa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: BP DOHC Solid Lifters, Rev higher! Gain lost powa!

I have a set of sixteen (16) solid lifters from a 99 Miata. Includes the lifters & shims.

The shims vary in size from 3.124mm to 3.204mm's. You may have to buy different sized ones to properly match to your camshaft lobe's wear.

For those undereducated ppl...Solid lifters replace the HLA's that are famous for the obnoxious "ticking" sound you hear with Mazda valvetrains. Starting in 98' Mazda scrapped all HLA's in all of their engines and installed Solid Lifters in all of thier engines.

The benefits of solid lifters include:

(1) being able to rev higher without the risk of "valve float

(2) getting rid of the ticking sound for LIFE, have a quiet valvetrain for a change!

(3) gain lost power. If your valvetrain does tick...one or more of the HLA's isn't pumping up properly and isn't opening the valve fully. solid lifters consistently open the valves to proper spec, ensuring the proper amount of air is getting into the intake valves or out of the exhaust valves
    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

you neglected to state a price

Comment

make offa
      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

does 1 need to get new cams to use these or are the stock cams good?
        91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
        Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

yes you need solid lifter cams
          TheMAN
          '01 BJFP MT
          '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
          No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
          It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
          -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
          -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
          -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
          No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

2 dollars and you pay for shipping ....

hahhahaha
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

How about 3 Dollars and I pay for shipping.

But seriously in what price range are you looking to get?
              mabye $30-50 or do you want more.
              1992 Mazda Protege LX w/Primer spots
              Plus new
              1991 Mazda Protege LX w/138,000mi

Comment

is there a way to determin if i need differnt shims or if thos are good?
                can some1 point me in the direction of where i can learn about cams? im such a noob...
                Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

Originally posted by redfox
                  is there a way to determin if i need differnt shims or if thos are good?
                  can some1 point me in the direction of where i can learn about cams? im such a noob...
                  heres a picture of a valve.... (this is the burnt valve from my Z5... but its jus for illustration purposes)

on top of the valve stem sits the valve spring, and on top of that the retainer (which is like a plate, to keep the spring from falling off) and ontop of the retainer there are keepers (little clips that hold the retainer on)

now on top of the retainer/keepers sits those buckets that harlem is selling
                  and ontop of the buckets those shims

the cam lobe comes in direct contact with those shims....

so when you're adjusting your valve lash, you stick a feeler gauge between the shim, and the cam lobe... if there is enough clearance (you'll get that info from a haynes manual or whatever) you're good

if theres too much clearance, you need a thicker shim
                  if theres too little, you need a thinner shim

over time the shims slowly wear and they create a gap, and that is the ticking noises you'll hear in solid lifter cars when they are out of adjustment (the valve lash needs to be checked every 100,000 kms)

it is actually ideal to keep the same shims that started off on that lobe (or get new ones)... because each lobe will wear each shim slightly differently, and moving them around could potentially lead to premature cam wear

now on my Z5, they have solid lifters... i dropped the box that was holding them because im way too cool...
                  and i mixed them all up
                  so i just measured each one and put them where the fit best

so i've moved around shims between lifters and so far havent had any problems related to that.... but its not "suggested" to do what i did

there is no way to find out whether or not you need different shims at this time, because you have to find cam's, then you gotta put in the cams/lifters/shims
                  THEN
                  measure everything
                  THEN you'll know if you need more
                  Attached Files

Comment

thanx for the 101 on valvetrain pigeon!

Gro about how much are you looking to get for them?