A/C Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Compressor

Can someone tell me what size belt i need to get to put back on if i were to
    take my a/c compressor off and leave it off my 1996 1.5l...
    Mike A.

Just go to any NAPA or alike store... when they look it up in their computers, it will show different belts, depending on the accessories you might have. Just tell them that you have no AC, and list whatever else you might have, and they should be able to look it up easy, should be dirt cheap too.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

You can get it at any Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. Mine cost me $8. I have a new compressor to put on, but this saves me some hassle in the interim, especially if you still like power steering - AB

Comment

Well i took the compressor off yesterday. I can tell a little difference
        but not enough to make me wanna do it again... lol.. If you have a lift,
        its not to bad. but anyway, if anyone decides to do this in the future, you will
        need a 36 inch ribbed belt to run the power steering pump.
        Mike A.

Comment

I've been considering the same mod, due to the fact my A/C has not worked since I bought the car, even after recharging the system with freon. A/C is not a major concern for me and removing the compressor and entire A/C system just seems to add more hp and add more space in the engine bay. Only concern is that it will have a negative effect on the car in general with only minimul hp gains. Worth it? Not Worth it?
          1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by the asian geoff
            I've been considering the same mod, due to the fact my A/C has not worked since I bought the car, even after recharging the system with freon. A/C is not a major concern for me and removing the compressor and entire A/C system just seems to add more hp and add more space in the engine bay. Only concern is that it will have a negative effect on the car in general with only minimul hp gains. Worth it? Not Worth it?
            If you know that your AC system is shut to death, and do not plan on reviving it, there is no point in removing the compressor off of the engine. You are not using it, so it just sits there and spins freely without adding load to your engine. So, just let it sit there. I do not think its worth the time and effort to do it.
            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

So even if removing the AC compressor, it shouldn't affect anything else. I want to remove the ENTIRE AC System, compressor, pump, and radiator. Just to get it out of there and free some space to work on other things. So it shouldn't change anything radically right?
              1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Working...
              X