To sell or not to sell my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To sell or not to sell my car

Ok so someone is selling a manual black ES for $3200 and I want it.

I think it'll be worth it but I'm not sure.

I'd have to sell my car but in order to do that I'd have to probably:
    1) Change exhaust system back to stock
    2) Remove spoiler
    3) Remove gauges
    4) Take out small little customizations

Not too bad but will cost a little bit of money.

The blue book value for a fair Mazda protege is ~$1,650.

I was already planning on doing an engine and transmission swap.

Here's what I'm thinking

$3200 to buy ES
    -$1650 to sell my DX car
    $500+ to get my car back to stock
    ------------------------------------------
    ~$2050 out of my pocket to buy car

This doesn't seem bad to me because I was planning to
    swap my Z5 for a BP
    $1000 +
    swap my auto tranny to manual tranny
    $700+
    ^^^ I think the above work will cost more than this though.

What do you guys think?
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

The guy sold the car already but I'd still want to know what you guys think.
    ED

Comment

Originally posted by loganss
      Ok so someone is selling a manual black ES for $3200 and I want it.

I think it'll be worth it but I'm not sure.

I'd have to sell my car but in order to do that I'd have to probably:
      1) Change exhaust system back to stock
      2) Remove spoiler
      3) Remove gauges
      4) Take out small little customizations

Not too bad but will cost a little bit of money.

The blue book value for a fair Mazda protege is ~$1,650.

I was already planning on doing an engine and transmission swap.

Here's what I'm thinking

$3200 to buy ES
      -$1650 to sell my DX car
      $500+ to get my car back to stock
      ------------------------------------------
      ~$2050 out of my pocket to buy car

This doesn't seem bad to me because I was planning to
      swap my Z5 for a BP
      $1000 +
      swap my auto tranny to manual tranny
      $700+
      ^^^ I think the above work will cost more than this though.

What do you guys think?
      sounds good, BUT...

instead of spending 500 dollars going back to stock on a car no longer yours, use that $500 to upgrade the 1.8L and get that into shape...unless the purchaser requires that the car be removed of its custom upgrades.

or that $500 could be applied to the purchase price of the ES protege.
      Almost there

jdm tails... check
      jdm bumper... check
      ms lip... check
      ms grill... check
      ms sideskirts... check
      ms rear skirts... check
      ms spoiler... check
      ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
      Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

definitely worth it

sell your car, get an es

cause you'd be getting a rear sway bar, 4 wheel disc brakes, some gadgets inside, a manual tranny, and a BP

Comment

but what about if there's something wrong with the ES? you have to factor that in too, unless you know the guy extremely well and the history of this car. thats why if you ask me its better to fix your current pro cuz at least you know the "history" of your current ride and if you do decide on fixing it further then you would still know what work has been done.

the ES is indeed special but its not like you cant fix your pro to meet the same specifications.
          Last edited by beetle_orange; 12-16-2004, 03:18 PM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
          Mods:
          DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

well obviously you'd have to buy an ES thats in good shape for this to make any sense... lol

but ya, he brings up a good point... i guess you gotta factor in "unexpected" dollars as well

when i first got my protege, everything seemed all pretty and perfect, and a week after the stupid F tranny died

it was underwarranty so it was ok, but still... there was NO way for me to tell the transmission was bad before i bought it

it was smooth shifting, went through all the gears perfectly, no abnormal noises...

maybe if i checked the gear oil before i bought it, there might have been an indication... who knows

Comment

my opinion is even with a mechanic in tow it would still be very hard to determine whether you are buying a lemon or not. sellers could easily replace plugs, change both the transmission and engine oil, reset the computer so the CEL wont light up, and etc... just to sell their car.

you guys would drop your jaws if you found out how much i paid for my protege. but i paid a lot of value on the history of the vehicle knowing that when i buy it i wouldnt have to worry about fixing this and that.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
              Mods:
              DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

I see what you're saying but I'm going to have to go through that problem when I switch out my engine, and transmission to match the ES'

I could possibly get a lemon engine and transmission at the end of my double swap. Either way I could be majorly screwed.

Maybe I shouldn't even do the swap and just buy another car altogether. I have fun modding my car but at times I feel this protege is going to take way too much time and money.
                ED

Comment

I think it would not be worth it but thats just me i would rather have my pro that runs and gets me where i need to without spending ALOT of money on it then spendign even more on a car that i dont really know about and could have more problems then your current car....

if you do sell your car and want to get rid of the mods you put into it then PM me ill make ya an offer for the spoiler/exhaust/ etc

Comment

Originally posted by loganss
                    I see what you're saying but I'm going to have to go through that problem when I switch out my engine, and transmission to match the ES'

I could possibly get a lemon engine and transmission at the end of my double swap. Either way I could be majorly screwed.

Maybe I shouldn't even do the swap and just buy another car altogether. I have fun modding my car but at times I feel this protege is going to take way too much time and money.

if you ever decided to get a different car, what would you get?

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                      trading in my 02 sentra gxe for mazda3 5-door. atleast that's what i'm planning for.
                      Almost there

jdm tails... check
                      jdm bumper... check
                      ms lip... check
                      ms grill... check
                      ms sideskirts... check
                      ms rear skirts... check
                      ms spoiler... check
                      ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                      Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                        Good question. Honestly I have no idea. I'd have to do a lot of research and some test driving. I probably should start sometime soon.

I need something comfortable (I'm 6'1" so some cars are just a pain to drive in)
                        pretty quick (more than 92 hp, at least above 120 hp. Just to start off)
                        sleek exterior design (no scion xB, honda elements, older saabs)
                        decent interior (if it sucks I can just mod it)
                        engine bay with some room (making it easier to work on hopefully)
                        would like it to have some aftermarket support (not like honda's though. I'd like some of the stuf I'd do to be unique.)

Originally posted by Mazda96Protege
                        if you do sell your car and want to get rid of the mods you put into it then PM me ill make ya an offer for the spoiler/exhaust/ etc
                        Yeah I'll definetly let you guys know if I do part away with my parts. HAAA the humor j/k I'm going to sleep now.
                        ED

Comment

i'd still think bout it long and hard before you sold your car... you might end up missing it

Comment

Me ----> <---- Reason,Sensible thinking

You guys are right it's probably better for me to stick with my pro right now. I'm also about to go back to school for a semester. Being a broke college student and new car doesn't mix too well. I know my car is reliable so I'm sticking with my pro for a while. And plus I have some mods that I didn't finish.

The swaps will come eventually but it's looking like an early 2006 project.
                            ED

Comment

hey loganss...when you swapped out your stock rear sidemarkers for the clear ones, did you keep the red ones? and if so, do you want to sell them? i just need the left side one but would be willing to buy bought if you're looking to get rid of them by any chance. let me know.
                              1995 Protege DX

www.moccforums.com
                              www.mazdaforum.com
                              www.msprotege.com

HONDA

http://members.cardomain.com/bogey883

Comment

Working...
                              X