This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General maintenance: Quick reference

This is not a thread for how to's, leave that for the appropriate section.
    This is intended to be used as a quick reference guide for tools used in general maintenance procedures.
    It pisses me off when I'm under my car and I grabbed the wrong wrench and have to crawl out and go to my tool box to get the right size ****.
    Pisses me off even more when I'm wrong and have to crawl out again and get another ****in size because I'm stuopid.
    I hope everybody can contribute something to this.
    Keep in mind when posting to specify which model year, engine, brake system etc you have since there will probably be a few differences between the Z5 and BP in particular and those equipped with Rear drums and those with rear discs for example. And we all know that the second gen is the bastard child of Proteges so even on cars equipped with the same engines, but of varying years there may be some differences also.

Parking brake adjustment
    Rear disc brake equipped models:
    Tools required:
    14mm socket,
    10mm deep socket
    Ratchet 3/8 drive
    Short extension
    medium size phillips screwdriver (forget the exact number)
    4mm Allan key

Drive belt adjustment/replacement
    I find it easier to remove the passenger side head light and the cruise control module if so equipped for adjusting these bastards. There is actually alot of room to move your hands when doing the alt/wp belt if you remove the CC module
    PS/AC belt - BP powered models:

Small phillips screwdriver
    medium sized slotted screwdriver
    10mm socket
    14 mm socket
    17mm socket
    3/8 drive ratchet
    short-medium length 3/8 drive extension

Alt/Waterpump belt - BP powered models:

14mm socket
    3/8 drive ratchet
    10mm socket
    small pry bar

Headlight/cornerlight/grille removal
    97-98 models

small phillips screwdriver
    medium sized slotted screwdriver
    10mm socket
    3/8 drive ratchet
    short/medium length 3/8 drive extension

Cruise Control Module removal
    14mm deep socket
    10 mm socket
    3/8 drive ratchet

Thats about all I can think of at the moment but It would be great if everybody could contribute. But please try to keep from posting the same **** that somebody else has posted if you can, and keep on topic.
    I would also be much appreciative if Jon or Bruce could moderate this thread to keep the bull**** and thread jacking to a minimum.
    Last edited by midnightblue97; 01-01-2005, 11:03 PM.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

I'm getting good at this drive belt adjustment stuff, and I found that for the alt/wp pulleys all you need are the 14mm and 12mm sockets. The 14 is for the bottom bolt and the 12 is for the adjuster and top hold bolt. Works good for me! It just seems like I can't get that belt tight enough, it always squeals within a few days. I'm on my third and I'm afraid I'll be getting another soon.

1995 ES 5 speed. Good car, but nothing except problems with my alternator drivebelt since about March of last year.

Comment

Throttle body/TPS R&R

Small phillips screwdriver, or a 7mm wrench
      10 mm socket
      3/8 drive ratchet
      short 3/8 extension
      12 mm socket
      slip joint pliers

Other ****
      Throttle body Gasket
      Part# B6BF-13-655
      Throttle Position Sensor
      Part # BP2Y-18-911A

Incase you break the bolts or lose a nut
      9994-00-801 nut
      9979-40-845 short bolt
      9979-40-865 long bolt

Throttle body bolt/nut torque specs 14-19 Ftlbs.

My TPS did NOT have elongated holes which would seem to make this piece unable to be adjusted.
      Keep in mind this would only apply to 97-98 BP models and most likely will not for 95-96 and Z5 equipped vehicles.
      Last edited by midnightblue97; 02-05-2005, 01:03 PM.
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Front Brake Pad Replacement
        I don't need to remind you that you need a jack and jackstands for this do I?

19mm Socket for removal of the wheel lugs.
        1/2'' drive breaker bar.
        14mm socket
        3/8 drive ratchet
        needle nose pliers
        small hammer or rubber mallet
        small prybar
        A large "C" clamp or the actual correct tool for compressing the piston back into the caliper

For those interested, the part numbers for new caliper slides are:
        B092-33-662
        B455-33-661

They kinda **** you around because you can't just get the sliders for one side. They are two different lengths, and one of th0se numbers is for both long ones and the other is for both short ones, though I forget which are which. so if you only need both on one side you have to buy all four, but then again if one side is siezed then the other is probably pretty close to being siezed as well......

Comment

Rear Hub Replacement, Rear disc brake equipped models.

4mm and 6 mm Allen wrenches
          10 and 14mm socket and wrench
          3/8'' drive ratchet
          1/2'' drive breaker bar
          BFH
          Small pry Bar
          Round punch or a cold chisel
          small needle nose plyers
          1/2'' drive torque wrench
          32mm socket.
          Unfortunately I don't have a Mazda part number for the hub/bearing assembly, because the dealer is closed today, and I had to go to the local Canadian Ma'****a to get the ****, but I'd much rather have that **** than a ****ed up wheel bearing.
          Figures, just when I spend a bunch of skrilla on tires, I need new ****, but at least I can drive my car harder now that I got that **** fixed.

Comment

Steering wheel R&R

10mm wrench
            14mm socket
            3/8'' drive ratchet
            1/2'' drive ratchet
            21 mm socket
            medium sized phillips screwdriver
            Steering wheel puller

You'll have to remember where all the **** goes when you transfer things like the backing plate, Cruise control buttons horn wiring etc......
            It varies depending on wether or not you've got airbags, cruise etc.......
            I don't need to tell you idiots to handle the Airbag with caution do I??

That is all.

Comment

Distributor Seal R&R
              All you need really is a 12 mm socket, a ratchet, and a #2 phillips screwdriver.
              Part number for the Seal is:

9954-10-3801

Comment

Parking brake Cable R&R Rear Disc brake models

Lets assume you've already made sure your rear calipers are adjusted properly, you can find the tools required in a post above. Also that your car is safely supported on Jack stands and rear wheels have been removed.

Phillips screw driver, #2
                10 mm wrench
                10mm deep socket
                12mm socket
                3/8'' drive ratchet
                medium length 3/8'' drive extension
                Bent end needle nose pliers

Part Numbers

Driver's Side

BC1E-44-420D

Passenger Side

BC1E-44-410C

Comment

Working...
                X