This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake caliper ebrake mod...

here it is... this is the picture i have so far until i take my rear wheel off and snap some pics of mine.

What you do is install a SS spring (person in this picture used a non SS which will rust and break in half of the time.)
    install the spring between the rear disc brake caliper ebrake lever, and the brake line tab on the strut.
    as shown in the picture... completely changes the feel of the emergency brake and has twice the return pull for the ebrake lever itself. this in turn will prevent your ebrake levers from sticking and eventually siezeing over time. the number one reason you have to replace the rear calipers.

here are 2 pics... one plain and one with inverted colors to show where to drill into the rear disc caliper lever. and where to drill into the brake line tab.
    being as these are both pretty thick metals you don't have to worry about them breaking unless you drill the hole too close. (very hard to **** this up)
    i found it easiest to do seperately with the brake line tab then the ebrake lever...
    keep in mind i did this while i had a whole rear suspension setup sitting in my basement. so under the car may be harder.

only downfall is it makes it harder to change out rear brake pads... you don't need to change them often anyhow. if the spring breaks its an easy replacement at the local hardware store.

now for the pics.

Oh and for any doubters out there... this was a picture taken off of a rally BG car... It does work and it has no negative effects on the braking.
    Attached Files
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

should be in how-tos or something.

Good job. Good pics.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

lol
      im not fully explaining how to do it..... when i get more pics i'll move it
      Last edited by FE3-323; 01-11-2005, 03:41 AM.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

DUDE. this is wicked. totally helps my problem! (ebrake cable snapped and by the time i got around to changing it the lever siezed up enough to keep it stuck on whenever it feels like)

THANKS!
        My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
        - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

don't have a 3rd gen... but i see no reason why it won't help

Comment

I wish I could do that on my 1st gen. Both calipers are seized beyond repair and need to be replaced. Cool Idea though!

Comment

i think some people maybe confused here.... THIS PREVENTS SEIZING..... it does not cure already ****ed calipers.....
              if you replace them or yours are still good... this is what you do.

Comment

Well for me, this is exactly what I need. The lever is not totally siezed. It can still be moved, but has a tendancy to stick on for a couple of minutes after releasing the handbrake.

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

then it will assist...
                  i would pop the piston out of the caliper and clean the **** out of the inside of the sleeve... and play with the caliper.... there is a small pin type of thing that gets lodged and or bent taht will **** up the caliper from moving...
                  i say keep everythign lubricated udderly

Comment

Of course it will assist. My problem has nothing to do with the caliper. My caliper is perfectly fine.

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

if its perfectly fine.... then why did you post this???
                      has a tendancy to stick on for a couple of minutes after releasing the handbrake.

im just giving ya ****... yeah... give it a shot tho... you'll be happy with the results.

Comment

Follow the emergency brake cable from the handbrake to the other end. That is where my problem is. The little lever where this spring mod attaches to.

I will definitely give it a shot though, if I don't get to restoring my old subrame first.

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

i will sort this once i install my slotted rotors

i should post some pics of my completely stuff rear pad due to the caliper sticking

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
                          1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Comment

superheating frozen calkipers also significantly reduces the lifetime of the wheel bearings .... found that out the hard way do this mod!!!

Comment

can we get some spec on what spring size to use so there werent be to much guessing and runnung around to find different types

Comment

Working...
                              X