Map Ecu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map Ecu

found this product in my sema catalog today.figured id share this info with everyone.checked this out at powerhouseracing.com

oh sorry if imnot supposed to post thread in this catagory.

Looks good, but at 895$ I'd rather continue to use the Megasquirt unit that can be a stand alone or piggyback and control ignition for around 200$.

Comment

that's a very expensive and very tunable AFC ... but still an AFC as you have no access to the fuel maps of the ECU.

Maz1.8T, is the megasquirt $200 including wiring harness and all? For that price, I might be interested in getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
        that's a very expensive and very tunable AFC ... but still an AFC as you have no access to the fuel maps of the ECU.

Maz1.8T, is the megasquirt $200 including wiring harness and all? For that price, I might be interested in getting one.
        It's hard to put a fixed price on the MS unit since you can buy it in pieces and weld together the components on the PCB (prited circuit board) or you can buy partial kits or complete Megasquirt units. So the price varies. I've paid mine 200$ used once from a guy on the Megaquirt forum. I had to buy wires, 2 GM sensors (water and air temp) and build the wiring harness. Seems a big project a first but man this is one of the greatest things I've ever done. So maybe 250$/300$.

But the greatest thing about Megasquirt is that you build it yourself... I had 0 knowledge in fuel management. I went to the MS web site, printed the whole documentations and read it 4 or 5 times. By that time I felt I was comfortable to start the hardware part. I ordered the unit, built the harness, installed it, built the fuel map with their simple softwares, plugged the unit and the car started after 3 try, re-adjusting required fuel between each try. I made it idle OK @ 1100 rpm and took it for a drive. 30 minutes and I was safely on the road, running mostly good AFRs. I was thrilled.

Now the unit is on a 2.3 Turbo Mustang and it will also be the foundation for my '69 Cutlass that I' converting to port EFI and I will use the same unit to control fuel in my to be turbocharged '92 Protegé. I'll just carry the unit from a car to the other by just uploading the right file for the right car. Talk about versatility.

And there's more, Megasquirt is a non-profit project and everyone on the board can help, modify the hardware/software, create new code for the chip, upload fuel maps, etc...... so it's getting better and better 10x faster than any other fuel management I've seen since everyone put their knowledge to work.

Sorry I have so much to say about it, but it's as good as I'm exited to talk about it.

Comment

That's good to hear that a standalone system can be had as cheaply as this. It is very good news.

Did you dyno-tune your setup, or did you tune it by driving around? Did you wire in a wideband O2 sensor to monitor your AFs.

I know quite a bit about how car electronics work, so building my own harness would not be a huge deal. What I am more worried about is the tuning price/time it takes to get a standalone running right

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
            That's good to hear that a standalone system can be had as cheaply as this. It is very good news.

Did you dyno-tune your setup, or did you tune it by driving around? Did you wire in a wideband O2 sensor to monitor your AFs.

I know quite a bit about how car electronics work, so building my own harness would not be a huge deal. What I am more worried about is the tuning price/time it takes to get a standalone running right
            No I did not get the car dyno tuned since it was on my now dead '91 Protege. I installed it just to see if it worked and as a personal accomplishment/personal knowledge. Turned out way better than I tought. The only tuning I did was watch the O2 meter on my laptop screen and watch for lean spots but there were none. I scaled the fuel map a little on the rich side to make sure I would'nt blow it.

On a turbocharged engine, I'd pay for a day at the dyno and tune this thing as good as possible with a wideband O2. I don't think it would be much work since the software builds a quite good base fuel map that is very useable for initial start-up and tuning. It uses quite a lot of inputs to calculate that base fuel map: engine size, injector size, # of cyl, bank to bank or batch fire injection, estimated HP and TQ @ estimated rpms, boost (if any). ...I think there are other inputs but I can't remember right now.

There's another software that I haven't been able to use yet that will log while you drive and tell you where are your lean/rich spots at various RPMs/MAP readings. The more conditions you drive the car in, the more accurate you can tune the fuel map for almost all RPM/Map reading conditions possible.

The dyno and those tools (software) and a wideband O2 would get you the best results I guess.

I installed mine and let the stock ECU control all the rest (ignition, IAC valve). What I did is splice the Megasquirt on the stock TPS and O2 sensor, added the GM air and water temp sensors, connected a vacuum line for the 21 psi capable MAP sensor. AND I let the Megaquirt ground (control) the injectors with my new fuel map. The stock ECU never seen anything since all his sensors were still there. In fact, the stock ECU was still controlling the injectors, he just didn't know the were not plugged to him at the end of the wires!

I thought it was pretty neat since I had only 2 wires to reconnect and the stock ECU was 100% fonctional again. Very practical if somethings goes wrong far from home!

Comment

Working...
            X