Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car shakes at 70 mph+

Here's the story...

Wednesday i was driving to school and when i got to 70 or so on the highway, my whole car started shaking. i looked over and the passenger seat was moving shaking very hard. so i slowed down and went like 60 the whole way.

Thursday I was planning to get new tires anyways. I got the Falken ZE 512s, 195/55/15s. very good tires, however the shaking was actually worse.

Saturday, i brought the car back to sears where they mounted the tires and they rebalanced them. I watched them as they did it, and i the balancing was wayyyy off. Guesss what? the shaking continued.

Sunday I went to sears, yet again. They took off the wheels, and told me that the driver front tire was bad and it had some humps in it. So i got a new tire, but that didn't solve the problem.

The car has about 28,000 miles on it. So my next step is to get the front end checked when i get an alignment this week. The shaking is terrible. You can feel it in the steering wheel, the seat, the rearview mirror is a blur at 80. Thats as fast as i've tried it. Also, the steering seems like it has some excess play in it at high speeds.

Anybody have any suggestions?
    2002 Sea Breeze Green Protege LX

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
    2 MTX 6000's 10"
    MTX 4250D Amp
    Alpine Type S 6.5" Fronts
    B & M Short Shifter
    Kartboy Bushings
    Full Synthetic

Front end alignment should fix that, and reduce wear on your tires.. That seems like it would be causing it.

92 Protege DX - Sold.
    91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
    95 Ford Contour GL - Crashed.
    96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
    90 Honda Accord LX - Sold.
    98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Get the tires balanced

Comment

I've already got the tires balanced twice, but i'm gonna do the alignment this week.

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
        2 MTX 6000's 10"
        MTX 4250D Amp
        B & M Short Shifter
        Kartboy Bushings
        Full Synthetic

Comment

it is the alignment as mine had exactly the same prob as urs it was also mainly due to the fact i put bigger rims on it but the alignment sorted it out. hope it goes well
          will b

Comment

Blance tires, then check alignment, check cv joints too. sometimes axles can contribute if they are not smooth
            Maroon 1995 Probe SE
            Beige 1994 Protege DX
            Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

do you have oem wheels?

if not, you may need hubcentric rings.
              linky

Comment

[QUOTE=blackened]do you have oem wheels?

yea, they are the 15" 4 lug alloys. I'm gonna get an alignment tomorrow, i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
                2 MTX 6000's 10"
                MTX 4250D Amp
                B & M Short Shifter
                Kartboy Bushings
                Full Synthetic

Comment

I scream ALIGNMENT Fixed me up!!!!!!
                  "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

I got the alignment, I guess i need a shim in the passenger rear. Its not off by that much tho. The alignment didn't help the problem though. Now i'm really stumped. i'm thinking that i might have a bad rim or two. i wanna get them dynamic balanced, the guys at Sullivan tire charge 100 bucks. Does that sound bout right?

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
                    2 MTX 6000's 10"
                    MTX 4250D Amp
                    B & M Short Shifter
                    Kartboy Bushings
                    Full Synthetic

Comment

I wouldn't trust sears on anything . . . there's a good chance it could still be the tire balance

Comment

The dynamic balance should at least let me know what the problem is, if not fix the problem. I'll keep you updated.

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
                        2 MTX 6000's 10"
                        MTX 4250D Amp
                        B & M Short Shifter
                        Kartboy Bushings
                        Full Synthetic

Comment

Let us know how its going.......

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

Nothings happened yet, i'm gonna get them balanced by that Hunter Road Force balancer on Friday. now i'm wondering if its a bent rim or two. I have the stock 15" alloys on there. apparently that Road Force balancer is supposed to diagnose exactly what the vibration is, if its coming from the wheels.

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
                            2 MTX 6000's 10"
                            MTX 4250D Amp
                            B & M Short Shifter
                            Kartboy Bushings
                            Full Synthetic

Comment

I am scheduled for am alignment next Tuesday.......not having a lot of shaking just pulling hard to the right......Good Luck man hope you get it situated.

Comment

Working...
                              X