X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnetic Oil Filtration

Modified and Updated November 2011

The Problem of Unfiltered Wear Particles
    In D323's (Donnie's) thread on Club Protege titled, "Mobil 1 synthetic overview", he made us aware of an excellent website that is relevant to the present discussion:
    http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

The section on the site that I want to focus on is labeled: Interpreting Wear Metals. The three most prevalent wear metals found in engine oil are iron, copper and lead as derived from components most prone to wear such as piston rings, camshaft lobes and various bearings. While some of these wear metals are trapped in the oil filter, others below a certain size pass through the filter and continue to circulate suspended in the lubricating oil.

A second site provided deals with the issue of particle size and filtration ability:
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

The section of interest here is labeled, SAE tests. Two SAE tests, J806 and J1858 are used to measure oil filter performance. Considering just the J1858 test, filtration ratio and efficiency as a function of contaminant particle size, can be established. Typical numbers for paper element filters are as follows: 97% of contaminant particles of 40 micron size can be trapped by the filter; 93% at 30 microns; 60% at 20 microns and only 40% at 10 microns. These figures are typical of full-flow oil filters such as are commonly used in all vehicles. Although it is feasible to build filters with media capable of filtering down to 2 microns, such filters would quickly clog, shut off the oil supply and destroy the engine. This latter type of filter is characteristic of partial-flow filters always used in conjunction with full-flow types and arranged to filter only a small amount of the total oil supply at any given time. For all practical purposes, many lubrication experts feel that any particle size below about 10 microns (.0003937" or .01mm) will tend to pass through most filters.

The Role of Magnetic Filtration
    For an in-depth and comprehensive treatment of the subject, I highly recommend an article published in the September 2005 issue of Machinery Lubrication Magazine titled, "Applications and Benefits of Magnetic Filtration." It can be accessed at:
    http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...tic-filtration
    Among the topics covered in detail are:
    How magnetic filters work (with illustrations of various types) including drain plug and spin-on filter wraps and stick-on types.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Magnetic filters

Types of Magnets (including Neodymium-Iron-Boron types-strongest of all magnets known)

Magnetic Filters
    At least in terms of iron wear particles, magnetic oil filtration provides a means of removal of these contaminants down to particle sizes of as small as 2 microns (.0000787" or .002mm). First, lets look at some examples. Eclipse Magnetics, a UK-based company makes oil filters described by the company as follows: "At the center of the filter is a high intensity magnetic core which utilizes intensifier matrix pole-pieces to magnetize the entire filter body." Eclipse goes on to say that, "the filters have been designed to remove micron and sub-micron sized metal wear contamination. 80% of all contamination found in lubricating and hydraulic oils are less than 10-15 micron, conventional full-flow membrane filters allow this size of particle to pass through causing more wear." Although no automotive oil filters are currently listed, there is no reason these filters could not be adapted for automotive use. In fact, when I first came across this site, they were said to be making filters for Jaguar but I don't know the current disposition of this project. For more information:
    http://www.eclipse-magnetics.co.uk

Another interesting filter is the one made by the UK company, Magnom. Among the many models developed for use in the industrial area, there is also a version designed for Formula 1 and World Rally Car motor sport applications. Unlike any conventional filter, it consists of a series of annular magnets with larger steel flux-plates shrouding them on each side. These plates, which become fully magnetized, have a series of oil-flow channels running through them along which wear particles are deposited and removed from circulation. Interestingly, and not yet understood, 60% of the contamination removed was non-magnetic. For further information, go to:
    http://www.magnom.com
    For more specific information about the Formula 1 product, go:
    http://www.magnom.com/index.php/info/product/f1_core

More material on the design and development of the Magnom filter can be found in an article published in the January 2005 issue of Machinery Lubrication Magazine titled, "From a Can of Beans to Grand Prix Race Wins-Introducing the Full-flow Magnetic Flux Filter." It can be found at:
    http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ic-filter-flow

For those of you who would like to experiment with magnetic oil filtration, a number of companies produce powerful magnets that can be placed on the outside of oil filter cannisters to attract and hold iron particles to the inside wall of the oil filter housing. These particles can then be eliminated when the old filter is removed and discarded. One such company is Filtermag.
    www.filtermag.com

Filtermag says that its magnets are Neodymium types capable of generating the immense force needed to forcibly remove iron particles of 20 microns or less from the oil flow. The proceedure involves placing the magnets on the outside of the filter housing where the magnetic force snaps it into place. The magnets should be installed on the underside of the cannister after it has been screwed into place. The magnetic force is so strong that the magnets cannot be pulled off the old filter but rather must be slid off when it's time for replacement.

And yes, models are made to fit our Proteges, 626s (and undoubtedly other Mazdas):
    Model SS250, filter size range 2.50" (63.5 mm) to 2.75" (69.85 mm), 75 lbf (34 kgf) magnetic pull. Current cost = US $49.16
    Model RA250, filter size range 2.50"to 2.75", 150 lbf (68 kgf) magnetic pull. Current cost = US $73.31
    I haven't tried either one yet myself so you're on your own here.

Models are also available for the Mazda3s that use spin-on oil filters:
    1st Gen 2004-2009 with the 2.0L engines only; not available for the the cartridge-equipped 2.3 L and 2.3 L Mazdaspeed3 engines.
    All 2nd Gen 2010-2012 engines.
    Model SS300, filter size range 2.90" (73.7 mm) to 3.20" (81.3 mm), 90 lbf (40.8 kgf) magnetic pull. Current cost = US $53.76
    Model RA300, filter size range 2.90" to 3.20", 300 lbf (136 kgf) magnetic pull. Current cost = US $84.82

Another company that makes magnetic filtration devices of many types is One Eye Industries Inc. located in Calgary, AB Canada. Go to:
    http://www.oneeyeindustries.com

Their Bear Trap Oil Filter Magnet Pad is designed to magnetically attach itself to the oil filter housing. The following model seems to be appropriately-sized for our filters:
    1MPBT 500, 2.375" (60.3 mm) x 2.375" x .25" (6.3 mm)

Does it Work
    ?

Obviously, the more sophisticated models do a much more thorough job of removing contaminants from the oil than simply placing a magnet on the filter body. However, even in the latter case particles are removed from the oil that would otherwise continue to circulate and cause wear. Using magnets certainly can't hurt and might have the potential for reducing engine wear over time.

Additional Uses for Magnetic Filters
    In-line magnetic filters are also available for filtering transmission and power steering oil. The ACDelco filter is contained within a reinforced nylon housing and contains a ferrite-filled polyamide magnet that attracts iron particle contaminants as well as a paper element that removes non-ferrous particles.
    http://www.acdelco.com/parts/filters...ission-filters

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 11-16-2011, 08:01 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

...Or aluminum... pistons are aluminum, at least our blocks aren't.

Comment

good write up.....

I hadnt realized that there were add-ons to make everyday filters magnetic. I knew about the magnetic drain plugs that are offered and how they help. I also knew about the "screen" for the oil filter that helps strain out metal parts, but that cant get the tiny ones. Very interesting.

The SS-250 is 29.95 plus S&H via UPS. Once I get the GTX, I will probably get one. IMO, cant hurt to have it on there, since it has no adverse effects known.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Sounds good wonder how much that tranny filter would cost.

NIce write up you've got me interested now. I think Ill get an inline for the tranny and one of the other ones for the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
          .... I knew about the magnetic drain plugs that are offered and how they help...
          Nice write-up, goldstar!

D323, how much do those magnetic drain plugs help? Are they actually worth using? And how would you clean it? If it has 10-micron sized particles stuck to it. You can't even see those. How would you get them off the magnet? Do you buy a new drain plug every time you change the oil?

Comment

wipe the **** off anything you don't get off will only stay on the magnet
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

its cool to look at tho....
              i'll go spend $30 right now to see somethign pretty.
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                Nice write-up, goldstar!

D323, how much do those magnetic drain plugs help? Are they actually worth using? And how would you clean it? If it has 10-micron sized particles stuck to it. You can't even see those. How would you get them off the magnet? Do you buy a new drain plug every time you change the oil?

I have seen them on Ebay for like 20 bux shipped. And as bpt323 said, if its soo small you cant see it just wipe the plau, and whatever stays on there will stay on there.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Magnetic Drain Plugs

Although not properly a filtration device, this seemed to be a good place to mention another part that removes iron wear particles through magnetic attraction. While perhaps not as effective as a magnetic oil filter considering the surface areas involved, a magnetic drain plug also seems to be a good idea based on the theory that every little bit helps.

I use the KICS Project Magnetic Drain Plug. This Japanese-made product is color-coded blue for its M14 x 1.5 thread which fits all Proteges. The hex head accepts a 17 mm socket, or box, in contrast to OEM's 19 mm. From the metal particles clinging to it at oil change time, I assume it's doing some good.

For photos and more information, go to Evasive Motorsports where it's selling for US $20 + shipping:

Happy Motoring!
                  Last edited by goldstar; 11-14-2011, 09:33 AM.
                  Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                  Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Summary

Someone said to me there's too much to read here and it gives him a headache. I can understand that since reading my own stuff often gives me a headache, too. Therefore, for all of us men of action who would rather engage in physical pursuits such as driving, wrenching, wenching, racing, drinking or just generally kicking ass rather than reading, here's a brief summary of some of the benefits, and disadvantages, of magnetic oil filtration. This is taken from the Machinery Lubrication article, "Application and Benefits of Magnetic Filtration" cited above in post #1 (now you don't have to read that either).

Benefits
                    1. Cost-Since magnetic filters are reusable, the cost of removing iron wear particles is low compared with the usual disposable filters.

2. Limited Flow Restriction-Unlike conventional filters, mag filters, including drain plugs and rods exhibit little or no increase in flow restriction or pressure drop as they load with particles. While conventional filters can go into bypass when they become plugged with particles, mag filters continue to work and allow oil flow.

3. Extends the life of the conventional full-flow oil filter by removing iron wear particles that might otherwise plug it. Useful for the extended drain periods made possible by the use of synthetic oil.

4. Reduces the Rate of Oil Oxidation-Iron and steel particles are known to promote oil oxidation by their catalytic properties. Premature oil oxidation can lead to varnish, sludge and corrosion. Removal of these particles from the lube oil helps to retard this process.

5. Prolongs the Life of all Bearings and Other Moving Parts-Not for nothing are iron and steel particles referred to as 'wear' particles.

Disadvantages
                    1. Detached Particle Accumulations-A common risk associated with using magnetic separators is the potential for particles to become detached from the magnet and washed downstream in mass possibly clogging a line or damaging a component. This is most likely under surge flow conditions, cold starts, high oil viscosity and/or high oil flow rates.

2. Nonmagnetic Particles Cannot be Filtered-Mag separators cannot remove nonferrous wear particles composed of silica, tin, aluminum, copper or bronze from the lube oil.

3. Cleaning Requirement-Although not applicable to stick on magnets such as the ones made by Filtermag, mag drain plugs and separate mag filters being reusable, require cleaning. In the case of the more sophisticated types such as used in Formula 1 engines, an air hose is required.

I hope this was succinct enough.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

I have thought about doing this to my car. Well documented write-up!

I hope I am not bumping old threads, a few months is not that dramatic!

Comment

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you found it useful. This thread is a sticky so it's okay to bump it at any time; or any thread for that matter if one has something new to add.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

MagnaFilter

Description
                          An inline full-flow filter in which the engine oil makes direct contact with magnets placed inside the structure after which the engine oil continues on into the regular full-flow filter. The assembly consists of the MagnaFilter and an included insert. The insert is screwed into the Magnafilter which is then screwed into the engine block in place of the standard filter. The regular oil filter is then screwed onto the inset tightly against the Magnafilter forming a single unit.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Products-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	1229778
                          Magnafilter is an Australian company and more information can be found at its website:

Magnafilter is distributed in the USA by Boss Products and according to them is available at many auto parts stores. Go to:

MagnaFilter is also available online at:

According to the manufacturer, MagnaFilter's advantage over external mount magnets is that the direct contact between engine oil and magnets exerts a stronger magnetic force on the iron particles in circulation resulting in more and smaller particles being removed than is possible with external magnets that are separated from the oil by the standard oil filter casing.

Application
                          The maker claims that the MagnaFilter can be used for 50,000 miles (80,000 km) equivalent to ten 5,000 mile oil + filter changes for the standard filter, or two trips around the Earth at the equator before it needs replacement.

An inspection of the website data indicates two models of MagnaFilter available for our Mazdas:
                          All Proteges, part# 3002015
                          Mazda3, part# 3003416

Since the combination of the two filters results in a longer unit length, checking for sufficient clearance is necessary to determine if the installation is feasible.

Discussion
                          Of course I can't validate any of the manufacturer's claims but it certainly makes sense that the direct contact between engine oil and magnets would remove more and smaller iron particles than would occur with externally mounted magnets. How much difference this would make in terms of longevity in the normal course of engine operation is unknown, at least to me. However, after an oil change knowing that I just put fresh oil in my engine that will now flow against previously removed iron particles would be uncomfortable for me even though it is claimed that previously captured particles can't break loose and recirculate. The choice is yours.

Magnefine Inline Filters
                          Magnetic A/T and power steering system filters are also available from the above sources which you can check out if interested.

Happy Motoring!
                          Last edited by goldstar; 11-21-2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I think I'll pass. Much of the metal contamination in motor oil is non-ferrous anyhow and won't care about magnets. I'm with you on the whole "leave the particles in there, I think not" thing too. I'd rather wrap a strong magnet round my oil filter and see does that do anything.
                            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

For those who have invested in the external magnets, have you tried cutting open your old filters to see what was trapped?

Comment

Working...
                              X