replacing the fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing the fuel tank

hi everyone, another problem with my ****box. gas leaking from the rear, either top of the fuel tank or one of the fuel lines is rusted through. I was wondering if it is easier to remove the fuel tank with the filler pipe, the one that is used to put gas in, attached to or is it easier to unclip it at the base of the tank (i know that there is 3 of them). The problem is that i can't access the clips with both hands to unclip the pipes. Any advice?

anyone?

Comment

we had to replace that pipe in my friends ranger. It was a major pita. What we did (this made it easiet) was drop the tank with the bad pipe attached. Then put the new pipe on the tank and hoist it back into place.....

oh and keep in mind gas weighs roughly 8lbs per gallon about like water so, the less the better.

wether or not this works for the pro/323 I dunno. This is waht we did for my friends ranger and it worked out well.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I changed the filler pipe and tank a couple of months ago. I drained the tank first and then changed it. Took about 5 hours (bleeding the tank, having a dinner in a middle and so) but I got it done. I'd say it wasn't too hard but gasoline doesn't taste good I got it in my mouth couple of times while bleeding the gas out of the tank. I took tank and filler pipe off separately, used needle nose pliers to deattach those 3 clips, so it was possible to do it with one hand. Many long and thin hands would have been a great help as always while repairin a car.

And here are old and new filler pipes:
        Last edited by bougha; 02-12-2005, 07:58 AM.

Comment

nice, where did you get the filler neck from?

Comment

Originally posted by D323
            nice, where did you get the filler neck from?
            As you can see my location,it's from far far away Actually I got it from my local spare parts dealer, ~100USD. And I forgot to mention, that rusted old pipe was in ok condition, no leaks at all. It just looks like crap.
            Last edited by bougha; 02-12-2005, 01:13 PM.

Comment

nice job, the pipe looks good... i changed my tank 2 days ago... simply cut the original rubber filling hoses and put on new ones with the tank... draining was easy, just unbolt the drain plug. Anyways, the tank i just put in has a tiny hole on the side so when i put too much gas, it leaks while driving... fixing that this week... thx

Comment

Originally posted by 323driver
                nice job, the pipe looks good... i changed my tank 2 days ago... simply cut the original rubber filling hoses and put on new ones with the tank... draining was easy, just unbolt the drain plug. Anyways, the tank i just put in has a tiny hole on the side so when i put too much gas, it leaks while driving... fixing that this week... thx

wouldnt that also leak during hard cornering?

what you using to plug it up?

Comment

wouldnt that also leak during hard cornering?

what you using to plug it up?
                  Actually soap is good to fix gas tank. Just clean leaking part properly and rub a piece of soap into that. Sounds weird and works fine.

Comment

i was thinking to get some gas tank repair paste, dont know, something like that. That thing is apparently good for tiny holes and mine is tiny, there is even no gas smell around the car unlike before when i had a 1 square mm hole.

Comment

never heard of using soap.... I would have thought that water on the road and the gas would have washed it away over time.

I think I have heard of the paste before....

Comment

never heard of using soap.... I would have thought that water on the road and the gas would have washed it away over time.

I think I have heard of the paste before....
                        That paste could be chemical metal, I've used it to repair gas filler pipe. Soap reacts with gas and it gives surface like glass fiber. Water and salt (we have lots of salt on the roads here at winter time) don't break that surface. Try it, you won't loose anything but you might get surpriced.

Comment

hmm soap.. any particular brand of soap i should look into? =)

Comment

Originally posted by hienishere
                            hmm soap.. any particular brand of soap i should look into? =)
                            Just not liquid soap

I found this with google

FIXING WITH SOAP

Comment

very nice link.... didnt know any of that...

Comment

Working...
                              X