Clock Fell Back into Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clock Fell Back into Dash

I just got my car all fixed. There was a problem with it bucking when I went to accelerate which obdI test resolved as a bad thermal sensor, and I had it inspected for 2005. When I got it back I went to set the clock but it fell back into the dash. I was kinda pissed, but didn't care too much until I went somewhere and came back to find out that the radio wouldn't turn off with the car. I've attempted to rip apart the dash with a little bit of success, but I'm stuck where the panel above the glovebox meets the clock panel that runs all the way back behind the steering wheel.

Here are some pictures:

Larger

It's stuck between the clock and the panel on the right

Larger

I can't get past this air vent but the panel infront is screwed in from behind ... hard to reach

Larger

Hopefully I'll be able to put it all back together.

check out

and send someone PM
    '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by lscrx
      Thanks for the tip. I PM'd naprotejay so hopefully he'll be able to help. I searched the forums before I posted, but wasn't able to find any successful dash removal posts like his. What I did find that was usefull (while discovering this site) was the guide to disable the annoying seat belt warning noise. I can finish that one as soon as I get the blue spades.

Comment

yeah, i fixed my seatbelts a while back... works good.
        '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
        '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
        '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
        '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
        '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
        '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Here you go:

-------------------------
          '91 LX
          '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
          well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
            Thank you! I've been looking all over for this information. I'm relatively novice at car repair so this is going to help a lot. Infact, I'd have to say this is the most in-depth howto on removing any dash that I came across. I'll work on this tomorrow and post back to let you know how it goes.

Thanks Again man!

Comment

Hope everything goes well. If you have any specific questions, make sure you ask. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum that'll be more than happy to help you out!
              '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

arosborough - just acknowledging your pm, and assuming Darryl's excellent how-to has got you covered
                Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

Originally posted by naprotejay
                  arosborough - just acknowledging your pm, and assuming Darryl's excellent how-to has got you covered
                  Yes, I managed to get the clock back out of my dash. Unfourtunately the littlel buttons fell out and I have to go searching for them. A few stayed on the ac fan controlls but I still need to figure out how to get to the bottom where they probably fell.

I'm trying to take out the radio hub piece, but the radio is stuck on its harness or something and won't come out. Any sugguestions or better ideas?

Comment

Ok I ended up tearing off the very bottom two side panels to get to the floor, and most of the little button parts (6 total) fell out onto the floormats. It's too bad that when I reassembled the clock and plugged it back in it didn't turn on. The short that caused the radio to work when the car was off probably fried it so I left it unplugged in the dash.

Does anyone know a really good parts website for my 92 protege lx? I might as well get a new dome light cover and side door light covers while I'm at it.

Oh, I have 8 screws left over and everything is back together ... shouldn't hurt I guess. Everything seems secure.

I think I might have also messed up the cig lighter lightbulb. It popped out when I was trying to take of the paneling around it. I managed to get it back in but it's not dark enough to tell if it's coming on or not.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Your local junkyard will be the best and possibly the cheapest place to find parts for your LX. If not, just post WTB thread on this forum and most likely someone will be able to help you find whatever you're looking for.
                      '91 LX

Comment

maybe this would help... http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...rGuideYMMEYear
                        www.cardomain.com/id/janus05

Comment

duct tape the hole and look the other way

Comment

Working...
                          X