P1195- EGR boost Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P1195- EGR boost Sensor

The dreaded CEL came on my 98 Protege and I took it to a local auto shop. The person diagnosed it as the P1195 code. He said something about the EGR boost sensor so I have a few questions..

1) What is the EGR boost sensor..is the same as an oxygen sensor??

2) He said it'll cost around $500 to replace it, do you think he is scamming?

Anybody ever had a similar problem??

Also an ideas on how to reset the CEL??

Thanks a ton!!

I did a search for Egr boost Sensor and found 5 threads discussing it.

Welcome!!
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
      Mods:
      DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

EGR port cleaning ?

I have read as many posts as I can find on this code. 98 Pro 1.5, auto, 193k, no driveability issues. I've cleaned the TB w/out removing it, checked all vacuum hoses, replaced PCV, wires, plugs, AF, fixed an intake tube leak, Techron fuel cleaner treatment. I tried to insert a small drill bit into the intake plenum vacuum hose fitting that leads from the plenum to the boost sensor from the outside as recommended to clean any carbon block but it seemed to hit something solid about 3/4" or so in. Should the drill bit be able to go further than that? Is that the carbon that needs to be cleared? If I push the bit further in will it be hitting something it shouldn't? Will it hurt to spray TB cleaner into that fitting? I plan on eventually removing the TB and EGR valve for cleaning but wanted advice on just clearing that hose fitting first to see if it would restore proper vacuum to the boost sensor and clear the code for good. Haynes manual on order but wanted some advice from this forum. If all of this doesn't work, I'll get the sensor itself tested but dealer price on a new boost sensor is $400+! This forum has been a big help. Thanks in advance.

Comment

500 is insanity for just a boost sensor! Its no bigger than a quarter and literally takes 2 seconds to install. Go to a junkyard find your model protege and pocket that ****!
          sigpic

Comment

i just paid $30 for a boost sensor on ebay!!!

Comment

You just bumped a 6 yrold thread
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Is there anyway to test this sensor? I just had my intake off and cleaned out all the EGR passages and the EGR valve and put new seals on the injectors and now I am getting the P1195 code. Never even touched it although there is a vacuum line to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbikedad View Post
                  Is there anyway to test this sensor?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	egr boost sensor test.png
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1238880

The SST is basically 12volts switched. You can do it with a 9v battery.

I take paypal for consultations on decade old threads.

mtthwhllnd at the gmail
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                  kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                  Originally posted by HopelessCow
                  there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                  Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Working...
                  X