Crank Shaft And Cam Shaft Pullies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Shaft And Cam Shaft Pullies

I was looking through the archives and i realised that someone asked if the pullies for the 1.5 and the 1.8 are the same, and they were told no.
    but opposing that i have in my possestion the crank pully for the 1.5 and the 1.6 and the 1.8 and they are all the same the dimensions are exactly the same and also the mark for TDC is exactly the same place.
    what i have also noticed is that the cam shaft pullies are the same as well. the difference comes in installing them. there is a dowel that is on the camshaft face that slots into the cam shaft pully, they are three slots labeled Z,I and E, where the z is for installation on the 1.5 Z5-DE cam and the I an E detemine the intake or exhaust cam on the 1.6 and 1.8
    Assumption is the mother of all fcukups

1.5 Z5 engine has only cam gear (intake) that is powered by the crank shaft. Inside the engine, however, the intake cam is chained to the exhaust cam. 1.6 and 1.8 motor use two cam gears. From what you are saying, you might be able to use the pullies from 1.6/1.8, but only on the crank and intake cam.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by TwinCam16
      I was looking through the archives and i realised that someone asked if the pullies for the 1.5 and the 1.8 are the same, and they were told no.
      but opposing that i have in my possestion the crank pully for the 1.5 and the 1.6 and the 1.8 and they are all the same the dimensions are exactly the same and also the mark for TDC is exactly the same place.
      what i have also noticed is that the cam shaft pullies are the same as well. the difference comes in installing them. there is a dowel that is on the camshaft face that slots into the cam shaft pully, they are three slots labeled Z,I and E, where the z is for installation on the 1.5 Z5-DE cam and the I an E detemine the intake or exhaust cam on the 1.6 and 1.8

I am assuming that your speaking from having a 1.5L, and needing a cam gear, as opposed to having a a 1.8L, and needing cam gears.

If that's the case, then if you needed replacement cams you could look towards the 1.8 first gen protege BP .. Those will fit up perfectly, with no confusion in markings.
      As for the Z5 cam gears, then check your local junkyard, there should be a set of used Z5's cam gears that can be pulled out of a used protege for cheap.

The crank pully should be the same, I didn't see a difference in either of mine, from the z5 to the BP.
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
        I am assuming that your speaking from having a 1.5L, and needing a cam gear, as opposed to having a a 1.8L, and needing cam gears.

If that's the case, then if you needed replacement cams you could look towards the 1.8 first gen protege BP .. Those will fit up perfectly, with no confusion in markings.
        As for the Z5 cam gears, then check your local junkyard, there should be a set of used Z5's cam gears that can be pulled out of a used protege for cheap.

The crank pully should be the same, I didn't see a difference in either of mine, from the z5 to the BP.

That is exactly what i said. just that i am lettin u know that the BP cam gears can work for the Z5 also, just that u use one instead of 2
        Assumption is the mother of all fcukups

Comment

Originally posted by TwinCam16
          That is exactly what i said. just that i am lettin u know that the BP cam gears can work for the Z5 also, just that u use one instead of 2
          ohh ok ..
          no problem.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
          X