Crank pully fell off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank pully fell off?

I have a 1992 Protege and the only work i have had done in 6 months was the compressor for the A/C replaced last week. Is the crank pully coming off a coincidence? Or did the mechanic have to remove it to replace the compressor? Also what are the chances of my only having to spend a few $ on a pully bolt and some locktite?

They say it's fixed now, $375 for the main bolt, 4 of the surrounding bolts and a new pully. He said the key broke but they replaced it. It's running fine now but should i worry about it braking again?

Comment

nah, not if they replaced the whole thing , should stay tight
      Joe H
      2000 Chevy Impala
      3400 3.4 Liter V6
      Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
      U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
      Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

Be wary.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

be VERY wary.... remember that the water pump and the alternator, as WELL as your P/S pump are run off of that pulley... A/C isn't exactly a safety concern if it dies, but if the pulley falls off, then everything else will suddenly be VERY MUCH a safety concern. Be VERY... VERY wary.

Besides, how the hell did the crank pulley fall off if they were just replacing the belt? that's a Bad Sign (TM)
          Ask me about engine management!

Comment

Originally posted by matt_fulghum
            be VERY wary.... remember that the water pump and the alternator, as WELL as your P/S pump are run off of that pulley... A/C isn't exactly a safety concern if it dies, but if the pulley falls off, then everything else will suddenly be VERY MUCH a safety concern. Be VERY... VERY wary.

Besides, how the hell did the crank pulley fall off if they were just replacing the belt? that's a Bad Sign (TM)
            When i originally bought it a year ago the owner replaced the water pump/timing belt. After that the only thing was recently the compressor being replaced and the belts.

I was just driving along on the highway when the battery light came on, Car was running fine with no weird noise. Pull into a truck stop as quickly as possible with no p/s and find my car starting to overheat and the crank pully sitting there and the belts keeping it suspended in the air.

Comment

No I wouldn't be worried. **** that sucks. I can't believe the dinged you so much. Did they replace the harmonic balancer or the pulley or something? But Im sure if you ever want into the timing cover it'll be a bitch to get that pulley off. I know when a car comes into my shop with something like that, we make SURE to tighten the hell out of it so it doesn't happen agian.
              Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by 92_2_fast
                No I wouldn't be worried. **** that sucks. I can't believe the dinged you so much. Did they replace the harmonic balancer or the pulley or something? But Im sure if you ever want into the timing cover it'll be a bitch to get that pulley off. I know when a car comes into my shop with something like that, we make SURE to tighten the hell out of it so it doesn't happen agian.
                I think it was a little excessive... This is not the first time they have worked on a car of mine and i had to bring it back for something else from that same area.

Comment

Originally posted by nekoashide
                  I think it was a little excessive... This is not the first time they have worked on a car of mine and i had to bring it back for something else from that same area.
                  Am I alone on this or does something smell fishy here?
                  Last edited by mannydingo; 03-14-2005, 12:47 PM.

Comment

sue them....or threaten to. they are liable for the costs of repairing that ****.
                    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

1986 Toyota Crank Pulley...

I used to have an old Corolla, the crank pulley cracked on mine. Dont know how the hell it happened, but it did.

Solution, changed mechanic and looked for another one with good references. Fixed it and no problems anymore.

People say that one has to have a good lawyer, sychiatrist and accountant; B_S! that, one needs a good trusted mechanic man cause without a car one is almost useless for even the most simplest things on a daily basis.

Peace

Comment

how could you not be worried when you lose your alternator, water pump, and power steering? That's a Very Bad Thin (TM). At least your oil pump isn't run off of it.

How the hell does it keep falling off anyway? Did they forget to reinstall the four bolts or something?
                        Ask me about engine management!

Comment

I put about 1200mi on it since i had it fixed and so far it's running fine, They had to recharge the A/C and replace a fitting because it leaked after they shot dye in and told me it wasnt leaking but i got that done free of charge.

I really wanna keep the protege a few more years. The wheel bearings and rear disc are getting replaced soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X