X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told when I got my cam gears that they were the last ones in stock, and they only had blue. I paid $600CDN for mine, although they are second to none in quality. You feel the stock gears and think, "wow, these are light." But then the Ultra TRs are much lighter. I'm not sure or not, but they may still make the Ultra TS gears. Not as good, but cheaper......

Comment

HMM is there really any benifit to lighter cam gears?
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Of course. Anything you can do to lessen drivetrain mass frees up hp and increases throttle response. Although 50 grams is minimal, when your entire engine/drivetrain has been lightened, it all adds up.....I'm going to have lighter pistons, rods, crankshaft, flywheel, cam gears and crank pully.

Comment

I have OBX adjustable cam gears, Its not rocket science. The OBX do help a lot, just change the bolts with black anodized type.

Comment

Originally posted by ROB-80E
            If I may just hi-jack for a sec please guys.....

How much power and or torque do you guys expect to gain when they are fitted, adjusted and tuned?
            it all depends on your mods. i know one guy with a built 1.8L and turbo gained almost 30 hp just off timing. now this did include the fact he had standalone and his hp was 545 when tuned.

NEUMAN

Comment

That is an amazing list. I do know that AEM discontinued their cam gears, and Mazdaspeed made some fora a time, but not only where theirs a 2 piece, but it is also impossible to find and at $600+ they can stay lost.

I have heard good things about the UR pieces, but this list should help to compare and make a final decision.

Now who wants to make the same list for pulleys?

Comment

The UR cam gears are great. 5 bolts, and very light. BTW, all cam gears are at least two pieces. That's how they're adjutable.....

Comment

I was talking with a rep from horsepowerfreaks.com, and I think he told me that the OBX ones are one piece?? Maybe I misunderstood him, thanks for the correction.

Comment

All adjustable cam gears must be at least two pieces, or else they wouldn't be adjustable. The outer gear ring stays stationary while you rotate the cam portion to change cam timing. My UR Ultra TRs, for example, you can see the black ring gear around the pully part is rotatable. There are no aftermarket non-adjustable cam gears to my knowledge.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I knew that part, but I dont think that is what he meant, regardless, I will stand officially schooled and I in fact thank you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedmx3
                        I knew that part, but I dont think that is what he meant, regardless, I will stand officially schooled and I in fact thank you for it.
                        I can respect anyone that can stand up when they're wrong like that. You dont see it too often.

Oh and question about cam gears....

OBX ones vs. Fidanza ones.... They are like ~20 bux difference in price....

Would the Fidanza ones be worth the 20 bux more?
                        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                          I can respect anyone that can stand up when they're wrong like that. You dont see it too often.

Oh and question about cam gears....

OBX ones vs. Fidanza ones.... They are like ~20 bux difference in price....

Would the Fidanza ones be worth the 20 bux more?

The problem is that, whenever someone is wrong, people jump on them, calling them an idiot. At least I took the time to explain it, instead of calling him names.

I'd have to see the cam gears in my hands to judge their value. I'd say go with whichever ones are lighter and/or have more fasteners.

Comment

i have the fidanza gears... in my opinion the extra $20 more is well spent.i dont' trust OBX products very much either. Fidanza is great quality, seeing as flyin' miata' uses fidanza gears id say they are good .
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I will probably end up coughing up the extra 20 bux then. I think that the Fidanza ones are lighter by a little.
                              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

just asking with the cam gears is it just 14deg's is this standard or is it a tuneing thing
                                i guess what im asking can i get a set and put them on and go or is it going to take some tweeking?
                                02 msp clone gone but will never be forgotten

Comment

Working...
                                X