This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mazdaspeedemon
    just asking with the cam gears is it just 14deg's is this standard or is it a tuneing thing
    i guess what im asking can i get a set and put them on and go or is it going to take some tweeking?
    cam gears are pretty much useless with some good tuning to go with them.

It would be like buying haltech e6x, then not tuning it... yeah it would probably run off of base maps, but to get the most, you need to tune.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

just asking with the cam gears is it just 14deg's is this standard or is it a tuneing thing
      i guess what im asking can i get a set and put them on and go or is it going to take some tweeking?
      Whoa whoa whoa! Where did you get 14° from? Standard cam setting is the stock cam setting. ie 0°. Cam gears are absolutely useless without a dyno...

Comment

well i've been reading some of the post that people have cam gears and they say advance timing 14degs so thats where i got that from
        02 msp clone gone but will never be forgotten

Comment

well i've been reading some of the post that people have cam gears and they say advance timing 14degs so thats where i got that from
          They're talking about ignition timing, not cam timing. If you advance your ignition timing from the stock 10° to 14°, you can gain 3-4hp. If you fill up on premium and advance it to 18°, you can gain 7hp at the wheels.

The distributor on the Protege is driven by the camshaft. If you were to ever adjust exhaust cam timing, you'd also have to readjust ignition timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
            They're talking about ignition timing, not cam timing. If you advance your ignition timing from the stock 10° to 14°, you can gain 3-4hp. If you fill up on premium and advance it to 18°, you can gain 7hp at the wheels.

The distributor on the Protege is driven by the camshaft. If you were to ever adjust exhaust cam timing, you'd also have to readjust ignition timing.
            oh ok i miss under stood what i was reading ok i get it thanks i might change that to day
            02 msp clone gone but will never be forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
              Whoa whoa whoa! Where did you get 14° from? Standard cam setting is the stock cam setting. ie 0°. Cam gears are absolutely useless without a dyno...
              They are m4d l1te y0... you do pick up like a 1/4 of a hp from them w/o tuning...... their not completely useless w/o dyno.

Comment

you adjust it the old school way, make little adjustment then drive it alittle, then some more adjustments, and ect.

im running the Jun Cam gears. from what i understand is there not currently in production, but they did a bunch of proto types. i dont know how true that is but, thats what i was told by the person i got them from. they are kinda heavy too. looks like they just cut the center out of the stock gears and machined a adjustable hub for the center. they are nice though and get the job done. what is also wierd is they dont say Jun on them at all. strange. i actuall run my gears 1.5 deg advanced, but its so i can get the proper alignment on the miata cam gears. any more than 1.5 deg and it starts to ping.
                Josh
                95' AWD MX-3 RST - Still a work in progress
                05' MS RX-8 - Needing some love in the form of a new motor, soon to be FE3 powered
                Work Log - http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53776
                Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
                Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-...37983472959216

Comment

There's absolutely no point in adjusting cam gears without a dyno. There is nobody on the planet who can feel the difference of 2whp. Nobody....yet 2whp makes a difference in the 1/4 mile.

Comment

I have a set of gears to add... Maruha Adjustable Gears

I e-mailed the guy from that store, and he said they have a 40 degree adjustment... prolly 20 either way.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                    Member of MX-3.com
                    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shades
                      I have a set of gears to add... Maruha Adjustable Gears

I e-mailed the guy from that store, and he said they have a 40 degree adjustment... prolly 20 either way.
                      nice find.

Comment

indeed a nice find!
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks!

Anyone heard of Maruha Performance before?... they do a whole bunch of BP stuffs.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                          Member of MX-3.com
                          1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                          1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shades
                            Thanks!

Anyone heard of Maruha Performance before?... they do a whole bunch of BP stuffs.
                            Yes I have heard of them. Their products are top notch. There are several sources for their products in the US. They pretty much just do roadster stuff, but if you are talking about the motor then it is all the same.

Damn Good ****!

there are reviews on roadsterdrift.com about their products and you can do a google on mahura.

BTW this forum helped me a ton on the loose ends of my swap, thanks guys keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by DRIFTMX5
                              Yes I have heard of them. Their products are top notch. There are several sources for their products in the US. They pretty much just do roadster stuff, but if you are talking about the motor then it is all the same.

Damn Good ****!

there are reviews on roadsterdrift.com about their products and you can do a google on mahura.

BTW this forum helped me a ton on the loose ends of my swap, thanks guys keep it up!
                              Glad it has helped. Welcome to the forum. Pics are welcomed in the Photo section.

Comment

So basically we're looking at 200$ for cam gears, and couple that with the exhintake swap and we get what...10 whp? more?

Comment

Working...
                                X