Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please HELP: Mazda Protege just wont Start

Hi:

My car was working fine, I drove it on Friday, On saturday I try starting it, it just wont start, I hear clicking noise and beyond that nothing. I checked if it was Battery but no, Battery is fine, Oil is fine. I had a similar problem couple of years ago, and the repair man said he cleaned the Solenoid. Where can I find the Solenoid on Mazda Protege 1993 Model. I dont have the Jack to lift it up, Can it be accessed from the Top. I opened the Distributor Cap, Spark Plugs etc all seem OK. I hoep to fix it myself to spare some cash on this old car. All help appreciated.

Thanks

TP

Sounds like a bad starter, if the solenoid is clicking then it's probably the starter motor not the solenoid. A new starter is usually about $60+core and you'll probably need a jack to change it...

The pro is dead..I'll be parting it out soon

Comment

Are you sure about the battery. Do you have any type of corrosion buildup on the terminals also see if your groundwire is loose on the terminal.. If it is that can also be the problem.. If all those are fine then its more than likely your starter.. You local advance auto can test the stater to see if its bad.. You will just have to take it off and take it to them.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VelBurg
        Are you sure about the battery. Do you have any type of corrosion buildup on the terminals also see if your groundwire is loose on the terminal.. If it is that can also be the problem.. If all those are fine then its more than likely your starter.. You local advance auto can test the stater to see if its bad.. You will just have to take it off and take it to them.
        Does that battery seem ok? Do your lights and fans and everything work?
        '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
        '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
        '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
        '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
        '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
        '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

wow..same thing happen to me Sunday. Drove all weekend, woke up sunday to wash it. Click click nothing
          battery, is fine. Had power. But it wouldnt start. It would roll start, but wouldnt cut on by it self. The Starter motor prob seized up like mine did. 59.98 at advanced auto parts, was the cheapest i foudn them at. before it went it was taking a little more effort to start...tho i just didnt put al lthe pieces together until after it went out...But its pretty easy to remove and install..

Comment

jitb37:

Can you give me more information where I can loacte the Solenoid on my MAzda 1993 Protege, Can I remove it from the top, I dont have a Jack. I read people stating if your car does not start, hit the Solenoid with a Hammer? is this correct. LAst time this happened the reapr man said he ad to clean the solenoid, I guess it would have taken in several minutes instead he charged me hour & halfs labor. I want to fix this myself.

Thanks
            TPing

Comment

This happened to me a few years ago and I was in another state so my mom had the starter replaced and it worked fine after that.. I also had the problem a few months ago but cleaned up the battery terminals and it worked fine after that.

92 Protege DX - Sold.
              91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
              95 Ford Contour GL - Crashed.
              96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
              90 Honda Accord LX - Sold.
              98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Originally posted by TPing
                jitb37:

Can you give me more information where I can loacte the Solenoid on my MAzda 1993 Protege, Can I remove it from the top, I dont have a Jack. I read people stating if your car does not start, hit the Solenoid with a Hammer? is this correct. LAst time this happened the reapr man said he ad to clean the solenoid, I guess it would have taken in several minutes instead he charged me hour & halfs labor. I want to fix this myself.

Thanks
                TPing
                The solenoid is what makes the clicking sound. If you hear the clicking sound, that means the solenoid is not the problem so you don't need to worry about it.

Comment

Thanks Folks: I fixed the problem, the old battery was going dead, I bought a new one, Car starts now

TP

Comment

Starting problem

Did the battery test bad? An OK battery plus a starter that is wearing out = intermitant no start. The new battery may seem like it fixed the problem. But when the starter finally quits the new battery won't help.

Comment

Working...
                    X