Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check Engine Light/1993 Protege/?Read Codes or ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Engine Light/1993 Protege/?Read Codes or ????

My 1993 Protege has been in top running condition until the spring
    thaw and the rains started up. When it rains or is very damp out,
    the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT goes on and the car is prone to stalling
    and hesitating. That is what happened yesterday.
    Took it to garage and paid CDN $246.00 for new air filter, top oil
    gasket change (as this had been leaking a bit and causing smoking
    under hood). Had just changed the gas filter (external one) a few
    months ago, also new alternator, spark plugs a few months ago.
    When I drove it home yesterday, in the hard rain, engine light came
    on again and it started hesitating.
    TODAY, it is cool and dry out and just started it up and drove it around
    a little, and Check Engine Light does not come on and it does not
    hesitate or threaten to stall.
    QUESTION: I LOVE MY CAR BUT CANNOT FEEL THAT IT IS UNRELIABLE
    AND UN-DRIVE-ABLE EVERY TIME IT RAINS OUT!! SHOULD I GET THE
    CODES READ FOR THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DONE AT A MAZDA DEALER
    THE NEXT TIME IT DOES THIS as I could not get them read at the corner
    mechanic because he said his machine does not read them for a car that
    old .... If/when I do get the Check Engine Code or codes read, what does
    that tell the mechanic ??? AS IN ... WHAT KIND OF PROBLEM COULD BE
    CAUSING THIS ... WILL THE CODES TELL HIM EXACTLY WHAT THE DIAGNOSIS
    IS AND WHAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED?
    THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES AND TIME.
    BINGO

if you get the codes read.. it will be alot easier to fix... -.- when my o2 sensor died after a headgasket, i didnt know what the hell it was, cold morning starts would shoot a code. grounding the ten pin would shoot a code, so i went on the computer, checked what that code was, and got a bad o2, did a 4 wire conversion, and now it's so sexy i wanna molest it when it runs.

Comment

Originally posted by hienishere
      if you get the codes read.. it will be alot easier to fix... -.- when my o2 sensor died after a headgasket, i didnt know what the hell it was, cold morning starts would shoot a code. grounding the ten pin would shoot a code, so i went on the computer, checked what that code was, and got a bad o2, did a 4 wire conversion, and now it's so sexy i wanna molest it when it runs.
      OK, THANKS... AND ... WHEN YOU SAY SHOOT A CODE, DO YOU MEAN
      THAT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WENT ON? ALSO, WHAT IS
      GROUNDING THE TEN PIN AND WHAT IS A 4 WIRE CONVERSION?

Comment

This is what shooting the code is, you can do this in your driveway with a paperclip.
        Copied from Haynes manual.

Pulling Codes 1990-1994 Protégé/323

1)The PCM (computer) has a built in self diagnosis system which detects malfunctions in the system sensors and alerts the driver by illuminating a CHECK ENGINE warning light in the instrument panel. The computer stores the failure code until the diagnostic system is cleared by disconnecting the negative battery cable then depressing the brake pedal for a period of five seconds or longer. The warning light goes out automatically when the malfunction is repaired.

2)The CHECK ENGINE warning light should come on when the ignition switch is placed in the On position, this checks the bulb for proper operation. When the engine is started the warning light should go out. If the light remains on, the diagnostic system has detected a malfunction or abnormality in the system.

3)To determine which sensor or system component is malfunctioning, connect a jumper wire (paper clip) between the TEN and GND terminals at the DIAGNOSTIC test connector in the engine compartment. Make sure the battery voltage is greater then 11 volts, the transmission in Neutral, the accessories are off, the throttle valve is closed and the engine is at normal operating temperature, then turn the ignition switch to the ON position but do not start the engine.

4)The diagnostic code is the number of flashes indicated on the CHECK ENGINE light. If no codes are stored, the CHECK ENGINE light will come on for a few moments, then go out. If any malfunction has been detected, the light will blink the first digit(s) of the code at a long interval(s) and then blink the second digit of the code at short interval(s). For example, a code 34 (IAC valve) will first blink three flashes and then pause and blink four quick flashes. NOTE: If the code is simply a single digit number, the CHECK ENGINE light will flash in the quick mode.

Codes:
        02 Distributor Ne-signal
        03 Distributor G-signal
        08 Airflow Sensor
        09 Coolant temp. sensor
        10 Intake air temp. sensor
        12 Throttle position sensor
        14 Barometric pressure sensor
        15 O2 sensor
        17 O2 sensor has detected a rich or lean condition
        25 Solenoid valve (fuel pressure regulator)
        26 Solenoid valve (purge control)
        34 IAC valve
        41 Solenoid valve (VICS)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by protégébob; 04-22-2005, 11:43 PM.

93' 5spd DX
        R.I.P

Comment

sorry i didnt make that clear, thought you knew about that.. =P my bad
          yeah, the CEL came on and would turn off after it would be running at regular temps, so at around the same time i was reading about a 4-wire o2 sensor conversion, meaning a o2 with a heater element to heat the o2 seperatly instead of depending on exhaust manifold temperatures, you get better readings at lower engine temperatures, overall better performance, i'd say so anyhow

Comment

Thanks for your help ! It was a code 09 - coolant temp. sensor -- now fixed!

Originally posted by protegebob
            This is what shooting the code is, you can do this in your driveway with a paperclip.
            Copied from Haynes manual.

Pulling Codes 1990-1994 Protégé/323

1)The PCM (computer) has a built in self diagnosis system which detects malfunctions in the system sensors and alerts the driver by illuminating a CHECK ENGINE warning light in the instrument panel. The computer stores the failure code until the diagnostic system is cleared by disconnecting the negative battery cable then depressing the brake pedal for a period of five seconds or longer. The warning light goes out automatically when the malfunction is repaired.

2)The CHECK ENGINE warning light should come on when the ignition switch is placed in the On position, this checks the bulb for proper operation. When the engine is started the warning light should go out. If the light remains on, the diagnostic system has detected a malfunction or abnormality in the system.

3)To determine which sensor or system component is malfunctioning, connect a jumper wire (paper clip) between the TEN and GND terminals at the DIAGNOSTIC test connector in the engine compartment. Make sure the battery voltage is greater then 11 volts, the transmission in Neutral, the accessories are off, the throttle valve is closed and the engine is at normal operating temperature, then turn the ignition switch to the ON position but do not start the engine.

4)The diagnostic code is the number of flashes indicated on the CHECK ENGINE light. If no codes are stored, the CHECK ENGINE light will come on for a few moments, then go out. If any malfunction has been detected, the light will blink the first digit(s) of the code at a long interval(s) and then blink the second digit of the code at short interval(s). For example, a code 34 (IAC valve) will first blink three flashes and then pause and blink four quick flashes. NOTE: If the code is simply a single digit number, the CHECK ENGINE light will flash in the quick mode.

Codes:
            02 Distributor Ne-signal
            03 Distributor G-signal
            08 Airflow Sensor
            09 Coolant temp. sensor
            10 Intake air temp. sensor
            12 Throttle position sensor
            14 Barometric pressure sensor
            15 O2 sensor
            17 O2 sensor has detected a rich or lean condition
            25 Solenoid valve (fuel pressure regulator)
            26 Solenoid valve (purge control)
            34 IAC valve
            41 Solenoid valve (VICS)

Comment

THANK YOU for your help ! Just got my codes read on week-end
              and it was a code 09 sensor - coolant temp... it is now replaced
              and no check engine light on now!
              I now understand about the Mazda code system thanks to you.
              Bingo

Comment

Originally posted by bingo
                THANK YOU for your help ! Just got my codes read on week-end
                and it was a code 09 sensor - coolant temp... it is now replaced
                and no check engine light on now!
                I now understand about the Mazda code system thanks to you.
                Bingo

Comment

Has anyone had else had a code 15 and 17 come on a year after replacing an O2 sensor with this one: Bosh 11027?

Comment

Working...
                  X