Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know if I need to change Timing Belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I know if I need to change Timing Belt?

I just bought a 97 Protege LX (113k mile) 3 weeks ago. When I was reading the manual today I found that I need to change timing belt at 105k mile. I am not sure whether the past owners have change it. (It is a CA car brought to PA).

How do I know whether I need to change timing belt? Any signs?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Is there anything wrong with car now? Because if you hear/feel something, describe it, and we would help. In either way, I think the manual states that timing belt should be done at 80K. If nothing is bothering you about the way the engine runs now, you can get by. Because it can cost you $300-400 to replace it at most shops (for dealer's labor be prepared to add extra).
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Right now I don't feel that anything is wrong... Just that wherever I stop at stop lights the car vibrates with something like a knocking / ticking sound (hard to describe) under the wheel. Is that a sign that I have to replace the timing belt?

It would help me greatly if someone is able to tell me what would happen if I do not replace the timing belt and then it is suddenly broken... is the car going to be totalled? If there are any signs that the timing belt is failing that I can notice, that would be great information too. Thank you very much!

Comment

The vibration/knocking/ticking and such is caused by bad mounts. Probably the front engine, rear tranny, front(top) engine mount(s), or a combination of any of those. I had the same happen before, and I already replaced the front engine mount, thus fixing my problem. Labor should be no more then an hour. I watched mine getting done, and it took no more then 30mins. Its very possible doing it yourself, provided you have good experience and know what you are doing. As far as the part goes, you can get quotes that will run you about $100-150. If your problem had to anything with the timing belt, your engine would have been misfiring, sputtering, etc. Goodluck!

BTW, not that I am a post whore or anything, but this is number 1000 for me!
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

if you're unsure of the engines history, and if it has over 80,000 miles have the timing belt inspected and if there is uncertainty change it!

timing belts dont have 'symptoms' when they're aging unless under visual inspection
          they snap and **** you up...

inspect it and then go from there

that vibrating is not related to the timingbelt, however get the timingbelt checked
          and some other preventative maintenence you should do...

flush all your brake fluid and coolant
          coolant becomes acidic over time and can hurt your engine from the inside out
          brake fluid builds up moisture and over time can rust your brake system from inside out

change your engine oil and gear oil
          check your plugs for irregular wear
          check your wires for proper resistance
          hit the harmonic with a timing light and make sure your ignition timing is proper

THEN the basics are covered...
          that **** should always be examined when you get another car
          always!

that vibrating is prolly a bad mount as turbonium said

Comment

Well you CAN get away without changing the timing belt. Just know that if it snaps, the car will be stranded until it can be replaced. Fortunately these engines are non-interference and will not cause damage to the motor if the belt breaks, besides making it non-operational for a while.
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
              Well you CAN get away without changing the timing belt. Just know that if it snaps, the car will be stranded until it can be replaced. Fortunately these engines are non-interference and will not cause damage to the motor if the belt breaks, besides making it non-operational for a while.
              What he said...
              also my local parts store sells the timing belt for 122.00$ But I can get it for 30.00$!!! It pays to make friends with the guys working behind the counter.
              '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
              Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

Thanks

Thank you very much guys. You guys are REALLY helpful. I plan to do some of the preventive maintenance stuff myself. Since I am a absolute beginners with cars (my most advanced experience is filling up the windsheild fluid), where shoudl I start with (the simplest) so that I can gradually move up to more advanced / complex task?

Comment

go buy a haynes or chiltons manual for your car... and skim thru that
                  and start by doing something simple like checking your plugs to give you an idea how the engines running

in the cover of the manual they got a chart with pictures to help out
                  then move onto the coolant flush, thats prolly the next easiest thing
                  use premixed coolant

Comment

ebay has timing belts for our pro's for about $15.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
                    Mods:
                    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Go to the dealership for timing belts, they aren't that expensive, and they're the right ****.
                      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Labor Cost

Thanks guys. I think what I will do is to buy a timing belt from ebay / other online disount stores and then bring it to a mechanic to install it. How much labor cost should I expect? Is pepboys / strauss auto a good place to go for this?

Comment

Originally posted by hkchuen
                          Thanks guys. I think what I will do is to buy a timing belt from ebay / other online disount stores and then bring it to a mechanic to install it. How much labor cost should I expect? Is pepboys / strauss auto a good place to go for this?
                          hey man, i kno you're new... but midnightblue97 is right... do not buy ebay belts

now we know the dealership has high markups.. however, its the right part with the right fit for the right car and combined with other 'right' parts will make the car have the proper reliability it was intended to have

ebay belts are that cheap for a reason...
                          stick with OEM stuff

if you're going to be paying $300.00 + for labour... dont cheap out on a belt
                          last thing you need is for the ebay belt to snap and **** you up

then you're out for a NEW belt AND another $300.00 bucks
                          do it right, do it once

Comment

Working...
                          X