Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed Quickor sway bar now getting "popping" over large bumps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Quickor sway bar now getting "popping" over large bumps...

I installed a Quickor sway bar on Monday and now when I go over certain bumps I hear this loud popping click in the rear. There has always been the sort of light thumping noise when hitting bumps before but now it sounds like something breaking. Any thoughts as to what is broken back there? I was thinking it was something along the lines of a worn wheel bearing or something before and never worried about to much but the sound it makes now just kills me. Bad strut mount maybe? It seems like sometimes during a turn it will make the noise too but I can't tell if I'm just going over bumps in the turn.
    Not the sports page Not a magazine

did you use new bushings and endlink bolts? (with the proper spacer sleeve length)

Comment

I used teh Quickor bushings and endlinks that came with the bar. It had never been used. The drawing/instructions from Quickor that came with the bar didn't show the spacer sleeves that were on my stock bar being used so I didn't put them back on, and the endlinks that came with the bar had no sleeves on them. So is my lack of spacer sleeves the problem? I thought it was weird that the bar touched the trailing arms(maybe not the correct term but I'm talking about where the endlinks mount).

Comment

yes, add that spacer. It'll push the bar up and stop it from rubbing.

Comment

Are these spacers something I can find at autozone or pep boys because the ones off my stock bar are toast. One of the endlink bolts was rusted to the spacer and the head stripped off, I had to cut through the nut and bolt on the top half with a hacksaw blade to get the spacer and bolt to fall through the bottom. As it is now with the endlink bolts it came with there's only about 3/4 of an inch of exposed thread above the top cup washer and definately not enough room for a spacer like the stock one.

Comment

oh ya, now i remember, those bushingss it came with are too big. I used my ST bar bushings and it all fit fine. Never had any issues.

you can get ES endlink bolt/bushing/sleeve kits at Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. You can shave down the quickor bushings or use the ones that come with the endlink kits.

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for the help. I'll hit up pep boys on my way home from work because I've seen the endlink kits there.

Comment

no problemo

Comment

Brilliant deduction! I had to order the endlinks but I put a few washers that were the same diamter as the bolt in bewtween the two bushings that should have had a spacer between so I could at least stop the sway bar from touching. There's less than an 1/8 of an inch of clearance but there's no more rubbing and godawful popping. It'll hold me over until the endlinks get here at least.

Comment

wOOt!

Comment

Any pics of how to modify the bushing?
                      Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

you don't need to modify anything if ya have the stock endlink bolts w/sleeve spacer or a new kit. The bushings that come with the quickor bar are really fat and will not fit with the sleeve spacer, you can shave them down tho.

oh look, i found my thread when i installed mine here

this is how it should look

Comment

Working...
                        X