New catalytic converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New catalytic converter

Well, I've been getting a CEL for almost 6 months now, reporting that the warmup catalyst is operating below efficiency..
    And not its time to take the car into DEQ, so I cant pass currently.
    If I erase the CEL, DEQ wont pass me either (the car reports the sensors arent ready, and error out)
    I had a friend read the sensor's output the other day, and both sensors report fine after the CEL comes on (weird, eh?)
    I dont remember the numbers, but the front and rear had different, almost halved-numbers, so the cat -was- doing something, but must not be meeting the requirements.
    I got a quote from one shop, $600 to replace the cat (federal emissions).
    Should I keep shopping, or is that market rate?
    Ive got almost 2 months till my tags fully expire, so I've got time... I might even look into that o2 sensor trick to get the car to think the cat is working fine -- its way back in the forums, but Ill try to find it again... only thing is, its illegal to mess with the exhaust like that, I think
    Last edited by skullone; 05-16-2005, 04:08 PM.
    '98 Protege (Sold at 125k miles)
    2006 Mazda3S Grand Touring, Heated Black Leather, Moonroof, Bose 6CD, Tow package (LOL)

for $600 they better give you more than just a cat . . . i got cat and muffler done for less than that including parts.

Comment

Hrm, after reading further, it appears my model (the 1.5L) has 2 cats...
      I assume that when it says bank1 has failed, it means the front cat has failed...
      Guess Ill see about replacing both...
      Midas quoted me $200 for the job, but I didnt ask if it was for both, or what...
      2006 Mazda3S Grand Touring, Heated Black Leather, Moonroof, Bose 6CD, Tow package (LOL)

Comment

did you find a price or where to get the front cat? i need one cause i'm ripping that goddamn bastard of a turbo out.. i have the exhaust manny, just need a cat
        98 Protege SE
        -------------------
        1.5L Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Clappy
          did you find a price or where to get the front cat? i need one cause i'm ripping that goddamn bastard of a turbo out.. i have the exhaust manny, just need a cat
          Well, this friday Im going to Midas to have to put on a near rear cat.
          The job is going to cost about $215, so I assume the cat itself it $130-150 or so that they use.

Hopefuly this solves my issue, and I dont have to replace the front cat (which is $300+ for the cat itself).

Comment

sounds like youre paying too much.

Comment

Well, the cheapest primary cat I've found online is $349, not installed.
              The code, and service manual were not clear at all about which cat it was referring to, so I took a guess, and apparently I'm wrong. Its too late now, the under-cat has already been replaced, if its the wrong one, the CEL will come back on in a few days.

Comment

the o2 sensors are between the two cats, not after the second. did you check magnaflow? i got a hi-flow for way less than you paid, and they have oem-replacement too.

Comment

I found a magnaflow direct-fit for $270, for the front.
                  Im going to go back to Midas and tell em to refund me the rear cat if it wasnt the problem (probably wont get a refund on the labor, since I came in to them saying the sensor said it was the front to begin with... they insisted it was the rear)

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                  the o2 sensors are between the two cats, not after the second. did you check magnaflow? i got a hi-flow for way less than you paid, and they have oem-replacement too.

Comment

Well, Midas refunded me for the rear cat, that they admitted didn't need to be replaced, after ignoring my ideas, and the OBD code.

So, in the end, Ill be looking for a shop to bypass the pre-cat, and I'll modify the rear o2 sensor from this guide:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52498

All in all, I'm not out anything besides my time.. in the process of ****ing with my car though, found a bad plug wire that wasnt firing correctly, or at all.
                    Semi-fixed my idle problem, but not much.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                      you need to call the BBB then, because incorrectly fixed your car!
                      for "compensation", then need to install the precat in exchange of reinstalling your original rear cat (uhh good luck, its probably in the landfill right now)... but anyhow raise hell!
                      No, they left the new main cat in, they refunded me the job though...
                      So, I'm literaly not out anything... (the rear cat had a big dent in it, so it was shot anyways, but I got a free new one)

Just leaves me back at p0421, warmup cat below efficiency, which Im about to say **** it, and mod my o2 sensor anyways...

Comment

Working...
                      X