94 DX wont start. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 DX wont start. Help!

Hey guys. First off I want to say that I am happy that I found a site that is dedicated to these way overlooked cars.
    Ok here is my story. This morning I was on my way home from work and everything seemed fine. I didnt even get out of the parking lot and it just stopped. It was wierd cause there was no bang or boom or anything it was just a complete stop like it ran out of gas but without the studdering or hesitation. I tried to start it up again, but nothing happened. It cranks over and over, but like I said before it was like there was no gas in it. The fuel guage still reads just under half a tank. The car only have 71k miles on it and has been in the family since new. As far as I know all the scheduled maintanance has been done. Just looking for some advice. I think it may be the fuel pump or filter or both. But before I go out and spend the bux on those I just wanted to get a second opinion. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanx
    94 Protege DX... A work in progress.
    Spring Tech Springs
    Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Cone Filter
    17" Rotas
    More to Come......

Welcome

I sound like it might be spark related. When was the last time you change the wires?

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

To check your fuel pump: Jump GND and F/P on your Diagnosis box, with the key ON.
      Check for spark, check any loose connections.
      Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
      you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

I wouldnt have thought it would have anything to do with the sparkplugs cause it was running and and started up fine, then it just suddenly stopped and didnt start up again.
        Spring Tech Springs
        Cone Filter
        17" Rotas
        More to Come......

Comment

you might have a ground wire loose.

Comment

Any idea where I might find the ground that might be causing this problem. Right now it is sitting at my works parking lot and I dont want to have it there much longer. If I cant resolve this soon I may just need to ship it out to a Mazda dealership to have them look at it. As much as I dont want to, cause it will cost a grip. Right now I am up for any suggestions.
            There is also something else, tho I am not sure if it is tied in in anyway. Recently I found that the horn is just randomly going off. This has happened like 3 times and all 3 times it happened at night, usually right after the frost starts to form on the car. It is just one continuous beep. The car is not equiped with a security system that involves the horn. The way I have been turning it off is to just hit the horn on the steering wheel a couple times and it usually stops. Like I said before I am not sure that this has anything to do with my starting problem, but if it gives any clues to anyone out there I think it should be known. Thanx again
            Spring Tech Springs
            Cone Filter
            17" Rotas
            More to Come......

Comment

horn is a common issue... there is a metal plate that flexes to touch a 2nd metal plate behind it. There is a thin piece of foam that wears over time. When it does, the metal makes contact and will cause the horn to go off (weather changes = heating and cooling = metal expanding and shrinking and ending up touching.)

You got to pull the center piece off of the steering wheel (3 screws) and pull it apart. It is all pretty straight forward once you get it off of there. Then cut a piece of foam to fit between the metal plates, and cut holes in the appropriate places to mimic the old piece of foam.

Probably nothing to do with your starting system. Check for spark and fuel. If your getting those, then your timing is probably off.

To check for fuel, try to start it, and when it doesnt pull a plug and smell for fuel in one of the cylinders.... not really the best way of doing it, but its a quick test.
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

check your timing belt... take off the oil filler cap and have someone crank the engine... look inside the oil filler cap and see if anthing moves inside. If yes, then check your basics, fuel air spark. If no, then unfortunately your timing belt broke.

Comment

well if your car is cranking then your grounds are fine, maybe loose or dirty, i just said you might have a ground problem in reference to the car just shutting off. however i have to agree with the posts above, take your timing belt cover off and see if thats your problem.

Comment

Thanx for all the suggestions guys. The car is currently still at my job and will hopefully be getting towed back to my place sometime today. Then I will be able to dig into it and figure out what this problem may be. If there are any other suggestions, feel free to post them. Other than that I will keep you posted as to what I find out.

Thanx again
                    Spring Tech Springs
                    Cone Filter
                    17" Rotas
                    More to Come......

Comment

ok well I looked a little harder at what the problem might be and found out that I dont have any spark. Any idea which direction I should go with this?
                      Spring Tech Springs
                      Cone Filter
                      17" Rotas
                      More to Come......

Comment

from the distributor or the coil?

Comment

from the coil
                          Spring Tech Springs
                          Cone Filter
                          17" Rotas
                          More to Come......

Comment

Did you check to see if it's pluged in, cuz my old one always came unpluged

Comment

Well I disconnected it and connected it back up, so I assume that it is plugged in correctly. I guess I can always double check
                              Spring Tech Springs
                              Cone Filter
                              17" Rotas
                              More to Come......

Comment

Working...
                              X