Questions about parts for my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about parts for my car

Well, my car is running good but I've got problems to fix.
    First up, prolly most important, is front brake rotors. My right front is warped and squeaky, and both fronts have already been on the brake lathe(the previous owner was uber dumb and had front pads that were about the size of the rears, creating wear from the outer edge about 75% in, then a raised area where the pads didn't go, so we had to turn them just to allow for the normal Mazda brake pads. Gah) I've been looking on E-bay for the Brembo slotted/drilled rotors, but they're all for 3rd gens.
    Found em here. Is that a good price? Anyone deal with them in the past?

2nd up is exhaust. Ofcourse, I've got the Pacesetter header/downpipe, but the rest of my exhaust is the crappy crunch-bent tubing, with a clamped joint that is leaky(the clamp was too tight, so it ovaled the tubing and even with a new clamp it's still leaking), a gutted converter(because it dissentigrated and a chunk had clogged the muffler so we busted out the rest of it so that it wouldn't happen again), and my muffler is also pretty crappy. The muffler, however, I'm going to try to use a Probe GT/MX-6 LS/626 V6 muffler, my brother has access to one but I'm not exactly sure how it'll fit. Basically I'm looking for piping from the downpipe to the muffler, mandrel bent(hopefully) and a high-flow cat. Something that fits good with little to no modding, and isn't annoyingly loud. Any ideas?

3rd is struts. Alright alright, so you guys were right. My Protege is sitting too high. Looks kinda goofy with the Miata wheels and several inches between the tires and wheel arches. I'm thinking MX-3 struts/springs. I don't want a really rough ride, and I'd like to keep it factory Mazda, or close to it. What other options do I have? I know ZX-2 struts also...what about newer Mazda struts, like off of a 3rd gen Protege?

Thanks for the help!

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

I figure you can't beat the ZX2 s/r struts for an OEM combo that'll actually give you a lowered rideheight and better performance. As for your exhaust, go custom... it's a lot cheaper then people think to have a complete exhaust system fabbed at a shop, it usually costs less than buying a pre-fabbed cat-back from a company and you can have it made exactly how you want it (no 5" exhaust tip). I had a header-back system made for the CRX with the exhaust coming out the passenger side in front of the rear tire and it only cost me $70 total... my $.02
    '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

1st - look up nopi's site... something like nopi.com or nopionline.com.... they have the blank brembos for cheap that work really well. Best used with some hawk or axxis pads off of ebay.

2nd - talk to some local muffler shops. Dont pay more than 300 bux for a cat back... hell I wouldn't pay more than 200, but thats local for me, and different locations are going to vary.

3rd - If you really wanted to keep it mazda, then talk to dave about possibly importing some GTX/GTR struts or something for that stiffer ride. Personally, I would do with the ZX2's and either the Eibach/MX-3 H&R's. I have sprint springs, and I love them... they have a 2in drop (closer to how much gap you want to dissapear) and they are still a comfortable ride. There have been alot of threads about people opinions of their springs, just look for them if you want more details.

Good luck on your decisions.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Well I think a 2" drop is too much. I'm not looking for a low ride hieght, just a better ride hieght that still gives me good driveability, ride quality, etc. I was just wondering how MX-3 or ZX-2 struts are in those terms on the Protege. I could prolly pick up a set at the junkyard for $60 for all 4. In the rare event that there's a 3rd gen Protege at the junkyard, do those work on our Proteges?

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
          Well I think a 2" drop is too much. I'm not looking for a low ride hieght, just a better ride hieght that still gives me good driveability, ride quality, etc. I was just wondering how MX-3 or ZX-2 struts are in those terms on the Protege. I could prolly pick up a set at the junkyard for $60 for all 4. In the rare event that there's a 3rd gen Protege at the junkyard, do those work on our Proteges?
          I would think so as well, but dont the 17's add some ride height?

Meh, there have been plenty of threads about springs and ppl's opinions. since you dont want a harsh ride, I would avoid the MX-3 H&R springs since they are the stiffest ones w/o going to coilovers. Alot of members have the eibach springs with their ZX2 struts, and they love them.

Comment

Well, my Miata wheels are 16"s with 205/45s, I think we figured they are just fractions of an inch bigger in total diameter than the stock 185/55/14s that are stock on the Protege. It's just the big wheel/small tire look that makes them appear big.

After a quick talk with my dad, I'm going with the Brembo blanks...Few things I didn't think about, with the cross drilled and slotted there's less surface area compared to the blanks. I don't do the kind of braking that causes a need for cross drilled and slotted.

Comment

the brembo blanks are the best choice IMO.

205/45's are going to have a larger sidewall than just an inch. Your overall diamemter will be larger than that. (5.4% different or something like that is what miata tirecalc said)

Comment

Here's what it is:
                Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
                185/60-14 4.4in 11.4in 22.7in 71.4in 887 0.0%
                205/45-16 3.6in 11.6in 23.3in 73.1in 867 2.3%

Looks like I'll get the blanks off of Nopi, unless I can locate them for less than $25.

Comment

cross-drilled / slotted are beyond useless on the street.
                  sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                  92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

also in relation to the zx2, if you take the eibach springs as the other half of the combo, the ride height is dropped to about 1" as compared to 2" with the others. so you can look into those as well.
                    I am thinking of going with that combo myself.

Comment

wouldn't the H&R springs be less of a drop b/c they are stiffer?

Since he is looking for a not as stiff ride, I would reccomend the Eibachs as well.

Comment

So ZX-2 struts and Eibach springs are what you're reccomending?

Got the Brembo blanks on order from Nopi...they had them the cheapest. Thanks for pointing me to that site.

Comment

its what a few members have had, and they said it was a very nice ride. I personally dont have them, but I base my opinions off of what I have read from others.

No problem, Rob pointed me to the nopi site before he sold out, so I was just merely passing the info along.

Comment

Ok thanks a ton for pointing me to them, I got them today, merely 2 days after I ordered them! Should have em on the car tomarrow...one looks like someone dropped something on it, there's 2 chips on the edge but becides that they are perfect. And I even got a free issue of Nopi Rice magazine. Yippie!

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
                              Ok thanks a ton for pointing me to them, I got them today, merely 2 days after I ordered them! Should have em on the car tomarrow...one looks like someone dropped something on it, there's 2 chips on the edge but becides that they are perfect. And I even got a free issue of Nopi Rice magazine. Yippie!

slap a jdm label on it and sell it to local riCe.

that or it makes a good coaster.

Comment

Working...
                              X