Modified intake tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modified intake tests

So I broke out the old U tube monometer, and decided to do a few tests last night.
    To get a feel for what the old intake was doing.
    Now I would like to point out that I have no grill. So airflow to the stock intake was greatly increased.

The trials were accelerating through 60 and crusing (holding speed) at 60 same for 80mph. I also did a peak intake vacume measurement which usually came around in 1st gear at 5k rpm (coincidentily peak power so it makes some sense). All measurements are in in H20.

1st trial stock
    peak -6
    through 60 -5
    crusin 60 0
    though 80 -3
    crusin 80 +.5

2nd trial NO filter
    peak -3
    through 60 -2
    crusin 60 +.5
    though 80 -1.5
    crusin 80 +.5

3rd trial NO snorkle
    peak -5.5
    through 60 -4
    crusin 60 0
    though 80 -3
    crusin 80 0

4th trial NO snorkle, No Resonator
    peak -3.75
    through 60 -3.5
    crusin 60 +.25
    though 80 -2.5
    crusin 80 +0.5

5th trial NO snorkle, No resonator, Bottom of the airbox removed
    THe filter was duct taped on to the top of the air box.
    peak -3
    through 60 -2.5
    crusin 60 +.25
    though 80 -2
    crusin 80 +.5

Looks like the car runs best with no filter. And there's a pressure build up in the engine bay.
    Im staying stock though because it gets cold air that way.

Great research and data. Exactly where in the air intake system was the pick-up point for the manometer located or did you vary its position according to the test?
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I put in a breather and replaced the veltalation hose with the monometer tube. Its the hose from the head to the part of the intake after the air box.

On another note our crakcase scavanging is really well done. It takes in air from the intake and runs it through the head and out to the intake manifold. I think the breather filter will come in handy later on if I ever get some possitive pressure on the intake

Comment

As you said, you obtained the best results in the 2nd trial without the air filter. I'm assuming this trial involved ram air intake with snorkel, resonator and air box in place?

Peak, along with the 5th trial, had the lowest pressure drop of all with -3" H2O.
        Through 60 was the best of all trials with a pressure drop of only -2" H2O.
        Cruising 60 actually showed the highest pressure above atmospheric of all trials with +.5" H2O.
        Through 80 was again the best of all trials with the lowest pressure drop of only -1.5" H2O.
        Finally, cruising 80 also indicated a positive pressure of +.5" H2O, equalled by trials 1, 4 and 5 but surpassing trial 3.

I noticed that in trials 4 and 5 without snorkel and resonator, a positive pressure occured in certain modes even in the absence of ram air. Is this what you meant by saying that there is a pressure build up in the engine bay?

Very interesting and useful data for anyone interested in modifying air intake systems. Thank you for carrying out the research and posting the results.
        Last edited by goldstar; 06-22-2005, 02:51 PM.
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Thanks. There were cops everywhere last night for some reason. It was a bit of a problem to get to 80 redily.

Im gonna go try out some more tests in a few days. At least one with a scoop and a few to check the pressure build up in the engine bay. The air comes in readily from the front and then seems to have trouble leaving becuase it needs to leave downward.

I was about to try out a diffuser style plate across the bottom of the front of the car. In an effort to improve areodynamics and possibly milage. BUt I dont think I should go ahead and do that with a pressure build up. I remember someone comming up with a trick to remove part of the weather stipping that coverd the back of the hood. Ill give that a try, and see if it does anything.

Comment

I'm looking forward to reading about your next series of tests.

Comment

Working...
            X