I'm gonna strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna strip

That's right people. I'm so gonna strip now. Paint is horrible, tired of driving downt eh road and it flakin off onto windshield.... Went to walmart this morning, got some 60 grit sand paper, and got an auto paint removing spinning thin that goes on my drill (if works will make it alot faster) Here what it looks like now..... I'll probably start with the hood... See how horrible it looks afterwards, then continue on section by section. If all goes well, ill get it done same day. I dont wanna drive around a half painted car haha. And actually after i look at some pics of teh car, im wondering if i can just strip/sand down the panels that have paint coming off.... Hood, doors, roof, trunk, rear bumper... Well n/m.. why not just od the whole damn car then. Anyone know the paint code for that color there... i wanna get it done that same color afterwards. Original color
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

heh forgot to put pics
    Attached Files
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

damn, thtas insane!! i have a 93 the same color, and the only thing wrong with my paint is damn door dings and bird ****!!
      "Squirrels are evil because they have thumbs."
      - Chick McGee

Comment

eeek....
        Eat ****.

Comment

dude, DONT USE 60 GRIT!!!
          especially by hand, use 120, if you want to get to metal, or 220 to get it to the sealer

also anywhere you make it to bare metal needs to be etched, self etching primer works well

if your doing an entire car, use a D/A sander (ok ones at home depot) and 220, trust me you'll get the font end done by hand and be like FARK THIS SHT, trust me
          if you need more info on painting the car google search it, or PM me
          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

yeah i have a 93 the same color too, and im only missing a small scratch on the hood...must have gotten grazed by a rock or something...weird...but good idea - yeah u might want to use a higher grit...

Comment

definitely a dissapointment based upon thread title

Comment

Originally posted by silver03p5
                definitely a dissapointment based upon thread title

Actually i just finished up... mostly... couple finishing touches. i only did the hood for the time being.... 1.5 hrs... i did use 60 by hand at first, then decided to use that thing for the drill.... wow that worked wonders.... made it go by ALOT quicker.... took it down to the metal, got some primer..... gonna do that shortly... i wanna take some pics, cause im all BLUE!!! well tech. emerald.. but ya...

Comment

shouldnt you be able to take it to like earl scheib or macco or something and have them sand and re clearcoat? because that looks like your only problem the clearcoat is flaking so get it cleaned up then throw clear on it and viola good as new... im no paint genious though i could be wrong.
                  There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

ya if i wanna spend $500..... im saving myself soem money sanding it myself, then get it painted..... they quoted me at $900.... for everything, but im gonna take care of everything BUT the paint itself...

Comment

Haha, finally got some pictures taken...... Took almost 4 hours just todo the damn hood......
                      Attached Files

Comment

I love that grey primer!!! So Hawt!!! :suckie:
                        -'91 Festiva L
                        -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Originally posted by worldhazard
                          ya if i wanna spend $500..... im saving myself soem money sanding it myself, then get it painted..... they quoted me at $900.... for everything, but im gonna take care of everything BUT the paint itself...
                          at the local earl scheib i can get a base and clear coat job for like 750... then take away the cost of the base coat.
                          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Originally posted by FazdaBoy4ever
                            at the local earl scheib i can get a base and clear coat job for like 750... then take away the cost of the base coat.
                            what do you mean take away the base coat? the primer? hm.. well maybn ill have to ehad to portland to get this done then... dont have one of those here

Comment

All i got to say i hate peeling clearcoat why don't Mazda do something bout that.
                              I Do not own a Mazda anymore!

Comment

Working...
                              X