OBD I or OBD II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBD I or OBD II

Is 2nd Protege z5 engine OBD I or OBD II.

Originally posted by mig360m
    Is 2nd Protege z5 engine OBD I or OBD II.
    It's OBDII. All 1996 and up cars are OBDII but, fortunately for us with a 1995, Mazda jumped the gun and put the newer system in one year earlier. So all 2nd gen Proteges are OBDII.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
      all US 96+ proteges are OBD2
      mazda "jumped the gun" and EXPERIMENTED with OBD2 for the 95 model, and is NOT OBD2 compliant according to the government... so as far as everybody is concerned, the 95 is *not* OBD2
      I know what the government says but the only thing that makes it not compliant must be some minor detail. As I stated in another thread, my OBDII scanner reads it with no problem. The car was stumbling so bad that if you didn't know how to drive it you would not be able to. The OBDII scanner read the code and therefore told me where to look. I changed the sensor in the circuit it mentioned and the car was fixed with a $20 used sensor from ebay. The same sensor that is hundreds at the dealership OR auto parts store. I don't even think the stores carry it. They probably didn't include some minor feature in the 1995 version that was eventually put in the final product and is therefore considered non-compliant by the government. It's non-compliant for the government but it's OBDII compliant for the you's and me's of this world. Don't worry about the minor details. If it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck. Well, it could be a toy duck????? I think you get my point. You can use THE MAN'S opinion and call it OBDI or my opinion(and experience)and call it an OBDII in a 1995 model. It's a matter of choice.
      I'm right. No, I'm right. You're wrong. No, you're wrong!

Comment

How the diagnostic conector for OBD I or OBD II look like.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
          your babbling is meaningless

OBD2 is there and was created for emissions purposes... if it does not have certain emissions monitors as well as fault detection routines programmed, it is NOT OBD2 compliant

there are also OTHER certain 93 and 94 model cars such as the buick le sabres that have the 16 pin OBD2 style connector... an OBD2 scanner can interface with it, it can even retrieve its codes and do data dumps, but they are NOT OBD2 compliant simply because of the lacking emission features I've briefly mentioned

JUST BECAUSE IT TALKS OBD2 DOES NOT MAKE IT OBD2
          It's the other way around, your babbling is meaningless because you miss my point. I already agreed that it is NOT OBDII compliant. What I stated in different words is that, for the most part, it works out like an OBDII. Yes, yes, on paper and for all government regulations it's not OBDII because of missing functions. For the guy needing to get better results than an OBDI, this earlier version of OBDII is better than OBDI. There's no way you can say that the 95 has a system closer to OBDI than to OBDII. I owned two 94 Proteges, by the way. My problem was far easier to diagnose & repair with this "inferior" version of OBDII than it would have been with the OBDI system. It may not be the government's accepted version of the OBDII but it's OBDII nevertheless, just not the final product. For example, Microsoft currently has a product called AntiSpyware. It's only in its Beta form. After their final product is done, this first product is still called Microsoft Anti-Spyware and will still find spyware even if the final product will do a better job. Maybe I should babble more? I don't think you will accept what I say either way because people just don't want their explanation to be beaten. Once again, I AGREE IT'S NOT OBDII compliant. To the original poster: If your car is a 95, enjoy this sorry, no good, low-life, scumbag, bastard, non-compliant version of OBDII that is WAY better than OBDI.
          Last edited by mannydingo; 07-10-2005, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Ok, I will give you that much. I didn't notice he wasn't in the U.S.

Hey, my smileys don't move unless I turn my firewall off and then refresh the page. I'm not going in the firewall just to find out how to give smileys permission--too busy for that.
            Last edited by mannydingo; 07-10-2005, 10:34 AM.

Comment

My diagnostic connector has 18 pins on the top part and 8 pins on the bottom.But i have a Z5 engine. The car came with a B6 and I had to change it.

Comment

My diagnostic connector has 18 pins on the top part and 8 pins on the bottom.But i have a Z5 engine. The car came with a B6 and I had to change it.
                Isn't this known as jumping out of the frying pan into the fire? Well, not exactly since that means your B6 was fried and the Z5 wasn't. We're here talking about the 95 and you may not even have a 95. What year is it?

Comment

In Trinidad the 2nd Gen Pro(323F in Trinidad) came with a B6 engine it look the same as a BP in the 2nd Pro.It a 95 or 96

Comment

In Trinidad the 2nd Gen Pro(323F in Trinidad) came with a B6 engine it look the same as a BP in the 2nd Pro.It a 95 or 96
                    Just open the door and look at the label. If it shows that the car was made in late 94 or early 95 then it's a 95. If it's made in late 95 or early 96 then it's a 96. This is not exact but it's a very good rule of thumb. There are other things you can look for.

Comment

Working...
                    X