This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing rear usdm bumper to JDM style

I've had this spare rear bumper for some time now. Never crossed my mind to cut it up, but today driving around seen this guy in a white Protege with the factory bumpers cut up JDM style. Since I have a GTX bumper in front usdm in back. I liked how the Protege looked wish I had my camera.

Here what I started still needs to get fitted. I just put one screw to hold the bumper.

More pics to come

I don't understand.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

What don't you understand?

I seen a protege with short bumpers and it looked good.
      So I cut up my spare rear bumper to match my GTX front bumper.

I was bored figured I'll show some pictures.
      Last edited by 323Foreword; 07-18-2005, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by photoeye0
        I don't understand.
        well ya know how are bumpers stick out about a foot but the jdm ones are nice and close to the car. well he went ahead with are stock bumper and cut it to sit closer to the body like the jdm ones.

Comment

I'll wait for a better picture, but in the mean time I have 2 questions:
          Do you rally your 323, or is it on jack stands with the rear struts not connected?
          So now that the back of the bumper sits closer to the car, are you going to cut the wheel well part?

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
          On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
          My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

I had that idea the other day, took my bumper off and looked at it but all the little spots to secure it to the reinforcement would of been cut off....how did u keep the thing on?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
              Do you rally your 323, or is it on jack stands with the rear struts not connected?
              So now that the back of the bumper sits closer to the car, are you going to cut the wheel well part?
              I see a jackstand in that pic.
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
                agreed... are you going to cut the wheel well part? If you can find a viable solution for this and not have it come out hideous, I think you might have something here.

Comment

Just took my bumper off again and looked at it, yes it can be done but the major thing that will have to be done, to push the stock bumper in beyond an inch is to cut the main fiberglass support. I dont really want to do that but, if you dont care about it....yes its possible....the stocker sticks out 6 inches.... by my calculations, if you cut up everything to get minimum stick out, youd still be left with about 3 inches coming out...
                  sigpic

Comment

Today I'm going to cut the wheel well part and make the mounting brackets.

The side lense and where the license plate goes are where I'm going use to mount the bumper and hide the screws.

Right now theres only one screw holding the bumper where you mount the license plate.

My car sitting on one jackstand because the bumper hits the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by viper_707
                      well ya know how are bumpers stick out about a foot but the jdm ones are nice and close to the car. well he went ahead with are stock bumper and cut it to sit closer to the body like the jdm ones.
                      Ohh I get it,

Need better pix

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
                      98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

ive though of this many times....in the protege though.

AND if u want any JDM bumpers your fiberglass supports do not have to be cut..they have to be THROWN AWAY.

In any case...looks like a good project take a picture in the daytime so we can see better.

Comment

Originally posted by SPENONE
                          ive though of this many times....in the protege though.

AND if u want any JDM bumpers your fiberglass supports do not have to be cut..they have to be THROWN AWAY.

In any case...looks like a good project take a picture in the daytime so we can see better.
                          Anyone in the careful b/c in some states here in the removal of the crash guard is illegal.
                          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Top mount is to hold the bumper in place and the second one is the license plate
                            mount screw.

This how I cut the wheel wells.

This what it looks like mounted.

I still got the stock bumper which is red. I just wanted to try somethig different with this bumper my friend gave me.
                            Last edited by 323Foreword; 07-19-2005, 06:44 PM.

Comment

looks good!

Comment

Working...
                              X