How - To: V6 Swap Guide

Needed:
    Engine: KLZE/ KLDE / K8 (1.8)

Transmission:
    Mx3 GS V6
    Mazda 626 v6
    MAzda MX6 v6
    Probe GT V6
    Axles: Mx3 V6 GS ( dont know if the probe-mx6-626 ones will work haevnt tried)

ECU: 93-94 PGT - 93-94 MX6 - 93-94 626 ( all obd 1 ) - mx3 GS v6

*Whatever ECU u use u must use the proper vaf with it. If u use a ECU from a 2.5 u need to use a vaf from a 2.5, if u use a ECU form the 1.8v6 GS u need to get a VAF from a mx3 GS

Engine harness: Mx3 GS V6 /probegt/mx6 ls v6/626 v6

*i have been told that the probe/mx6/626 harness works

Extra Parts:
    Mx3 GS brake Booster Hose ( hose that connects from the brake booster to the Intake manifold)

Mx3 GS v6 Charcoal Cannister Hose ( hose on the mx3GS routes different)

Mx3 v6/probe GT/Mx6 ls/626 v6 Power Steering hoses:
    -The hose that bolts to the power steering pump to the rack and pinion, and the hose that connects to the p/s fluid cooler( metal hose that curves in front of the radiator) and screws into the rack and pinion.

* very important to make sure the power steering pump is in proper working order and is running with fluid. The k v6's need the p/s pump to run properly, since it runs on the same as the water pump etc.

Mx3 V6 GS Cross Member (probe-mx6-626 one wont fit)

Mx3 V6 GS Engine/tranny mounts ( u really dont need all of them, u really just need the passenger side, but it makes the swap process easier with the mounts already on the motor)

Mx3 V6 GS Shifter & Linkage (probe-626-mx6 wont work wont work at all, wont shift wont move at all, it can be forced on but it wont shift)

Probe - mx6 - 626 - mx3 V6 Y-pipe ( from manifold to flex pipe)

Mx3 v6 Exhaust or Custom (after flex pipe back to muffler)
    * you can use the oem exhaust from a GS it will just be a foot and a half shorter than the protege exh, but the hangers are the same.

Mx3v6-probe-mx6-626 heater hoses (should be still on engine)

The power steering and A/c should just connect to the protege lines as long as you use the lines FROM THE MOTOR to connect to the lines already on the protege.

* Just looka t it like this, anything that is connected to the motor (hoses - vaccum lines fluid lines etc)

What needs to be replaced:

New Radiator Hoses: different ppl have different methods and what to use to run the radiator hoses. I just went to Auto Zone and just went to the hoses, and just tried different ones until i got it right. You can just go buy some and return it until u get the right one..

you can use the OEM protege radiator, but u cant use the OEM radiator Size, u have to get the bigger diameter hose. Its 1 1/4 inch diameter(i think) whatever the size is for the v6 thats it.

New Radiator Fan - You can either flip the fan on the front side of the radiator... or get a slim fan VERY SLIM..lol. Ive heard that the Mazdaspeed protege Fan is very very slim, Mike Moss used one on his K8 setup.

Thats all i can think off so far...ill post up the swapping process tomorrow...anything i missed let me know.
    Last edited by jitb37; 09-16-2007, 05:49 PM.

you sir should be crowned the king of all V6->BG chasis knowledge
    1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Great information and explained very well!
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

Originally posted by T4TURBO
        you sir should be crowned the king of all V6->BG chasis knowledge

naw man, its really fairly easy. Just alot of people have alot of bad info... Got to clear it all up.

Comment

\so since im goin from k8 to bpt i can use all the mounts except the passenger side mount from any protege? Also do i need to swap over to a protege slave cylinder? Also i already put in the a fuse box and alt/starter battery harness from a 4cyl mx3 so that should be the same correct? Thanks for the help.

Comment

^^yes just follow everything reverse.. Dont need the protege slave cylinder. The 4cyl mx3 harness is the same... but u might want to use a protege harness since you using a bpt.

Comment

When i swap the AC lines over how do i decompress the system. Also What should i do for an external coil. Should i take one from the protege since i am going from the K8 that had an internal coil.

Comment

Just unbolt one of the hoses from the a/c compressor and do it outside or in a ventilated area

Or

take the plastic caps off one of the refil nozzles on the a/c line, and push it down with somthing....but i wouldnt recommend it the fumes arent too healthy.

Yea just gab the coil form the protege, it should still be attached to the harness that u are using, or the wires for it shoudl be attached..

Comment

thanks. So the ac lines that are in the gs wont bolt up to the compressor that came with the bpt i gota get the lines outa a protege?

Comment

Some will, some wont...but most of them route a little differently.

Comment

Jeez... didnt realized I needed AC lines.... oh well that will have to be something that gets worked on after the motor is running.
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Yea they all endup in the same place to the same plug on the condensors and into the inside of the car. But the hoses route differently around the motor to get there, i hope that makes since.

Comment

yeah I understand... same hoses/plugs, just different ways of getting there.
                          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Just in case, dooo not use axles/spindles/suspension components off of a 95 Mx3... either it wont fit, or u will need everything else to go with it. Try as hard as u can to use only up to 94 parts. not sure abou the electical stuff tho..

i learned the hard way...

Comment

Woah, I totally didn't see this thread. Great write up, jitb!

Post some pics!
                              My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                              - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X