Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saweetness.....how much total cost did you spend? Might be a swap i can think bout gettin into.

TIGHT
    Maroon 1995 Probe SE
    Beige 1994 Protege DX
    Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

Buy an MX-3 and if you do things right, you can sell the remains of the car and make back all of your money...maybe more. Trust.
      My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
      - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

i really didnt spend anythign ont he swap itself, b/c i just swapped motors/trannies etc, with my friend.

my estimate abot how much it shoudl cost:
        v6 - 500-650$
        tranny - 150$-300$
        Linkage -- crossmember = 60-75$
        ECU - 50-75$
        Hoses - random stuff and all the little stuff - 60$

best bet is to find a junked GS, and buy u a KL motor, and it will could be done soooo easy..

Comment

*Edit*

The Mx6 LS - Probe GT V6 trannies do work with the KL swap in the protege, along with the clutch etc.

The gearign is different Top End gearing is shorter. - And the 1-2nd gears are longer. Depends on your preference neither one is better, just depends on what u want to do..

Comment

Witch one are the best engine the BP or the KL(V6)?????

I ask in terms of performance, speed, time etc
            '93 Protege DX 5spd'
            2" Exhaust System
            2.5" Custom Intake System
            Other minor tuning (timing, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Protege Driver
              Witch one are the best engine the BP or the KL(V6)?????

I ask in terms of performance, speed, time etc

best it too objective. What are you power goals, and budget?

each motor has its pros and cons to it. You need to define what you want from the swap, and how much ou want to spend. I would then start a thread about what your plans are. This thread is for the how-to and not really related. Search as well, as there are many threads that cover the v6 vs. BP decision.
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

^^the man speaks truth. if u make a thread...ill tell u waht i think..

Comment

bringing this back...i have one final question

I have been getting some mixed info regarding the trans/axles/subframe.

Ok, we know the MX3 subframe is 30mm wider than the Protege, and when you using the MX3 trans and axles, i can't help but think that 30mm would have an effect on the axles. (i.e. binding from being a hair over a 1/2" too short per side)

In my race class, i cannot swap the subframe, which would probably be the ideal setup, so in your oppinion, how would the axles fair with the Protege subframe under racing conditions (i.e. hard as piss driving )

Comment

Wouldn't the v6 axles (being a part of the stock MX-3 setup) be 30mm too long, as opposed to the BP axles that were in there before?

I got the BP axles to work in my MX-3 w/o issue, and they should be 15mm too short on each side.
                    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

yea, i asked jitb that, and he said the length is fine, bolts right in. i was worried about that too glad to see you're really going over the scenarios MazdaRacer, i'm paranoid about things going wrong, so i think EVERYTHING through

but jitb said you can also use the probe/mx6 tranny, and so does everyone on mx-3.com i've been told they have a longer 1st/2nd and 5th so you can rip over 100km/h in 2nd and possibly be under 3,000rpm in 5th at the same speed.

im guessing with that, you'd just use the mx-3 shiftlinkage.

also, i have a question why cant you use a probe/mx6 wiring harness? because technically speaking if you had a probe/mx6 all you would need for the swap would be mx3 axles and crossmember.

JACK
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

there's a good chance that the extra 30mm isn't created inbetween the transmission and the axles though, could possibly be the spindle and out.

i hope that makes sense...eeek.

JACK
                        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

the difference is in the subframe, the control arm ends (where a tie bar would mount to) are further apart. I don't know if this was done to just get a wider track width or if it was deemed necessary by Mazda for the V6...???

and i've been told the PGT and MX3 use the same gearing, while the MX6/626 use the taller gearing....again...?????

I realize they bolt up i am wondering about their longevity under racing conditions and/or possible tranny damage.

Comment

Im not 100% sure on the probe/mx6 harness, i never tried it.. I dont see why it wouldnt work, but that that would be narrowing down you to 94 probe GT OBDII only, instead of 91-93 mx3 OBD1.

I dont think its in the spindle, i have 1 mx3 spindle and one egt spindle....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered
                              yea, i asked jitb that, and he said the length is fine, bolts right in. i was worried about that too glad to see you're really going over the scenarios MazdaRacer, i'm paranoid about things going wrong, so i think EVERYTHING through

JACK
                              hehehe, i dunno bout that, i just haven't had time (or luck finding all the parts needed) so i am making sure that when i do finally find the dang parts, i get the right ones.

I've already taken WAAAAY too long to do this swap...somedays i think to myself, **** it, leave the BP in it and just drive the fuker...then other days, i think, **** it, i WANT the damn V6, as i've already gathered 90% of the parts. and sad to say, i've had a KLDE sitting in my garage the WHOLE time...yet another back and forth mind ****...but i am determined to use the KLZE...just makes sense to get the best possible power.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                                the difference is in the subframe, the control arm ends (where a tie bar would mount to) are further apart. I don't know if this was done to just get a wider track width or if it was deemed necessary by Mazda for the V6...???

and i've been told the PGT and MX3 use the same gearing, while the MX6/626 use the taller gearing....again...?????

I realize they bolt up i am wondering about their longevity under racing conditions and/or possible tranny damage.

as far as longetivity dont know... only time will have to tell, but i do know that a motor mount upgrade is a must if u plan on racing it, the mounts go out quick on them. But it might take soem abuse... b/c my car did drop about 1 inch more in the front.

Comment

Working...
                                X