This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by made in china
    Does anyone know if the automatic trans from the V6 drivetrain would fit in the Protege?? Or, has anyone worked with or around the V6 auto?? I'm curious as to whether or not the auto transaxle is too large for the Protege??

Or, did the MX-3 V6 have a automatic trans option?? I guess if it did, the auto should fit, right??

I'm sure some people will wonder what the heck is wrong with me....but I prefer autos!

What the heck is wrong with you?

I've never heard of anyone trying what you're thinking of doing.

Comment

it will work the same.. it should

Comment

ATX is better for drag racing.

They should be roughly the same size. Swapping MTX to ATX would be a first since most want to do the exact opposite. Oh and I would look for an upgraded torque converter, or find a way to mod the stock one, b/c as with most mazda ATX's the tq converter wont stand up to much power at all.... hell the Protege 5's come with a plastic torque converter.... weight/cost reduction FTW.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
          ATX is better for drag racing.

They should be roughly the same size. Swapping MTX to ATX would be a first since most want to do the exact opposite. Oh and I would look for an upgraded torque converter, or find a way to mod the stock one, b/c as with most mazda ATX's the tq converter wont stand up to much power at all.... hell the Protege 5's come with a plastic torque converter.... weight/cost reduction FTW.
          Plastic? WTF

I wonder how that holds up with the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
            Plastic? WTF

I wonder how that holds up with the heat.

it does perfectly well for stock power. You get more than 150 bhp on the stock atx and things go to ****. The upgraded torque converter requires a large input shaft so that has to be replace as well if you get the $1200 metal torque converter upgrade.

This is why I will probably just trade my p5 in for a MS3.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

edited probe/mx6/626 tranny does work with the swap..

Comment

wow, a plastic torque converter. . . thats a new one on me. they got any cardboard exhausts or paper spark plugs in stock around your area?
                sigpic

Comment

wow man ur amazing i agree with t4turbo...king... i hope to do the v-6 swap to my 94 dx protege...my bro has a v-6 mx-3 so i wanna do this so i can keep up..hands down man if i do this to my car im usin ur directions!

Comment

I just wanted to add that you WILL need to swap out to the mx3 lca's for the swap. the axles for the swap are longer and you will bind if you dont swap them.
                    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

you are like a mazda genius, i hope to use your directions my brother has a mazda mx-3 v-6 and hes getting a new motor, so hes going to give me the old one, thanx for the info dude

Comment

UPdate!!

i have been told that the Probe/mx6/626 Harness works with the pro/gt harness..

Comment

^ what
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37 View Post
                            UPdate!!

i have been told that the Probe/mx6/626 Harness works with the pro/gt harness..
                            Good to know info.
                            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i havent tried it myself but my very very reliable mx3 buddy has told me... about 2 years too late...lol

Comment

so you are saying that now we could use a probe or mx6 as a donor car to swap everything or we still need parts from the mx3. i seen a probe for $850
                                ANGEL

Comment

Working...
                                X