This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attn New Members: Frequently Asked 2nd Gen Questions

There has been an influx of new 2nd gen members which is awesome, and while I understand that majority of you are new to car modifying, there is no reason why you cant search. However, either laziness or inability from previous experiences proves me wrong... and I have compiled a list of most commonly asked questions, with either:
    * threads that link to the answer, or at least more info
    * my own personal reply

Now new members, this goes out to you guys... please note the buttons on the top of the page, in the right corner there is the "search" button and the "faq" button.
    Please skim through the FAQ, and any answers you dont find in there or in here, or by searching, THEN post it in the appropriate forum.

This way we dont clutter the forum with common questions that are repeatedly answered on a weekly basis. So here goes!

**NOTE** THIS IS NOT A COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF ALL THREADS ON THE GIVEN TOPIC, THIS IS MERELY JUST TO GIVE A PLACE FOR NEW MEMBERS TO START... IF YOU SEARCH MORE YOU WILL FIND MORE INFO

I have a 1.5L second gen and I want more power, what are my options?
    Sorry, you have no real options.
    The most you could do is put an air intake on it, advance the timing on it, and put an exhaust on it. All together you are only looking at approx 5-7 hp and between $200-$700 depending on how good of a deal you get and the quality of the products and whether or not you do it yourself. The idea of toying with the BP throttle body is being researched currently by a few members... however nobody has sucessfully done it yet.

There are people who are in the process of turboing their 1.5L but nothing is complete yet. This is however a lot of work, and the pricing can range anywhere from $1000-$4000

You could also do a performance rebuild on the 1.5L, parts are available... but its not worth it dollarwise, as well as nobody has done it... this can also range from $2000-$3000

There is the final option of a motorswap, which is also a lot of work... and can also range from $1000-$4000 if you include a rebuild

Im thinking of doing some major work to my engine myself, anything I should know?
    YES!! Read this:

Is there a chip made for the 1.5L?
    Check the following links for more info:

I would like some info on making a CAI please

I would like some info on a 1.8L swap please.. or any 2nd gen swap for that matter
    Check the flollowing links for more info:

My 1.5L engine drives funny... sputters, idles rough, stalls... ect

I would like info on turboing my 1.5L

Is essential speed a good place to buy from?
    Hell no.

I want cross drilled rotors, but do they actually do anything?

Why does it seem like all new members get flamed or insulted?
    Nobody here has a problem with someone new to the forum or people who are less knowledgable, members just get frustrated when the same thing gets answered repeatedly as a result of new members not wanting to search. If you as a new member gives an honest attempt at a search, and still did not find what you were looking for, please post... and it is unlikely that anyone will be upset.
    I am not saying the answer for everything will be found through searching, however as you could see by what I have just done, lots of the answers to common questions CAN be found!

So hopefully this helped out a little bit, current members... if there is anything you would like to add to this, please do so... this thread will be sticky'd.
    Last edited by pigeon; 09-21-2005, 11:27 AM.

Also, please DO NOT ask any questions in this thread... it is to be used as a reference.
    Info can be added to it if I missed anything, but if you need to know something and you cant find the answer in here, in the FAQ, or by searching... then start a new thread in the appropriate forum.... but not in this thread... lets keep this one neat.

Comment

I'd get this sticky-ed, otherwise it'll just get buried

Comment

It has now been sticky-ed. Definitely a good idea.

Comment

thank you, hopefully people will see this, thus saving my sanity, 'cause I'm sick and tired of sorting through all the worthless threads I keep seeing pop up year after year.
          95 ES
          05 S60R

Comment

We forgot the electric supercharger!

NOTE:
            If you see an "electric supercharger" or anything like that on eBay (prices ranging from $20 to over $300), DO NOT BUY IT. It won't work!!! If it isn't belt-driven (supercharger) or exhaust-driven (turbocharger) it will not do anything!

Comment

nice thread, will def. check most of the links out haha

ps: can i borrow the idea for another forum?
              Originally posted by 90prtege
              have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
              Originally posted by Turpro
              Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
              CRZbrussian: that sux
              CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
              CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

what idea?

Comment

He probably wants to copy&paste this on msprotege. It's all good... it'll bring all the 2nd genners here. lol

Comment

oh lol
                    ya go for it man, i dont care..haha

Comment

I hope itz a new? lol. I need help on engine size.

hey do u kno if a 2.0L will fit inside a 1997 protege. i hear alot about not being able to mod a 1.5 that much. well what about a 1.8L. what can you do with that and then also wat can you do to a 2.0L. i would really appreciate it and do you know were i could find a 1.8 or 2.0L engine?
                      -new protege-needz help-any suggestions-

Comment

if i have a 97 protege does it matter if i put a 2000 year model engine inside of it. what would be the ups and downs (good and bads) if so.
                        Last edited by loverboi2; 03-12-2007, 05:24 AM. Reason: wasnt done
                        -new protege-needz help-any suggestions-

Comment

If you want to put a 1.8L in, it has to be from a 97-98 to fit in with relative ease
                          the 2.0 will not work, nor will the 99+ 1.8L

You could use a 1.8L from a 90-96 however things get complicated.

Comment

I have a 96 LX 1.5 What year engines can I apply to this, I did find an ES Protege probabaly 95 or 96 at a used dealer ship if a Manuel should i just switch cars or stick with mines and find a 1.8 that will fit( if so want to get 92 1.8 miata mx-5) also want to get G tranny since its alot stronger any recomends

Comment

If you could find a 95 ES Protege with a Manual transmission, you will be better off. It comes with the BP and the G tranny from the factory.

If you did a motor swap, you would need the engine harness, ecu, and engine from a 95 or 96 ES Protege. The F or G tranny will bolt up, you just gotta use the corresponding flywheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X