what thermostat do you all use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what thermostat do you all use?

At the Pep Boys Counter, the only choice that they have is a stant one.

I just think that it is weird that for the most part, my car won't overheat unless the thermostat is installed.

What thermostat do you run?

Thanks

My car is a 92 dx
    93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Former Car: 92 Protege DX 5 spd.

I went to mazda dealership and got an OEM one.

Not sure what brand it is...maybe mazda made, I have no idea...
    Eat ****.

Comment

the stock one
      Joe H
      2000 Chevy Impala
      3400 3.4 Liter V6
      Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
      U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
      Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

Originally posted by Vash00es
        the stock one
        Oh my God does it include rolling eyes?
        93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Comment

If it only overheats with the thermostat in, I'd be looking to your water pump more than the thermostat itself.

You car shouldn't overheat with the recommended part. If you have replaced it and it is still overheating, you have other problems.
          BG Astina + GTR convertion + Microtech ECU + FMIC + 3" Exhaust x 21psi boost = 12.168sec to the power of 326whp

Here's My Worklog and My YouTube Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ROB-80E
            If it only overheats with the thermostat in, I'd be looking to your water pump more than the thermostat itself.

You car shouldn't overheat with the recommended part. If you have replaced it and it is still overheating, you have other problems.
            This overheating is somewhat illusive, meaning it now overheats with the thermostat out!
            93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

check your water pump and see if your radiator is cloged
              94 Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by rage557
                check your water pump and see if your radiator is cloged

You can see the water pump pushing water through the radiator, the pump looks alot newer than the rest of the engine

I tried flushing the radiator.

I probably need a new radiator. When I get a few bucks ill try it out...but summer will be ending by that time.

hmmm
                93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

one thing ive learned, start with the cheaper part and work ur way up, then when u find it weather it be the t-stat, water pump or radiator, itll all be new and installed....lol
                  personaly i put in a 180 t-stat just cuz i know i have a lead foot and the engine will run a little hotter with the pedal to the floor all the time, heat works just as good, i believe better cuz theres more hot water actualy running through it in my belief

Comment

Yes Radiator cap is something to look at....but, just because you can see the water rushing with the cap off....how do you know what the water is flowing like when pressure inside the radiator starts to build? The pump might be failing under pressure.
                    BG Astina + GTR convertion + Microtech ECU + FMIC + 3" Exhaust x 21psi boost = 12.168sec to the power of 326whp

Here's My Worklog and My YouTube Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ROB-80E
                      Yes Radiator cap is something to look at....but, just because you can see the water rushing with the cap off....how do you know what the water is flowing like when pressure inside the radiator starts to build? The pump might be failing under pressure.
                      might very well be, the cap is new BTW

Also, when I say that the pump looks new, I am referring to the back of the casting looking way newer than the rest of the motor. I have no idea what the blades on the thing look like, and I'd bet its not a pep boys parking lot job either
                      93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

Originally posted by mazdaspeed?
                        one thing ive learned, start with the cheaper part and work ur way up, then when u find it weather it be the t-stat, water pump or radiator, itll all be new and installed....lol
                        personaly i put in a 180 t-stat just cuz i know i have a lead foot and the engine will run a little hotter with the pedal to the floor all the time, heat works just as good, i believe better cuz theres more hot water actualy running through it in my belief
                        I don't have a lead foot at all. I agree with what you are saying, luckily its gonna cool down soon and hopefully buy me some time.
                        93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

Working...
                        X