Announcement

Collapse

Merged Threads

All threads have been merged into regional general discussions.
If you need a thread moved to a specific state, Please PM a moderator
See more
See less

Discovering Our Industrial and Technological Past in the Northeast

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovering Our Industrial and Technological Past in the Northeast

As someone with an intense interest in technology, as are obviously most members of this Forum, I'm also interested in the area of industrial archaeology which deals with the preserving, interpreting and documenting of our industrial and technological past and its development. The field of industrial archaeology is increasingly supported by both academic institutions and interest groups in various areas. For those of you who might have some interest in this study, I'll list a number of institutions committed to historical preservation of this nature, that unless otherwise noted, my family and I have actually visited.

Starting with the Southern Tier region of New York State, the Wings of Eagles (National Warplane Museum) located at the Elmira-Corning Regional Airport, 17 Aviation Drive, Horseheads, NY, 14845. Website: www.warplane.org/windex.cfm
    An exhibit of military aircraft from World War II to the present, both piston engine and jet in addition to engines and auxiliary equipment.

Covering an even earlier era is the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome located in Rhinebeck, NY. Website: www.oldrhinebeck.org
    The Aerodrome features aircraft, automobiles, motorcycles, early engines and memorabilia from 1900-1930. Weekend airshows run from mid-June to mid-October. Saturday shows feature a variety of antique aircraft from the pioneer, World War I and Lindbergh era that take to the skies and the Sunday show features a World War I dogfight and barnstorming aircraft. This is the only site that I know of in this area where you can see planes flying with rotary (not radial) engines. The airshows are kind of hokey but they're a lot of fun and the kids love them.

Moving east to Connecticut, there is of course the Connecticut Antique Machinery Museum located just north of Kent and south of Kent Falls state park on Rt. US 7. Website: www.ctamachinery.com

I recently learned of The Golden Age Truck Museum located at 1101 Southford Road, Middlebury, CT, 06762. I haven't visited it yet so I can't vouch for it but check out the website: http://www.goldenagetruckmuseum.com
    According to the site, they have trucks on display from 1912-1985.

Also in Connecticut is located the New England Air Museum at Bradley International Airport, Windsor Locks, CT. This is one of the finest air museums with three exhibit hangars containing planes from all periods of aviation history including an excellent warbird collection.

Turning now to Massachusetts, there is a really impressive display of the history of America's Industrial Revolution located at Lowell, MA. This is the Boott Cotton Mills Museum with its operating weave room of 88 power looms, the "mill girl" boardinghouses and the Suffolk Mill Turbine Exhibit. The museum also includes textile mills, worker housing, over 5 miles of canals and 19th century commercial buildings. This museum holds particular interest for our wives and girlfrinds because of the large number of women employees who worked for the Mill and because it illustrates the tremendous cultural upheavals that women were forced to undergo because of the Industrial Revolution. It also demonstrates New England's great industrial past as an important manufacturing center that for the most part, for a variety of reasons, has long since disappeared. This museum is operated by the National Park Service and you can find the website at: http://www.nps.gov/lowe

On to Vermont for a visit to The American Precision Museum located at 196 Main Street, Windsor, VT, 05089. Website: www.americanprecision.org
    Included in the exhibits are machine tools, measuring devices, sewing machines, typewriters, firearms, precision hand tools and scale models. Here you can trace the evolution of machine tools from their crude early beginnings to the precision instruments they have become today. The collection of early turret lathes on display I found especially interesting. This area of New England was once an important machine tool manufacturing center and the museum stands as another example of the regions past manufacturing preemminence.

In New Hampshire, you train buffs might want to visit the Conway Scenic Railroad located in N. Conway, NH. Here, you'll find a collection of railroad equipment from the turn of the century to the 1950's. Even if you're not that interested in trains, you might want to consider taking one of the scenic train rides, especially the one to Crawford Notch, as the scenery is breathtaking.

Finally, Maine has the Seashore Trolley Museum located in Kennebunkport. Website: http://www.trolleymuseum.org
    An extensive collection of trolley cars and trolley car rides are available. Trolley cars were once an important part of America's transportation network and its interesting to look at their historical development especially in light of the renewed interest in contempoary light rail projects.

Obviously, I've only scratched the surface here as there are many other interesting sites to explore in search of America's past. Please feel free to post any other sites that you think might be of interest in this area.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 08-19-2005, 10:39 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

The Cradle of Aviation Museum, Garden City, NY

Before writing about this site, I wanted to actually visit it and my family and I were fortunately able to do so a few days ago. For those of you interested in the history of technological development in the field of aviation from its very beginnings to the present, this museum has it all. Check the website to learn what it has to offer and for travel directions:
    Long Island's Air and Space Museum. Over 75 air and space craft in 8 exhibit galleries, chronicling 100 years of aviation from hot air balloons to an actual lunar module. Planetarium shows daily in the Jet Blue Sky Theater Planetarium, or enjoy a film in the Leroy R. and Rose W. Grumman, National Geographic Dome Theater. Take a spin on the Historic Nunley's Carousel. Located on Museum Row in Nassau County Long Island, NY, we are easily accessible via major roads and parking is always free. A great museum for children and adults alike. A children's museum, science museum and history museum all rolled into one. Dedicated to preserving the past and inspiring future generations through science and technology.

For those of you not familiar with the geographical area, Garden City, NY is located on Long Island in an area known as the Hempstead Plains, a naturally treeless grassy plain that was an ideal site for airfields before the advent of suburban sprawl after World War II made the area a far-flung suburb of New York City. One of the most important airfields in this area was Roosevelt Airfield made famous as the take-off point for Charles Lindbergh's transatlantic flight to Paris in 1927. Because of its proximity to NYC, in the 1930's it was America's busiest civilian airfield. In June, 1951 it was closed and today lies buried under, what else?, a large shopping mall. Another important and historic airfield in the same area was Mitchell Field, like Roosevelt a center for early aviation pioneers and aircraft development. During World War II, it was an Army Air Corps base and later an Air Force base until 1961. Part of it still remains including some of the original hangers and, in fact, it is now the site of the Cradle of Aviation Museum.

During WW II, Long Island was a major center of military aircraft production and was home to two important manufacturers, Republic Aviation of Farmingdale and Grumman Aviation of Bethpage. Republic is best known as the designer and builder of the P-47 Thunderbolt for the US Army Air Corps and Grumman for its range of carrier-based fighters and torpedo bomber for the Navy.

Immediately after the end of WW II, the military cancelled all further piston engine development projects recognizing that the adoption of jet-powered aircraft was the only way to maintain air superiority. Republic's first offering was the P-84 Thunderjet that first flew in 1946. Powered by an Allison J35 engine with 4000 lbs thrust, it was capable of a top speed of 600 MPH. By the time of the Korean War, Republic was the largest producer of jet fighters in the Western World. Between 1955-64, Republic produced the F-105 Thunderchief powered by a Pratt & Whitney J-75-P-19 engine with 26,500 lbs thrust. Top speed of 1264 MPH was achieved (1420 with afterburner). In 1965, Republic was acquired by Fairchild Aviation and in 1973 the combined firm was given the Air Force contract to build a close-air support fighter, the A-10. It is said to be the most heavily armed and armored plane in history. It served in the Persian Gulf War of 1991 and is being flown in the present conflict. Of a total of 713 A-10's built through 1984, about 300 are scheduled to serve with the USAF until 2015. Subsequent to this, I believe all Fairchild Republic production facilities were moved out of Long Island to Winston-Salem, NC.

Grumman's major and best-known jet-powered aircraft was the F-14 Tomcat. Now calling itself Grumman Aerospace (because of its involvement in the space program), it was selected by the US Navy to build a carrier-based air superiority fighter. Powered by two Pratt & Whitney turbofan engines, each with 20,900 lbs thrust, it is capable of a top speed of 1544 MPH (Mach 2.34). It was first flown out of Grumman's test facilities at Calverton Airport on Long Island. In 1994, Northrup and Grumman merged and all production facilities were removed from the area.

All of the above-mentioned aircraft are on display at the Museum as well as planes and artifacts of all earlier eras including many examples of space hardware. Although the original resides in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, an identical copy of Lindbergh's "Spirit of St. Louis" is on display here. It is not a replica but an actual production model built by Ryan Aviation as part of its regular production run. Another curiosity on display is a rotary engine that was popular during World War I. The crankshaft was connected solidly to the fuselage and the radial cylinders and crankcase along with attached prop rotated around the axis of the fixed crankshaft. This made for improved cooling but at the expense of severe gyroscopic action acting on the airframe-especially noticeable in turns.

Although I'm a real aviation enthusiast in regard to the whole field, my favorite era is the WW II period because it represents the highest and most advanced development of the aircraft piston engine. With that in mind, I was particularly interested in two of the aircraft on display.

First, the P-47N Thundebolt. This was one of the three USAAC top line fighters of WW II, the other two being the Lockheed P-38 Lightning and the North American P-51 Mustang. Powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-2800, two row, 18 cylinder (2804 CID) air-cooled radial engine, it utilized a single-speed, single-stage supercharger fed by an auxiliary GE turbocharger. This enabled the engine to develop 2500 HP @ 2800 RPM and 2100 HP at 28,500 feet altitude and provided a top speed of 430 MPH. The two pilots who tied for 4th place ace status, Francis Gabreskie and Robert Johnson (28 enemy planes destroyed) both flew P-47's.

Second, the Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat. This was the premier carrier-based Navy fighter. Also equipped with a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engine but with a two-stage, two speed supercharger (no turbocharger), It developed 2000 HP @ 2500 RPM and had a top speed of 375 MPH. The top Navy ace of WW II, David McCampbell (34 kills) was an F6F pilot.

Last but not least, integral with the museum is an IMAX theater. Two of the three shows offered would be of special interest to our Forum members: Fighter Pilot and Nascar. We watched the Fighter Pilot film and it was breathtaking. It involved a training program run by the USAF from Nellis AFB in Nevada designed to teach combat tactics to fighter pilots. Over 120 fighter planes and pilots took part including some from other countries. If you want to get an idea of what dogfighting and ground attacks are like from the perspective of the modern fighter pilot, this is the film to see.

Our trip to the museum was an enjoyable and highly educational experience and I highly recommend it to anyone who has any interest in this area.

Happy Motoring!
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Some Additional Sites Memorializing Our Technological History

I've been told about these locations by friends but have not actually visited them yet, on my own, so I can't personally vouch for their quality.

Another museum located on Long Island in NY state, the American Airpower Museum, located in Farmingdale and housed in hangers built during World War II at Republic Airport, a state owned general aviation facility. Since Republic Aviation was located in Farmingdale, I believe the airport was once owned by Republic and used to flight test the warplanes they manufactured there during that war. In addition to static displays of WW II fighters and bombers such as the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and the Mitchell B-25 Medium Bomber, from time to time some of the planes are actually flown and arrangements can be made to fly as a passenger (although at some cost). As someone who's observed from the ground P-47's and P-51's streaking overhead with their piston engines running at full-rated power, I'll tell you it's a thrilling experience not to be missed. For more information, directions to the site, aircraft on display and possible flight schedules, check out their website:
      Upcoming Events EASTER EGG HUNT AT THE AMERICAN AIRPOWER MUSEUM Join us for the American Airpower Museum’s Annual Family Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, March 23rd, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Follow the bunnies and … March 10, 2024 Read More → Celebrating Black History Month – Remembering the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion and the […]

Another aircraft site is the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum, located in Geneseo, NY, a short distance south of Rochester. According to the website, the "Museum is dedicated to the restoration, preservation, display and flight of aircraft of the World War II and Korean War eras, as well as the recognition of all United states Military personnel fo their service and sacrifice." For directions, a list of aircraft on display and events, go to the website: http://www.1941hag.org/index.html

Now let's return back to earth and visit the Northeast Classic Car Museum, located in Norwich, NY about 45 miles northeast of Binghamton. This looks like a fascinating place as they claim to display nearly 125 of the finest classic automobiles from the turn of the century to the 1960's. The display includes Cadillac, Lincoln, LaSalle, Stutz, Pierce-Arrow and Willys-Knight. Additionally, several models of Packards Auburns, Cords and Duesenbergs can be viewed. To take just a few miscellaneous vehicles at random, how about a 1932 Ford "Woody", a 1950 Willys Jeepster and a 1965 Divco Delivery Van. I've saved the best for last; for you Franklin enthusiasts and fans, the museum has the world's largest collection. All the way from a 1903 Franklin Runabout to a 1928 Franklin Model 12A Sport Touring Dual Windshield. I must say, I'm impressed.

As a bonus, also on display are a number of historic aircraft engines. A variety of both piston and jet engines used in the B-17, B-29, B-36 and B-52 bombers and the F4 Phantom Jet Fighter. Something that might be of interest to any ladies who visit is the Fashion Classics display consisting of mannequins dressed in vintage clothing displayed alongside automobiles of the same period. Since the museum apparently has very limited opening hours, make sure you check with the website if you plan to attend:
      Buy Raffle Tickets 2024 Mustang Raffle Official Rules More Info Buy Tickets Dancing with the Cars 50’s-60’s Sock Hop Shake out that poodle skirt and bring your dancing shoes for an evening of live music featuring Bruce Beadle Band! Friday, April 12, 2024, from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM Get Your Tickets Since 1997 We’re the […]

That's it for now, except to say:

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Vintage Racing

Following along with our theme of investigating the historical antecedents of our present day technology, vintage racing provides a window into the past illustrating the evolutionary development of racing machinery as designers constantly sought to "improve the breed." Here, you can see how it used to be out on the track and compare it with the modern racing experience.

Lime Rock Park, 497 Lime Rock Road, Lakeville, CT, is scheduling the Rolex Vintage Festival (sponsored by BMW) on September 1-4, 2006. Although all the details aren't set, it's expected that nearly 200 vintage sports cars from the 1920s through the 1970s will be in attendance. These authentic vintage cars will compete in races on the track's 1.53 mile road course. On Sunday, September 3rd, there will be an Elite Concours in which you'll get a chance to see the cars close-up. Last years event featured Carroll Shelby in attendance and a collection of five pre-1920 Harley Davidson motorcycles, vintage trucks, Cobras, Ford GT-40s as well as many other interesting machines. More details at: http://www.limerock.com

Launching the well-known Laconia, NH Motorcycle Week, the United States Classic Racing Association (USCRA) will be sponsoring Vintage Laconia 2006. The USCRA is an organization devoted to the perpetuation of vintage motorcycle racing, by class, for bikes built in the period roughly from the 1940s to the 1980s. Here you will find many of the historic names and models such as Indians, Nortons, Ducaties, Triumphs, Benellies, Hondas, Yamahas, Parillas, BSAs and Harleys including the legendary AJS 7R (350cc), the Matchless G50 SOHC (500cc), the Norton Manx DOHC (500cc) and of course my own inimitable BSA Goldstar (500cc).

The first vintage event is scheduled for Sunday, June 11th, 2006 and consists of an ~ 1 mile road course laid out in the streets of Laconia. This is apparently the third year running of this race as the last time I was there with my family, 4 years ago, the races were held on the Belknap Mountain road circuit at the Gunstock Recreation Area a short distance from Laconia. This was the site of the AMA 100 Mile National Championship road race held from 1938 to 1963 before the construction of New Hampshire International Speedway (NHIS) at Loudon, NH.

On Monday, June 12th, the vintage racers will compete at NHIS on its 1.6 mile road course for the North American Vintage Championship title. This race is internationally sanctioned by The FIM, North American Motorcycycle Union (NAMU), AMA and USRC. BTW, if you haven't yet seen sidecar racing, you have no idea what you're missing. An additional benefit if you attend this race is that you will also get to see the FIM/NAMU 125cc GP North American Championship Race. These are not boy racers but factory built true GP machines whose lap times approach those of the big superbike racers. Thus, you'll get a chance to compare the best of the old technology with the best of the new. Something that doesn't happen too often. For further information:
        Unites States Classic Racing Association -- all about vintage motorcycle racing

Empowering Wellness, Inspiring Change

I know that Lime Rock Park and NHIS run many racing events but please don't post them here as they belong in a separate thread.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
        X