idle adjustment screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle adjustment screw

When I first got my protege it wouldidle really high(after reaching operating temp) about 1200,1250. the 1st thing I did was adlust the idle screw so idle would drop to 750. It worked until I was braking for a stop sign/red light or clutch in with 1st engaged rpm would drop really low(500 or so). I ended up findin the aic as the culprit and replaced it with a used one from ebay for 20 bucks- a very good deal I may add as this item is.. shall we say, pricey. That fixed the **** out of it. my concern now is that rpms still drop to about 600 650 while cluch engaged and in first, which I think may be a left over side effect from when I adjusted the screw to compensate for high idle. What I want to know is the PROPER way to adjust idle with this screw. Ive searched the archives and got a few different procedures on this. Any help/ input would be great. Thanks.
    DX BP swap/turbo build

your supposed to reset the ECU for it to take effect.

I did mine w/o reseting the ECU and I have not had any problems.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
      your supposed to reset the ECU for it to take effect.

I did mine w/o reseting the ECU and I have not had any problems.
      I had the battery disconected when i put on aic and before i replaced it when i set idle down to 750 i disconected battery and let set for an houe or so. I always do that when i move the screw
      DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

did you jump ten and GND in the Diagnostics box?

Oh and you dont have to wait as long if you disconnect the battery and mash the brake pedal..

Comment

Originally posted by D323
          did you jump ten and GND in the Diagnostics box?

Oh and you dont have to wait as long if you disconnect the battery and mash the brake pedal..
          Thats what I was wondering. I read that about the diagnostic box, but i was also getting some oter info as well. so i shold jump ten to grnd, then adjsut rpms accordingly.
          DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92dx
            Thats what I was wondering. I read that about the diagnostic box, but i was also getting some oter info as well. so i shold jump ten to grnd, then adjsut rpms accordingly.
            I knew you had to do that to adjust timing, but not adjust idle
            DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

I havent done it in a long time lemme see, I remember someone doing a write up.

bah cant find it, but here is a good thread about it.

idle as well according to that thread.

Comment

should i jumper the terminals while the engine is running or jumper 1st then start and adjust
                DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

Erm I just adjust the screw and it works...my current problem is that my idle stays high for a while then drops down...not like cold start, this happens after driving when at idle at a stop...

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                  On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                  My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

but it only does it when you're holding the clutch down to the floor, waiting to let it back out, right?

Comment

The reason for it to stay idling high is the dashpot. There is a little screw that points up and presses against a diaphram. Turn that bolt loose a turn or two and lock the jam nut. Tha should help you. You don't need to reset the ecu in order to adjust idle. That just doesn't make any damn sense. Its a manual adjustment not electronical.
                      Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by 92_2_fast
                        The reason for it to stay idling high is the dashpot. There is a little screw that points up and presses against a diaphram. Turn that bolt loose a turn or two and lock the jam nut. Tha should help you. You don't need to reset the ecu in order to adjust idle. That just doesn't make any damn sense. Its a manual adjustment not electronical.
                        But the car trys to compensate electronically. I know i screwed with the screw for awhile! Pun intended!
                        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

How could you adjust it then reset the ECU...if it "compensates" as you say, you'd adjust it to the right idle, reset the ECU and it would idle different. You'd never get it right. And it's mechanical as said.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                          On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                          My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
                            How could you adjust it then reset the ECU...if it "compensates" as you say, you'd adjust it to the right idle, reset the ECU and it would idle different. You'd never get it right. And it's mechanical as said.

anyone else notice difrent gas milage after adjusting the screw?

my idle stay up at about 1g for about a second then drops witch i dont mind but after adjusting the screw difrent direction i get difrent gas milage... or is it just my imagination?
                            "im not a mechanak, but i can "WING IT"

"no i cant spell"

ill add some pics soon

Comment

It did adjust my mileage/air-fuel ratio on my BF based Tracer which is a older simpler design. Is the mileage alot different or just alittle?
                              **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                              95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Working...
                              X