no more turn signals...what did I miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no more turn signals...what did I miss

So after taking my valve cover off (which requires detaching a lot of ****...see here) and painting it, after reassembly my turn signals no longer work. I was 99% sure I plugged everything back in...did I miss some small plug somewhere that removing the valve cover would have interfeared with?

I also repaired some stuff in my short throw shift lever but that was no where near anything to do with my turn signals. I just happened to do it at the same time.

My only thought is that since my dash is currently torn apart there is something missing to complete a circuit? I have the hazard button detached right now (and I'm at work an hour away from my house where it is - or I would put it on and try it) would that affect the turn signal's ability to function? I'm going to go play with stuff at lunch, but don't know where to start...

I'm trying to avoid getting a ticket on the way home (saw 3 cops on the way to work...luckily while on straight roads that I did not have to deviate from).

My only other thought is that there is a blown fuse (or fusable link - god those are fun, NOT)...but I'm not sure what fuse the turn signals run off of. And to be honest I don't think I any of the fuses are blown right now because EVERYTHING else works, head lights, brake lights, cruise control, AC/windows heater, etc.

I did blow my Radio fuse (15a) the other day when trying to power my powerbook from a cigarette lighter power strip with too thin gauge of wire attaching it to the stereo power leads. Some minor smoke came out of one of my vents, possibly from some fried insulation on a wire...but the turn signals worked after that happened for the remainder of the day until I started the projects this weekend where I disconnected everything.

It is possible that I overheated something in my stereo bay and the wire became brittle and broke when I took everything out, but I doubt it. Are there even turn signal leads in the stereo din area anyway?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide!
    Coming soon...
    http://www.jonkinney.com/protegeES

Its possible that you had a power surge and blew both bulbs
    94 Protege LX

Comment

blew

Originally posted by rage557
      Its possible that you had a power surge and blew both bulbs
      I suppose...but they were working after the surge and fuse blew for the remainder of the drive home.

The other thing I didn't mention is that it doesn't even click when I put them on (left or right). The green dash lights don't blink either so it's wiring somewhere. They (the turnsignals) don't even know they're being engauged. My headlights and brights work though (on the same control arm) weird...
      Coming soon...

Comment

So non of the turn signals work? front and back?
        94 Protege LX

Comment

yup

Originally posted by rage557
          So non of the turn signals work? front and back?
          that is correct, which leads me to believe I just didn't plug some damn wire back in somewhere...but where
          Coming soon...

Comment

yes...it IS A HAZARD!!!!

Thanks Edwin! I also came to that conclusion after rechecking every connection under my hood during lunch. The car interior is 1/2 torn apart but I'm still driving it, parts strewn everywhere but no hazard button...it's 60miles away sitting in my console in my garage. I hope no cops are behind me when I go to turn on the various roads on the way home!!!!
            Coming soon...

Comment

use hand signals if there is. That's still legal, I think.

Comment

Working...
              X