Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help; power surge??, Lights dim with pm flucuation

Hello all,

I just picked up a 91 Protege LX and I noticed that my rpms surge from 750-900 rpm, and when it does that my lights (interior lights, headlights, taillights) all go dim and back to bright with the flucuation. The lights also go from dim to bright while I'm driving, so it looks like I'm flashing people. It seems like there is a power surge, like a sudden loss of power that dims the lights. The car also surges a bit if I keep a steady foot on the accellarator.

There is no loss of power,, however, and my cars starts right up (so far), and the battery light is not coming on. Could this be an alternator on the way out (it looks original). Could it be a distributor?

The car has 149K.

Thanks!!! I need this car to shuttle me back and forth from the airport, so I can't have it die on me.

Well, since I I didn't receive any responses, I took the car to a couple of shops around my area and it's been determined that it's my alternator, which is what I thought it was all along. Apparantly it's overcharging my battery, which is what's causing the surges. It'll cost about $200 to replace, parts and labor for a rebuilt part with one-year warranty.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Working...
    X