Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt

Hi

I just bought a protegé today the car has 108000km and the timing belt hasnt been change yet... should i be worried....

when did you guys changed yours??

thanks

ALex

I didnt!
    Just drive it untill it brakes, no biggie. From what I understand you should be able to pull at least some 120,000 mi / 200,000km. Even though it should be changed at 60,000mi / 100,000km.

Comment

owners manual on my 03 says 105,000 miles before changing

Originally posted by zerocover
      I didnt!
      Just drive it untill it brakes, no biggie. From what I understand you should be able to pull at least some 120,000 mi / 200,000km. Even though it should be changed at 60,000mi / 100,000km.

Comment

so does this means that i dont have to be worried about it for now??

if it brake will it damage my motor??

thanks

ALex
        Last edited by alexplicit; 09-06-2005, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I guess I should change mine as well. I am over 100,000km

Comment

old thread sorry.....
            but my protege has 167k miles on it with original timing belt on it.
            1997 mazda Protege LX -4 12" subs,clarion DVD player,clarion H/U
            1998 fordF-150 -lowered 6" 20in rims,custom flames,roush side exit exhaust...etc.
            1993 Ford Probe GT -New project.
            advertisement car:1993 acura NSX ,widebody kit,lambo orange paint,etc.
            new advertisement car-1991 nissan 300ZX TT

Comment

Good for you. Mine lasted 91,000 before breaking.
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Follow the manual! For my 2002 P5, manual says to change it at 100,000 miles. That's what I will do. Wether or not it 'looks' bad. Why risk it? And why risk being stranded when it breaks. Plus, I hear that some engines do incur significant damage when it breaks but I don't think these are Mazdas. Would you put off oil changes and other maintenance too? Want to keep them running as long as possible.... perform the maintenance.

Comment

Our engine is a non-interference type, so that when the timing belt breaks, the valves will not collide with the pistons. No damage will occurr, it will just shut off. Probably in an intersection at 5:30 PM blocking traffic in 4 directions.
                  2002 Mazda P5, Sunlight Silver
                  2001 Mitsubishi Galant, LS/V6, White Pearl
                  1969 Chevelle SS, 396/Turbo 400, Blue w/white rally stripes

Comment

S#!+. I didn't realze this was an old thread when I answered. Hate it when I do that.
                    2002 Mazda P5, Sunlight Silver
                    2001 Mitsubishi Galant, LS/V6, White Pearl
                    1969 Chevelle SS, 396/Turbo 400, Blue w/white rally stripes

Comment

my 2000 protege 1.6l manual says to inspect at 80,000 kms and change at 160,000 kms. (50,000 miles and 100,000 miles) which seems high... but whatever...

so you guys says these engines are non-interferrence. all of em for sure? I wouldn't want to break the belt on my 1.6l thinking it's not an issue, when whosaid it was non-interference was talking about the 2.0l.... lol..

Comment

Originally posted by RknRusty
                        Our engine is a non-interference type, so that when the timing belt breaks, the valves will not collide with the pistons. No damage will occurr, it will just shut off. Probably in an intersection at 5:30 PM blocking traffic in 4 directions.
                        This is correct. If it snaps, the valves and pistons will be ok because like he stated, the engine is non-interference. You will just has the annoyance of having it towed somewhere as the car will not be drivable until you replace the belt.

Comment

Zombie thread?

I just picked up a nice one owner '02 with 106k on the clock and will be doing a timing belt job. I found out the state of CA mandates that timing belts last at least 100k miles, so even though the mfr says 60k, it should last longer. If I had an interference engine, I'd start getting nervous around 80k, but that's just me.

I've done a little searching here and haven't found a good DIY belt thread for the BJ chassis. I'm a bit of a techno goob, so am I just missing it somewhere??
                          Last edited by A914Man; 07-09-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A914Man View Post
                            Zombie thread?

I just picked up a nice one owner '02 with 106k on the clock and will be doing a timing belt job. I found out the state of CA mandates that timing belts last at least 100k miles, so even though the mfr says 60k, it should last longer. If I had an interference engine, I'd start getting nervous around 80k, but that's just me.

I've done a little searching here and haven't found a good DIY belt thread for the BJ chassis. I'm a bit of a techno goob, so am I just missing it somewhere??
                            Not sure about a thread, but the field service manual has a section on it. Mine's due as well, waiting for cooler fall weather. Here's the manual online, you can also google around and download it.
                            2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

I feel not so smart. I just got a service manual CD rom, and today I see I can get the service manual for free. If I've got time and a spare set of hands, I'll try and take some pics of the belt replacement. I can't seem to find a good DIY timing belt replacement thread on this page.

Good looking engine in your avatar! Did you know with a little work you can put a type IV in that bug???

Comment

Working...
                              X