timing belt change-won't start now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing belt change-won't start now

Just looking for some feedback on this problem.
    I changed the timing belt and water pump on my 2000 Protege 1.8 liter. It started up, but sounded like crap--loud tapping noise so I shut it off. Came back the next day to examine the situation and it wouldn't start at all anymore.

I re-did the T-belt, thinking I was maybe a tooth off somewhere (I think I was). But still won't start. It doesn't even seem to be trying to fire anymore (it turns over, but doesn't even sputter or anything trying to start).

I'm trying to eliminate some variables that could be causing it. I bent two of the teeth on the crank trigger wheel slightly when removing the crank pulley. I straightened them as best I could and they are just slightly (maybe one degree to the left of their original position). But the car ran on MOnday in this condition. T-belt marks line up--even after tensioning and hand-cranking several revolutions to confirm they still line up.

The water pump is new also, but haven't been able to run the motor long enough to get operating temp to open the T-stat and let in more coolant.

I left the A/C and PS belt off to save time, but I did install the Waterpump/ alternator belt before trying to start it.

I had removed the plugs and re-installed them, but they may not be in the same exact cylinder they came out of.

All elect. connections have been checked and are secure. I still need to pull a plug and check for spark on my lunch break. I don't think I could've fried the coil pack, but who knows?

Any other ideas on what to check? Is it possible that I confused the ECU? Can I reset the ECu by disconnecting the battery?

I have done a few Miata T-belt changes and never had problems like this before so I'm not a total idiot, but I could also be forgetting something that's obvious to others. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    1992 Miata w/ T-3 Turbo @ 14psi, many other mods, also a 1991 Maxima SE 5spd

Came home over lunch to test spark. Got spark, cleaned and re-gapped plugs. The plugs were wet with gas from the starting attempt just prior to spark check. So I dried them and pushed the gas pedal all the way to floor and it started up!

Seems to be running well now, I got to operating temp to see if water pump leaks (I assumed Murphy's law would dictate that it would leak). It never did seem to "burp" to allow me to add more coolant, but I got everything hot with no leaks.
    TOnight I'll go back and re-assemble everything properly since I left a lot of stuff off for testing.

I'm glad to have it running, it was starting to piss me off.
    I guess the bent trigger-wheel teeth aren't a problem after all (so far at least).

IF anyone has questions about T-belts, shoot me an email--I've become very familiar with the process over the last 3 days!

Matt
    1992 Miata w/ T-3 Turbo @ 14psi, many other mods, also a 1991 Maxima SE 5spd

Comment

Working...
    X