X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^
    Welcome to CP.

Would you care to explain how reducing pumping losses (a component of FHP) in the intake duct leads to an increase in fuel consumption?

If you would rather bring warm air into the intake, simply install an SRI. If possible, locate the air filter as close to the exhaust manifold as possible for maximum heating effect.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

More air/fuel mixture is needed to heat colder air thus lower fuel economy.

Comment

And also melt your filter element. Happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
          More air/fuel mixture is needed to heat colder air thus lower fuel economy.
          Not exactly, the A/F mixture doesn't heat the intake air. The colder the intake air the greater its density. Since the MAF sensor meters on air density, the denser the intake air flowing through the MAF sensor, the more it will "instruct" the PCM to enrich the mixture to maintain stoich. Now, we know that the colder the intake air the greater the power output and the faster the car will move at a given throttle setting. Therefore, we can attain the same road speed at a smaller throttle setting than before. Couple that with the aforementioned reduction in pumping losses and you have a formula for reduced fuel consumption.

To be honest, when I undertook this intake mod I was primarily concerned with increased power output and not so much reduced fuel consumption. However, in the course of extended testing I found indeed a noticeable (but not overwhelming) improvement in fuel mileage also and so then had to construct a theoretical basis to explain this finding.

You may also find it of interest that Racing Beat (RB) was involved with Mazda USA in the development of the MP3. Go to their website for details. In the course of this development, RB tried a SRI in the hope of improving the intake. They found not only that it did produce more power but that it also adversely affected emissions forcing them to give up on the idea. The stock MP3 ended up with the same intake system as all other 2.0 L Proteges, for better or worse.

Happy Motoring!
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

I just don't see how colder intake air will increase fuel economy as that would violate the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics.

But I've been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
              I just don't see how colder intake air will increase fuel economy as that would violate the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics.

But I've been wrong before.
              The science of thermodynamics deals with relations between heat and work. It is based on three general laws of nature: the First, Second and Third Laws of Thermodynamics. For our purposes, the principles and methods of thermodynamics are used by the mechanical engineer in the design of steam engines and turbines, IC engines and jet engines. The three laws can be written in various ways and here are two possible ways of characterizing the first two:
              First Law of Thermodynamics - Commonly known as the Law of Conservation of Matter states that matter and energy can neither be created nor destroyed. The quantity of matter/energy remains the same although it can change from solid to liquid to gas to plasma and back again but the total amount of matter/energy in the universe remains constant. Another way of looking at it is that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. Thus you can see why the First Law is used extensively in the discussion of heat engines.

Second Law of Thermodynamics - Commonly known as the Law of Increased Entropy where entropy is defined as a measure of unusable energy within a closed or isolated system (such as a heat engine or the universe). As usable energy is utilized to produce work, over time it's converted into unusable energy. As usable energy decreases and unusable energy increases, "entropy" increases. Entropy is also a gauge of randomness or chaos within a closed system. As usable energy is irretrievably lost, disorganization, randomness and chaos increase.

No references are necessary here. Google is your friend.

Okay, now that we've defined the First and Second Laws, can we say out of hand the notion that colder intake air increases fuel economy is a violation of these laws? Well, damned if I know and it certainly isn't intrinsically apparent or self-evident to me as to why that would be so. But, hey, I'm no physicist so what do I know. Only that I've experienced a small but noticeable increase in fuel mileage after performing the intake mods which I continue to attribute to a reduction in pumping losses.

Now, tradosaurus, with respect, we've gone about as far as we can go here. This thread is long enough and I don't want it to become cluttered with material basically extraneous to its purpose. If you want to continue to pursue this topic, start your own thread in the General Automotive section so that interested Forum members can respond. A word of advice, however. It's not enough, for example, to say that some phenomenon violates the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics without stating why you believe this is so and giving supporting evidence. Otherwise you have no basis for starting the thread in the first place.

I'm sorry, but any further submissions on this particular topic here will be deleted.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
              X