Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've done the mods and have had zero problems.
    Emerald Mica 2k2 Protege DX
    Mods: Kartboy SS & bushings, Kartboy shift knob, mudguards, tint
    Sound: Alpine 9813, DEI 6.5 components, Adire Shiva, JBL 80.4, JBL 600.1, KnuKonceptz wiring

Comment

Does anyone have any pics of this "mod" yet? I would like to try it, but I want to see it first.
      MODS:
      I/E/SS/

"It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil."

Comment

Well since no one will post a pic of this mod, can you atleast photo edit mine?
        MODS:
        I/E/SS/

"It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil."

Comment

lol i hate when people dont attach pics, lol it sux
          .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
          225.94wtq
          torque monster!!!!
          dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
          http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
          http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I know. I put my stock intake back in to attempt this mod. I will try to do it at work tomarow (Wensday). If I get it done I will post pics tom. night. I have a Idea of a "mini" scoop inside the cut out area to direct air right into the intake. We shall see how it turns out.
            MODS:
            I/E/SS/

Comment

irish,

That's a great idea you have about building an air scoop. I had thought about blocking off the entire area around the snorkel air inlet so that all the air flowing through the grill would be forced into the inlet. I thought this might produce a useful increase in ram. However, I was concerned that rainwater might also be ingested since water could no longer 'fall away' from the inlet as described in the first post in this thread. I also thought that some air flow might be diverted from the radiator causing an increase in water temperature but simple observation of the temp gauge would reveal if this was a problem.

Alternatively, fitting a funnel-like piece in front of the air inlet might also be beneficial since this configuration is said to reduce air turbulence at the inlet which is why most scoops have this general shape.

You may have something entirely different in mind that would also work. Please let us know if you come up with anything workable. Good luck with your mod.

02 DX Millenium Red
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Ok, I had cut away the plastic in the area in question. I did notice some increse in over stock. I am going to run it for a tank of gas like it is. I have been brain storming and Idea for a "scoop". I think I have the answer. Cut away the bottom area, and manufacture a scoop. I am going to use fiberglass to get the angles I want. I will start on it next Monday. I will thake pics of the progress. I will also take a pic of what I have now, in the morning.

Joe
                MODS:
                I/E/SS/

Comment

Sorry it took so long to get the pic, but here it is

The edges are a little rough, but I plan to clean them up. I have a good idea on the scoop I plan to make. I will get started on monday. More to come.
                  MODS:
                  I/E/SS/

Comment

Thanks irish. Good job. This will give people a better idea of what's involved.

02 DX Millenium Red
                    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

If you look at the pic above you are looking down on the area I want to cut out. I am going to cut the bottom area out to fit a scoop down through.
                      MODS:
                      I/E/SS/

Comment

Sorry I have not had time to work on the scoop. I will try today. I'll post pics if I do anything.
                        MODS:
                        I/E/SS/

Comment

sweet! thanks for working this. things just keep getting in the way. I was going to start looking at this tomorrow, but then my wife volunteers to teach the base cops math stuff for their professional development, ALL WEEKEND. So now I have the daughter to keep an eye on too!
                          My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                          JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                          AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

I did not have the time on friday. We are getting 4 days off for thanksgiving, so its a mad house at work tring to get everything done. I will try to do it soon.
                            MODS:
                            I/E/SS/

Comment

in the autospeed article, the guy had gravity working on his as the air inlet was lower than the rest of the MAF and your mod has the inlet slightly higher than the MAF. with this mod, what's to prevent water from entering your intake system and into your engine if it rains?

Comment

Originally posted by kgo
                                in the autospeed article, the guy had gravity working on his as the air inlet was lower than the rest of the MAF and your mod has the inlet slightly higher than the MAF. with this mod, what's to prevent water from entering your intake system and into your engine if it rains?
                                Gravity, as such, in this case has little if anything to do with whether or not water can be drawn into the engine. Since the air pressure in the intake duct is generally always less than atmospheric due to the downward motion of the pistons on the intake stroke, it is the ambient atmospheric air pressure that can force water into the system if, in fact, water happens to be present.

In the Autospeed article, the air inlet to both the oil cooler and the induction system was located considerably lower on the car than is the case with the Protege. Therefore, ingestion of water would be much more likely due to roadside puddles and flooding in the case of the author's car (Audi) than it would be for our Protege's with their much higher mounted inlets. In addition, the system the author constructed was a completely sealed one from scoop to air box in order to maximize potential ram. Thus, any water entering the system could potentially be carried into the engine.

Now consider the Protege inlet. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the air inlet in the snorkel is located above the grill. Therefore, the entering air and any water that might be carried along with it has to flow upward to reach the inlet after passing through the grill. Presumably, since water is heavier than air it would be more likely to travel in a straight line and fall away from the inlet. That is why I consider the inlet to be a protected one in this case.

Now consider the snorkel itself. The snorkel contains 4 drain holes laid out along the bottom of the tube. Three of the holes are ~ .201" diameter (since a no. 7 wire gauge drill bit just fits inside them) and the fourth hole is slightly larger (larger than 7/32" and smaller than 15/64"). Presumably, any water that enters the snorkel will drain out through these holes and not be carried into the engine. Finally, the Helmholtz resonator also has a drain hole at the bottom of the tube although I have not yet measured its size.

I have run with the above mentioned mods for over one year now. Occasionally, I have driven through extremely severe rain storms for long periods of time without ever encountering any problems associated with water ingestion. I believe the car would have to pass through a wall of water almost as high as the hood itself for damage to occur.

As it is presently constituted, I think the system gets rid of unwanted ingested water more than adequately. However, at the same time it probably also reduces any ram effect that might be obtained by the forward motion of the vehicle. In a future post on this thread, I'm going to discuss methods of sealing the snorkel to possibly improve ram.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

Working...
                                X