Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could you please post the pics, i am much more a visual learner. thanks.

2000 White Protege LX
    Sumitomo 195/60HR14
    2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
    Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
    Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
    Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
    Kenwood Music Keg
    Black Widow Keyless Entry
    Intake- Custom SRI
    Clear Corner Lights
    APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

dbuenger,

Welcome to the Forum. Thank you for your positive comments about the article. When I completed this mod, I was surprised that the improvement in performance was so noticeable. I'm gratified to see that you also experienced a similar improvement.

Your explanation of Mazda not including the cutout because of manufacturing costs is an interesting one. I didn't realize that a mold with a cutout would be more complex, cost more to produce and wear out faster. As you point out, in the case of an economy car like the Protege, Mazda would want to reduce their production costs as much as possible as opposed to more expensive performance-oriented cars. As to the function of the MAF sensor screen, I agree with you that it is a protective device only.

If you could post some photos of your work I think it would be very useful and helpful. I'm sure many readers of this thread would appreciate it. Thank you again.
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

attached (hopefully) are photo's of how I did the mod. the first photo is an overall picture, the second is a close up with areas removed highlighted in red.

I elected to keep the two strengthen ribs and one of the plastic corners in tact. I figure the part still has 80% of it structure with only 15% of the surface area (although I'm not really sure how import it's structure is). I removed the material similar to goldstar's method, with the box cutter you see in photo 1. the only difference is I drilled holes around the edges of the areas to be cut away, essentially perforating the area. I than used the box cutter to cut the large plastic areas away and trim up the edges to make it look pretty. The plastic used on the part is quit soft so it cuts away very easily.

I hope this all helps those thinking about doing this modification. I'm still a little surprised at the amount of performance gained and would recommend to anyone looking for that extra kick.

I may be able to add something else to these posts. I was able to find and download the protege work shop manual. This is the manual the mechanics use when they work on our cars and shows in detail how to take apart just about any part of it. The file is really large so I can't post it personally, but I believe I saved the web site at work and will post it as soon as I find it.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dbuenger; 01-25-2004, 07:15 AM.

Comment

thank you so much

2000 White Protege LX
          Sumitomo 195/60HR14
          2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
          Kenwood Music Keg
          Intake- Custom SRI
          Clear Corner Lights
          APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

Originally posted by Brad
            thank you so much
            no problem!

Comment

does it make the engine louder as well as the performance increase?

2000 White Protege LX
              Sumitomo 195/60HR14
              2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
              Kenwood Music Keg
              Intake- Custom SRI
              Clear Corner Lights
              APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

does it make the engine louder as well as the performance increase?
                Brad, I noticed no difference in sound... except for the fact it revs up quicker!

Comment

allright cool, thanks, I'll get started on this after the snow melts lol.

edit: well until it stops snowing

2000 White Protege LX
                  Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                  2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                  Kenwood Music Keg
                  Intake- Custom SRI
                  Clear Corner Lights
                  APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

allright cool, thanks, I'll get started on this after the snow melts lol.

edit: well until it stops snowing

Let me know how it goes!

Comment

I will, thanks

2000 White Protege LX
                      Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                      2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                      Kenwood Music Keg
                      Intake- Custom SRI
                      Clear Corner Lights
                      APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

I performed this mod but I changed it a little bit. Instead of cutting the whole piece out, I cut the front and the sides of it. I then took a blowtorch (set very very low) and ran it along the edge still connected until it softened the plastic enough for me to bend it. I bent it down at an angle so that the air comes in through the grill and is forced into the intake. It doesn't look too pretty but I can sure feel a difference in the power. Not too bad for a free mod.
                        01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

I performed this mod but I changed it a little bit. I cut the front and the sides of the plastic piece and then took a blowtorch (set very very low) and ran it along the edge still connected until it made the plastic soft enough to bend it. I then bent it so that the air that comes in the grill is forced up into the intake. Not too bad for a free mod.
                          01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

i more noticed the change in my gas mileage. its a lot better now. but again, not bad for a free mod.

2000 White Protege LX
                            Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                            2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                            Kenwood Music Keg
                            Intake- Custom SRI
                            Clear Corner Lights
                            APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

Originally posted by TayTay
                              I performed this mod but I changed it a little bit. Instead of cutting the whole piece out, I cut the front and the sides of it. I then took a blowtorch (set very very low) and ran it along the edge still connected until it softened the plastic enough for me to bend it. I bent it down at an angle so that the air comes in through the grill and is forced into the intake. It doesn't look too pretty but I can sure feel a difference in the power. Not too bad for a free mod.
                              That's a very interesting idea! I wouldn't have thought of that myself. Sounds like a quick and dirty way to get a scoop-like effect at no cost.

02 DX Millenium Red
                              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by TayTay
                                That is an interesting idea. I was thinking about using some sheet metal or sheet plastic to do it somehow but never considered using the plastic that
                                was there. well done!

Comment

Working...
                                X